Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Reintroducing Someone To Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Next Year we have booked up a big family holiday with a total of 7 people. My Mum (48 ) is coming and has decided that she would like to try skiing again. Although she has been skiing three times (Saalbach * 2, and St Johann) these were all over 30 years ago.

I was wondering what the best thing for her to do is? To be honest, her fitness is not all that great. While she eats healthily and leads a fairly healthy lifestyle (no drinking or smoking etc) she doesnt really do much exercise. I have suggested to her that as the time comes nearer she might want to start some simple fitness regimes and she's happy with the idea.

However, because she hasn't skied for so long i was wondering what the normal approach is? For us i consider a few options:

1. Get lessons at resort
2. Have a go at the local dry slope and see how much is remembered and then possibly get a couple of private lessons there.
3. Have a trip to Castleford and have a go at the snowdome and possibly have lessons there. However, this is much further away than the dry slope and also much more expensive.

I was wondering if anyone here has had similar experiences and would post some advice? I'm slightly worried about her confidence because I am fairly certain that at that age, when one hasn't done much sport for a long time one worries about falling and injuring.

Basically i want to her enjoy the skiing as much as possible when out there - how much do you think she will remember? I presume the technique has changed since then as well?

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Markus, She will find it much easier than she remembers because the skis are now so short and the boots so (relatively) comfy. I think you should wait, but go to the ski school (or check out all of them) when you arrive and book her some private lessons. that way she won't feel like she may be holding people back in a class, and her confidence will improve more quickly. Be sure to explain the circumstances to the ski school when booking the lessons, ask for someone who speaks good english and who is patient, and preferably had experience in the "bad old days". It's hard for someone who learnt on carvers to understand what it was like to ski 30 years ago, just as it's hard for a fit young instructor to understand why a person of 48 might be frightened of falling over.

I find that a number of my older clients are anticipating a problem, and find there is none! Also I recommend that she gets skis no more than point of shoulder height. The shop might try to give you longer ones, but stick to your guns. If it's in Italy the instructor might want her to have longer skis, that's a different matter (they seem to like rather longer skis in Italy).

She'll love it, she won't fall much, she'll find it's 20 times easier than 30 years ago (really). Have fun. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski, thanks for the lengthy post. Smile

We are off to Austria, and since my mum lived in Germany for twenty years and speaks fluent German we will probably go with an Austrian ski school as i presume there will be more choice, unless you advise against this Neh Neh

Would you really not recommend going to the dry slope? I would have thought that this could only be a good thing?

Thanks Very Happy

EDIT: since its half term, do private lessons need to be booked?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Markus, OK then no probs with the lingo. I wouldn't recommend dry slope cos it hurts if you fall down, and I wouldn't risk it if I were you. Usually I do endorse dry slopes, but not in this particular case. Yes, you would need to book in advance if it's half term. it should be easy enough to either phone them or find their email address from the local website. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski, thanks Smile What about the Castleford snow slope (guess i'm just looking for an excuse to go skiing before next February Razz Toofy Grin )?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Markus, If your mum has never skied on plastic I will agree with easiski, but if she has used plastic before it may be good to have a coulple of private lessons before you go.
The snow slope sounds good !!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
I really enjoy teaching people on plastic who have not skied for several years or longer, they are suprised by how much they can recall.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Would you advise against going to the snow slope (castleford) and just skiing without instruction to see how much can be remembered?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Markus, When you say she 'skied 3 times' do you mean 3 trips of several days with lessons or on 3 occasions? I am almost the same age and 'went skiing three times' - when living in Austria 30 years ago with 3 lots of very kind people who took me and tried to teach me a bit of the basics on one of their regular days out. I remember very little of it and as she was 18 it may well be a bit blurry too. I remember huge skis and difficulty stopping!
Started on the dry slope near us (plastic snow not Dendix) after my son started going prior to a school trip and learnt some technique - starting from scratch. First lesson great, second OK then had a few problems but carried on and found transferring it to snow on my one day so far great fun. Tamworth snowdome was a useful trip and reminded me that snow is different! I certainly have a fear of getting injured not so much a fear of falling - and when I've been to the coffee mornings at the dry slope - which is mostly women - we have discussions that centre around how much hassle it would be to be injured as most have the job of family taxi driver and home organisor as well as possibly being in work outside - tho you are obviously older so maybe she is free of that job! Fewer men seem to have this inbuilt warning light which of course is not at all helpful if you become tense and anxious - I am well aware of that. Was actually pleasantly surprised when I did find myself sitting down the other week how easy it all was - but I was going pretty slow at the time Madeye-Smiley. Plastic snow is quite kind to sit on - Dendix is much more unpleasant as it is much rougher and thumbs are at risk - they give specific advice on this- but I now prefer it as a surface to ski on.
Hope this may help - from where you are 48 seems a long way away but most of my friends are a bit shocked to discover we are this age as our heads don't seem much different to 30 years ago! Shocked
But the thing that I think would help her most is getting fitter/improving her stamina - getting tired legs in Spain really boosted my motivation to work on my fitness!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Late starter, it was 3 one week long school ski trips. Apparently she was quite good, but wouldn't we all say that? Razz

If I'm honest, i have quite high hopes that she will pick it up fairly quickly and have a great time, but obviously if a few lessons over here will do lots of good then they wont be refused. Mind you, we can't have her getting too good and whizzing past me on the slopes; the sheer embarrassment of it all! Shocked Toofy Grin rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would definitely go along with the advice to do some exercise and gain some fitness before going. Concentrating on leg strength, but also some general cardiovascular fitness, if she doesn't do much at the moment. There are plenty of exercise classes around. I'm the same age as your Mum and exercise all the time at quite a high level - cycling, aerobics, weights - so she doesn't necessarily need to go for beginner classes or classes aimed at older people. It should include some weight-bearing exercise, not just swimming or aquarobics. You could even introduce her to the fitness workouts offered by stocky on this forum Wink

I learned to ski at the Tamworth Snowdome, but still found transferring it to the mountains tough. However doing a bit of dry slope or indoor snow slope work before going might get her muscles used to the movements, if nothing else. It is getting those movements hard-wired that is important and will give her a bit of a head start. If they are all foreign and she isn't used to using those muscles, then she will get very tired, and be more prone to injury.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Markus, I think if she has any visits to dry slopes/indoor slopes it should be as a private lesson first - a 30 year gap then ' see how it goes' doesn't sound like something that would optimally boost her confidence! The instructor will doubtless then revise basics with her and then move her on at her own pace - whereas new style skis and DIY would fill me with fear and trepidation - but maybe she thrives on that approach Twisted Evil so I hesitate to be too dogmatic Little Angel
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Markus, Castleford may be an option (especially if you want to go too), but a course of lessons would be better than just one trip. If she goes just once, and it's hairy, it'll put her off altogether.

I must say, however, being 54 myself, I don't consider 48 "older" in any sense! "older" doesn't start till at least 60, and when I'm 60 it'll start at 70! BTW I've never felt old enough to have any kids myself!! Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski, just looked at private lessons in Castleford and its £150 for one hour Shocked Shocked Shocked

If the prices are that extortionate then we will probably just wait till we get to the resort!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markus, Give them a ring. I am sure its not that bad. She can go in a group lesson for much less
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Frosty the Snowman, i am not sure a group lesson would be that ideal. The whole point in a lesson(s) would just be to hopefully give her the feeling of skiing back - then she could join an intermediates group lesson in the resort without having to worry about spending one day remembering everything. Apparently she could do parallel turns and was quite good so im not sure there is much point in her starting beginners lessons from scratch again, however she would not be good enough to go straight into an intermediates class.
ski holidays
Markus, I think your mother could be in for a suprise. I went back to skiing at the age of 55 after a 28 year gap and found the new short carving skis so much easier to use. If she could manage parallel turns before i would let here spend the first day pottering around on a nice easy blue and then have a one to one carving lesson on the second day. Getting fit would also be a big help.
snow conditions
Markus, I really wouldn't recommend group lessons - much better in private lessons. Now they can be anything from €30 per hour upwards, but won't be anything like that quoted price - can't be right. Shocked Shocked Shocked As she doesn't have an issue with the language I think you're probably better off to wait in that case. Many people go back to skiing later in life and it is much, much easier on the modern skis, but you do have to relearn one or two things to make it work properly. I will stick by my original suggestion of PLs in resort in view of the latest news. Very Happy
snow report
easiski, I was looking at the Xscape website in work the other day (shh!) and £150 for a hours one to one tuition was what it said. I couldn't believe it either; I had to look twice and then again for a third time.
latest report
Swirly, I should clearly raise my prices!! €50 per hour is too cheap!!! Shocked

Listen guys - no instructor in the world is worth that much! Shock
ski holidays
Markus, I would go for the Xscape group lessons. Much more reasonable. And it's not like ESF! There probably will be only 6 or so people rather than 16 Shocked . Not everyone prefers private lessons to begin with anyway. I knew a woman (in her late thirties) who started with private lessons. She found it very intense and, after the first one, ended up not wanting to ski again as she felt she couldn't do it and she was therefore the world's worst skier. When she was persuaded to join a group, she realised that she was only as bad, and maybe even a little bit better, than the other brand new skiers. She then had more fun and gained more confidence. Everyone is different rolling eyes .

And she's 48! She's not senile! Shocked Have you asked her what her preferences are?
snow report
Markus, I think it probably isn't an option but Tamworth seems to be about half that of XScape - we looked at M Keynes prices which are equally ludicrous- in the summer - and Tamworth also 30% off as it was low season so got private for £40 or so. I think they just really don't want to do private lessons so make it ridiculously expensive - as Easiski says. I think they reckon then if people still want to pay they can free up instructors - it was the same for our kids music lessons - group lessons were so much cheaper even in a group of 2-3 just becuase they didn't have enough teachers/rooms so wanted to put people right off the whole idea! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
maggi wrote:

And she's 48! She's not senile! Shocked Have you asked her what her preferences are?

Laughing Laughing rolling eyes

She asked me what the best options were and I thought i couldn't go wrong asking you lot Toofy Grin

Easiski, i wonder how much of that £150 the instructors at X-Scape actually get rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
Markus, I think it probably isn't an option but Tamworth seems to be about half that of XScape - we looked at M Keynes prices which are equally ludicrous- in the summer - and also 30% off as it was low season so got private for £40 or so. I think they just really don't want to do private lessons so make it ridiculously expensive - as Easiski says. I think they reckon then if people still want to pay they can free up instructors - it was the same for our kids music lessons - group lessons were so much cheaper even in a group of 2-3 just becuase they didn't have enough teachers/rooms so wanted to put people right off the whole idea! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Late starter,Ask your nearest dryslope what material they use on their nusery slope. If it's Dendix - I'd agree with easiski, - too higher risk (in this case) of a painful fall. If it's one of the carpets (Perma-Snow, Snoflex).... then it's (almost) as painless as snow to fall on (I have personal knowledge snowHead ) ... therefore worth a go. I don't think (regardless of the cost) that the indoor snow slopes are a great place for this kind of lesson. Too cold, too noisy and too busy !
snow report
I restarted skiing last season after a 25 year gap - 1 week on a school trip when I was 15. I went for the FastTrack 1+2 session at Castleford along with my older sister. It took me about 15 minutes to get used to being on skis again.

Markus, I would suggest that your mum do the FT1+2 @ Castleford, just to get her ski legs back and boost her confidence.
snow report
Quote:

Would you advise against going to the snow slope (castleford) and just skiing without instruction to see how much can be remembered?

Yes. I am way older than your Mum (even older than easiski!) and we had a fun week last year re-introducing some skiers in their late 'fifties. It sounded, from what they said, that they had been quite competent, but cautious, and they had not skied for about 20 years. We gave them very short skis (shoulder height max, like easiski says) and took them on a few easy greens, in the sunshine, then had a vin chaud, during which they said they felt ready for more, and by late afternoon we did a red. I had politely suggested they had a private lesson, and after initial worries (not because they felt "too good", but because they wondered whether they were "good enough" to profit from it) they agreed. They had a super lesson (2 hours) next morning, were reminded of the basics, and then spent the week enjoyable skiing easy-ish stuff at non scary speeds. It is worth noting that the male of the species, at 6'6" but only 9.7 stone - was polite, but clearly extremely sceptical about the very short skis we had insisted he had! We had a much longer pair of easy Atomic piste skis, at 170cms, which he decided to borrow on the second day, only to cross them, fall over them, and generally get in a mess. Much to the delight of his wife, getting on very well on her 140s! Especially as your Mum speaks fluent German she will really enjoy being in the mountains with a local instructor. I fully understand your wish to get her going quicker, but endorse much of what is said above. Concentrate on fitness, and leave the skiing till she's on snow, and remembering why she used to enjoy skiing. 48, as you know, is prime of life..... with a good start back she will have at least 20 years of ski holidays ahead of her. Please let us know how she gets on, by the way.
snow conditions
Markus, Southampton Dry ski slope do a Ladies Morning and a Over 50's Morning.

http://www.southampton-alpine-centre.co.uk/ladies.htm

http://www.southampton-alpine-centre.co.uk/over50s.htm

Some 50ish friends went along for a refresher last winter because they hadn't skiied for many years. I sneaked in with them, and I'm only 45! (Perhaps I look 50).

Great social atmosphere and coffee for £7.

My friends found it a great confidence booster for the lessons on the first morning of the holiday. They enjoyed the holiday so much they've persuaded some other friends that have never skied to come along this year!

Perhaps your local dry slope has something similar?
Puzzled
ski holidays
Thanks all.

From the comments above she will be waiting until we go to the snow, and she still hasn't decided whether to go for private or group lessons. I have advised private (coming from you guys Smile ), but its up to her.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hey everyone, just thought id update this thread Very Happy

We took all of your advice on board, and it helped to make a fantastic skiing holiday! Toofy Grin

My mother decided she'd like to buy a one day lift pass, see what its like and then go from there. Fair enough i thought. Anyway, she also decided to ski the first morning and then to take a private lesson in teh afternoon, so she had some time to have a go herself. I could tell she was worried - she felt like she was an absolute beginner and that she wouldnt remember anything. So i showed her how to put the skiis on and then we poled over to teh nursery slope.

10 minutes later we had successfully (without falling Smile) gone down the nursery slope, very slowly and carefully, and along the way i reintroduced on the finer parts of a snowplough turn technique. When we got down she had a smile on her face that she didnt lose all week. Throughout the morning she got more confident and then it was time for her private lesson. At this point i left her and went to ski some black runs to get me excited again. 2 hours later i went over to the nursery slopes to find her parallel turning down this slope. I was amazed.

Anyway, by the end of the week she was skiing reds confidently and the biggest problem was keeping her on the piste (she didnt seem to understand the concept of skiing in between the piste markers, and then quite often wondered why this "piste" here wasnt groomed and the snow wasnt as good Neh Neh)!

Thanks for all your advice, we had a great week and she wants to go with her friends next year Very Happy
snow conditions
Markus, Great stuff, and thanks for the update Very Happy
ski holidays
It's great when a plan comes together. It's even better when you put a smile on a face too snowHead
ski holidays
Markus, one of those stories that gives you a warm feeling inside - thanks for sharing it snowHead
latest report
v.short video here taken on the third day...

http://youtube.com/v/21E7yYpm7fE
snow report
Markus, well done, she's lucky to have had such a thoughtful re-introduction. 48 might seem old to you, but to some of us it's positively spring lamb....
snow report
Excellent Smile
snow report
Markus,

I started skiing at just on 40 and surfing at over 40 ....
I've never been sporty ... due to my disability it just did not happen... having said that when i started skiing I did have some fitness...

If you really want her to enjoy skiing next year I'd work on the following program

1) Try to get her to do some basic exercise - it is good for her general health - and as the ad says you only need to do it regularly not rigorously - so a walk of about 30mins at least 3 days a week and aiming for more will help - as will some simple things like wall push ups and squats and leg raises(see the GI diet book by Jenny Brand Miller et al nice ideas they have for that stuff)

2) Send her to L2A in summer

3) Book her some lessons with Easiski during 2)

by the family trip she will not be the person lagging behind or less able ... or at least less so...

the advantage of 2) is that she can swim massage dine etc as she feels she needs to make it a nice holiday for her not just a trial of sporting proportions
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy