Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ryanair is at it again

Poster: A snowHead
RYANAIR has announced that as of 1 November they have reduced baggage allowances

Checking bags cost £7 return for each bag if done on line
Double this if done at gate and not on line
Checked bag allowed weight reduced from 20kg to 15KG
Carry on allowance is 10Kg
Excess Baggage Charged at £5.50 per kilo each way
£31 for checking skis return

You cannot pool weight if you are traveling as a group. Don’t share one big case you will get done for overweight luggage! They are really strict, with all luggage being weighed and excess charges handed out. (I saw a couple get charged £50 as they had a single 30Kg bag between them coming home from Spain)

EASYJET are a bit better

One hold bag per person, free of charge.
Additional bags £10 return for each additional bag , when pre-paid online
Checked bag allowance 20kg, are subject to excess baggage charges
£30 for checking skis return

Drive or take the train is my advice....comments...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i rarely even bother to look at Ryanair or Easyjet for skiing flights now. BA and Swiss are almost always preferable for me
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
scottp, and of course, Easyjet might just cancel your flight and not bother to tell you! Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
scottp, so, correct me if I've misunderstood, but Ryanair don't have any free baggage allowance? And you have to pay £7 return for each bag which is a combined weight of 15Kg or less for each person. i.e. one person has an allowance of 15Kg which can be made up of separate bags? Shocked

Our double ski bag weighed 19.9Kg last time we flew!! - BA to Vancouver though not Ryanair to Europe.

And I've been put right off Easyjet because of their TV programme.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Of the two I would rether use sleasyjet
Most people have seen the TV prog and know what to expext
Ryanair seem to hide behind their small print more
I would rather not use ether but what they have done is force the mainstream airlines to charge relistic prices on some routes to compete
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
geetee, only "free" is your 10kg carry on bag which i guess could be boots

checked baggage is 15 kg total, so you get 25 kg total

Im not sure if you pay for extra bags that you get any more than 15kg total in the hold, can anyone shed light on that?

Arno, i agree and swiss is doing cheap filghts out of london city to GVA.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
scottp wrote:

Im not sure if you pay for extra bags that you get any more than 15kg total in the hold, can anyone shed light on that?

You don't - if you have two hold bags you pay a fee for each bag. If they are over 15kg together you pay excess baggage at £5.50 per kg (each way). Skis are £15.50 per bag (each way) - there is no mention on Ryanairs website that says your allowance increases by paying this fee. Easyjet boosts your hold allowance to 32kg with the payment of the ski fee.

I tend to travel BA when I go skiing - when you add up all the extra charges added by Ryanair there is not much difference, except in quality of service.

When I flew from Pisa last week back to UK our BA flight was delayed by fog at Pisa. The BA pilot diverted to Genoa and when the fog had cleared came to Pisa. Ryanair had three flights arriving into Pisa and then going back to the UK - they cancelled the lot even though the fog had cleared by lunchtime, well before the Prestwick flight was due in, for example.

snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sage, thanks for clarifiying that, I am amazed that you get hit with 5.50 charge in addition to the extra baggage cost.

Do you recon that the total 15kg includes your 15.50 ski payment as well, surely not......but then again i wouldnt be surprised.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
scottp, I wouldn't be surprised if it does with Ryanair, however, if not then it's time to get a bigge ski bag: one of the extra advantages to boarding of course. My girlfriens skis fit in my board bag too which helps make things a bit cheaper.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
scottp, thanks for that, excellent summary Very Happy . So far my trips this year are booked on BA, Swiss and...driving! I've got a couple more to book though, one of which will almost certainly not be a slyanair/sleazyjet route, but one of which will. Confused
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
scottp wrote:

Do you recon that the total 15kg includes your 15.50 ski payment as well, surely not......but then again i wouldnt be surprised.

I've searched their site, there is nothing to say that paying the fee increases your baggage allowance - prob just another way to screw you for more money!

snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sage, Yikes, i would be interested to hear if anyone gets the Ryanair screw job as i have freinds booked on them for half term.... keep the thread alive all...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The weight of skis is NOT included in your 15kg.
And their baggage allowance has been 15kg since at least before I booked nearly 4 months ago.
You cannot take a boot-bag as hand luggage (doesn't fit the allowed dimensions which are the same for Easyjet and Ryanair (55 x 40 x 20cm). However you can get boots into a backpack OK, one inverted above the other.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Be careful though. Lufthansa refused to carry our boots as hand luggage a couple of years ago, which meant we had to go away, buy a bag to put them in and come back to checkin. They then lost the boots for a day just to rub it in. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone going from Stansted, be aware it is a nightmare going through the departure gates. That was before half term, when it got even worse. I thought I would miss my flight to Porto, but so many people were still going through they had to delay the plane.

I never liked Stansted anyway. Easyjet has better options from the normal airports - Gatwick, Luton etc.

However for skiing I too would always look to BA or Swiss.
ski holidays
Can anyone confirm what baggage allowances are for BA and Swiss it would be interesting to see how much better they actually are.

Eurostar doesnt have any weight limits.....
snow report
snowball wrote:
The weight of skis is NOT included in your 15kg.
And their baggage allowance has been 15kg since at least before I booked nearly 4 months ago.

Ryanair's allowance is 20kg changing to 15kg from the 1st of November. I assume you booked for a date after 1st November. Are you sure about the skis not included in the 15kg - the reason I ask is that I cannot find anything on their website saying this.

snowHead
ski holidays
scottp wrote:
Can anyone confirm what baggage allowances are for BA and Swiss it would be interesting to see how much better they actually are.

Eurostar doesnt have any weight limits.....

Sorry should have added this to my last post

BA - Generally 23kg - no fee for skis and can pool bag weight with those you are travelling with. No bag to be over 32kg. There are other allowances depending on class and where you are travelling - see here www.britishairways.com/travel/bagchk/public/en_gb

Swiss - Generally 20kg but varies depending where travelling to and class of travel - see here http://yourcountry.swiss.com/local/trip-planner/id-tp-ba-allowance-uk#anchor-8

snowHead
snow report
Sage, The link to Ryanair charges is here http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=CHARGES
snow conditions
Sage, Interested to here that there is no fee for skis on BA does that go for codeshare Swiss flights out of city as well do you know?

Sounds to me from BA's site that skis AND boots are not counted in your 23kg limit

"In addition to your normal baggage allowance you may take:

one pair of skis and one pair of ski poles, or a snowboard, or a monoski AND one pair of bindings and one pair of boots

A maximum weight of 23kg (51lbs) applies to each bag."
ski holidays
scottp, i dont think it makes much difference if the codeshare rules are the same as Swiss let you take skis not as part of luggage allowance as well!

Either airline can be very skiier friendly (cheap Smile ) if you book early enough
snow report
scottp, it was the case when I last flew Swiss out of City. But that was about three years ago.
snow conditions
scottp wrote:
Sage, Interested to here that there is no fee for skis on BA does that go for codeshare Swiss flights out of city as well do you know?

Sounds to me from BA's site that skis AND boots are not counted in your 23kg limit

That's new, it wasn't like that before - another benefit of flying BA.

Ray Zorro I saw that page but it does not mention that your weight allowance increases by paying the fee, unlike Easyjet that increases the allowance to 32kg. Does anybody know the answer??

snowHead
ski holidays
Roger C, yep
snow report
OK we all know what Ryanair are about, they regard passengers as a nuisance and their luggage gets in the way of highly profitable cargo and yes their policy can be a bit of minefield, but we can all read and add up so its just a simple trade off for me of price against the convenience of BA.

The ski carriage issue is simple, put two pairs in one bag and anything else you can fit, still cheaper than ski hire. What would happen if they got damaged? would they pay out for both, absolutely no idea but I wouldn't bet on it so get decent travel insurance.

Not much point having a traditional boot bag, get a bag to the maximum hand luggage size and fill it with boots and clothing and weigh your bags before you go its surprisingly easy to get to 10/15kg especially with heavy wheeled luggage.

I class myself as a reluctant Ryanair customer bu strangely there is actually one thing I like about them (apart from price) - the seats DON'T recline and there's no stupid pockets on the seat back (OK thats 2 things) all 6 foot + people will know exctly what a joy that is.
ski holidays
My sister, BIL & baby are flying Ryanair to Spain this week. OK the nipper's ticket is cheap but the fees for bags with all the gear they're taking bumps the price right up from the headline figure you see on the website. They chose Ryanair though because both the departure and arrival airports work best for them, other routes mean hassle either this end or the other.
latest report
in Summary (i think this is right)

RYANAIR
£31 for checking skis return, weight of skis is in addition to your 15kg

EASYJET
£30 for checking skis return, weight of skis is in addition to your 20kg

SWISS economy
Carry on 8kg
Free one pair of skis
20kg checked baggage allowance which can be pooled between group

BA economy
Carry on 8kg
Free one pair of skis
23kg checked baggage allowance which can be pooled between group

Eurostar - No weight limits

Tips
You can try it on and put two pairs of skis in one bag
On Ryanair take boots as carry on if they fit the size restriction 55 x 40 x 20cm
Make sure no one bag exceeds checked bag limits of 15 or 20kg

EASYJET & RYANAIR You cannot pool weight if you are traveling as a group.
Don’t share one big case, you will get done for overweight luggage!
snow report
scottp, A nice summary snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sage, Thanks,, I feel like you have to be a nuclear scientist when trying to work out costs to go skiing these days.

i am driving out in december and i recon it will be about £400, so cant complain too much i guess......
latest report
Swiss

You can take One Pair of skis
and One pair of Boots

In addition to your regular Hold luggage 20Kg.
ski holidays
stanton, good spot...

snowHead Airline baggage Summary

RYANAIR
£31 for checking skis return, weight of skis is in addition to your 15kg

EASYJET
£30 for checking skis return, weight of skis is in addition to your 20kg

SWISS economy
Carry on 8kg
Free one pair of skis and one pir of boots in addition to your 20kg checked allowance
20kg checked baggage allowance which can be pooled between group

BA economy
Carry on 8kg
Free one pair of skis and one pir of boots in addition to your 23kg checked allowance
23kg checked baggage allowance which can be pooled between group

Eurostar - No weight limits

Tips
You can try it on and put two pairs of skis in one bag
On Ryanair take boots as carry on if they fit the size restriction 55 x 40 x 20cm
Make sure no one bag exceeds checked bag limits of 15 or 20kg

EASYJET & RYANAIR You cannot pool weight if you are traveling as a group.
Don’t share one big case, you will get done for overweight luggage!
snow report
scottp's list would be a useful thing to have on the snowHeads wiki.

I've forgotten how I did the page on the Val d'Allos so maybe someone else could create an entry for this flight info.
ski holidays
I like flybe, and they fly from us (norwich) to chambery. They state that as a holiday airline (summer to hot places, winter to ski places) the skis & boots are an integral part. Also, you don't get savaged by the staff on the way through as per ryanair Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

Also, you don't get savaged by the staff on the way through as per ryanair

Mugged more like Toofy Grin
latest report
Frosty, Laughing
ski holidays
Guys

Please be careful with Carry on boots. I was refused entrance through security at Liverpool two years ago this March. We were told that security doesnt allow ski boots through and that easyjet should have told us this. We would have been late for the flight if it hadnt been for the excellent security guys taking us back to check in and back through the queues again (big thankyou).
ski holidays
roger1000, Ive heard this too, one way around it is to wear your boots Shocked Hope they've been fitted well. wink
ski holidays
Just as an aside I heard the Ski Sunday theme on the Kiss radio station at my gym last night snowHead . (For those that don't know, Kiss is aimed at the 'young clubbers', playing mainly dance music/R&B etc) And it was an advert for BA, highlighting that you can go skiing on a BA flight and your skis/snowboards travel free. And a few examples of prices, to places such as Denver, Calgary. I don't know how widely they've advertised on other radio stations but I thought it was quite clever targetting on their part - going for the young independent traveller who probably wouldn't think of checking out BA's prices.
snow conditions
cathy, the same ad is playing on Ocean FM - a "greatest hits" (i.e 80's and 90's) station in Hampshire - so they're not just targetting the young and trendy.
ski holidays
scottp, I dont think your list picked up the Hand Luggege rule for Easyjet which is i believe is only limited by size, any weight as long as you can lift it into the storage locker.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy