Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can i get some info for a paper I am writing on about the skiers discorse community?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am writing a English 1 college paper on the discourse community (or group) of skiers.
1. In particular I need to know what are some insider's terms (or specialized vocabulary) that skiers use (like heliskiing or double black diamond).
2. Also I would like to know some common speech acts (or ways of using words, such as greeting or complaining.)
3. Do you all believe that there are certain values, beliefs, and interests that are common among skiers?
4. What are some reasons why you ski?

Also I would appreciate it if anybody would be willing to let me interview them for a bit through AIM, MSN messenger or I could set up a chat room.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like you should do some basic research before going much further. If you interview people to ask about the meaning of simple terms (I quote) "like heliskiing or double black diamond" you may get abrupt answers. Are you excluding snowboarders? Is your target community recreational skiers and snowboarders? Or, are you looking for (semi-)professional snowsports athletes?

My experience of skiers and snowboarders is that they come from a vast range of backgrounds and their use of language is governed more by their background than by snowsports. Their use of snow-related vocabulary is technical, just as is needed for any other area of interest. Parts of the community and their language may have parallels with other sports such as skateboarding and BMX cycling, but that is due to people doing both sorts of activity.

Please get some basic books on skiing and snowboarding techhnique, read them particularly their glossaries and then think again about your project.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
knarf135, welcome to snowHeads snowHead .

With regard to questions 1 & 2, I would suggest you should indicate whether you are studying US skiers or UK skiers (e.g. US 'trail' vs UK 'piste' (which comes from the Frnech)). This message board is predominantly, but not exclusively, made up of UK skiers, by the way.

3: No, other than skiing.

4: Fresh air, exercise, adrenalin, the views, getting away from it all, ....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Why not run a content analysis of threads rather than speech? You'll have more material and there will be less scope for researcher intervention.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy