Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What are your criteria?

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking about the various Bansko threads where the key bits of the proposition seem to be :

It's cheap
The lift system is modern
Pistes are good for beginners

What would you choose as 3 main crtieria when choosing a place to ski?

I think mine are:

Does it snow frequently & heavily?
Is the terrain interesting? (this is not the same as are there 100s of km of piste?)
Is it (relatively) accessible in the time I have available?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snow,snow,snow.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Plenty of red/black slopes.

Good snow record (almost everywhere will meet this at some point in the season so it was only an issue when booking for mid-December).

Lack of other skiers - not just short lift queues or fast lifts but few people on the slopes.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Interesting terrain
Small queue's
Snow Quality
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Amount of pistes of the required level
Amount of snow
Accesability of the slopes

Price also has a habit of rearing its head.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
good sking
easy to get to
good boozing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It partly depends on who I am skiing with Friends/wife/whole family.

I have found it pretty difficult to get information on snow fall other than by hearsay, though I do take this into account particularly when booking in advance in first half of season. 2nd half of season I become more interested in north facing slopes and reasonable altitude.

Appropriate terrain for those I am skiing with is important.

Full family holidays cost becomes a fairly big issue multiply everything by four and differences soon add up.

Quiet resorts at high season, I prefer a few queues to busy slopes though try and avoid either.

To be honest if it is decently snowy and not to crowded I will usually be pretty happy.

PS quite like somewhere that is at least moderately attractive, less keen on purpose built, not bothered about doorstep skiing.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 27-10-06 14:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snow
cheap beer
enough variety of runs so the beginners in the group don't struggle and the rest of us don't get bored
cheap beer
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good snow, good terrain, good apres ski.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Depends on who I'm going with, but the biggies for me are:
Varied terrain (a little bit of everything including steep pistes, bumps, fast reds, range of gentle terrain).
Range of altitude (must go high and low; open bowl skiing at altitude as well as lots of piste and off-piste skiing through the trees).
Decent lift system (especially no/few drags, plenty of fast chairlifts and some nice gondolas or cablecars. Padded seats and covered chairlifts score additional points).
Ski in/out (don't mind walking to the resort centre for shopping and apres, but long distance hikes in boots with skis on my shoulder is a definite turn off).

If all those factors are in place bonus points for:
Short drive to other resorts for a bit of variety.
Good ski school/instructors.
Knowing the resort well enough to find the 'hidden gems', meeting up with local friends and neighbours.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snow quality
Decent and varied runs
Good night life
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Interesting one this and it should maybe go in a seperate topic but most people have so far put down snow. How do you determine this?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar wrote:
Depends on who I'm going with, but the biggies for me are:
Varied terrain (a little bit of everything including steep pistes, bumps, fast reds, range of gentle terrain).
Range of altitude (must go high and low; open bowl skiing at altitude as well as lots of piste and off-piste skiing through the trees).
Decent lift system (especially no/few drags, plenty of fast chairlifts and some nice gondolas or cablecars. Padded seats and covered chairlifts score additional points).
Ski in/out (don't mind walking to the resort centre for shopping and apres, but long distance hikes in boots with skis on my shoulder is a definite turn off).

If all those factors are in place bonus points for:
Short drive to other resorts for a bit of variety.
Good ski school/instructors.
Knowing the resort well enough to find the 'hidden gems', meeting up with local friends and neighbours.

after those criteria rob -do you then ask the question - "do I have a place there?" NehNeh
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good terrain
Small resort - generally less queues, and less idiots
Good accomodation and company

No point getting too stressed over the snow conditions, as you can't do a lot about it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, A short and concise list of 3 rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman,
I missed the bit about three as well Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
It's changed over the years. This year it's:

Nice place
Can get away from the crowds if necessary
Do-able by train

As I'm booking for a group, I won't be able to fulfill all of those.
snow report
Good snow
Good terrain (reds and blacks for me)
No huge queues (tricky in school hols)
snow report
T Bar wrote:
Interesting one this and it should maybe go in a seperate topic but most people have so far put down snow. How do you determine this?

I think snow quality is a different thing to snow fall. Snowfall is something you can try to maximise your chances on- by historic charts, duration of stay, location, late booking e.g. taking a fortnight in Feb to Western Canada you'd be unlucky not to get at least one powder day, taking a weekend to Europe booked any time significantly in advance would be entirely pot luck as to whether you had any fresh snow.

Of course snow quality can stay good for weeks after a snowfall if temps stay constant & low, grooming is good, runs aren't overskied etc. This however is rare.
ski holidays
Isn't the answer La Rosiere? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Mark Hunter, if you look at the metcheck website (as linked on the PSB weather threads) and compare Deux Alpes next week with La Ros, the answer is yes!
snow report
Snowsure
Under 2 hrs transfer
No riff-raff
snow conditions
I think the two main criteria must be varied slopes (believe it or not, I enjoy skiing ALL types of slopes, including blues and greens, but there should be some interest, some bumps, some steep, some nice fast wide pistes), and snow. I also like ski-in- ski-out because I don't like walking in ski boots and lugging skis around, and find it hard with my limited breathing. Good cake also helps Wink
ski holidays
1) More than reasonable hope that I'm going to be able to board everyday around the whole area, not just some runs.

2) Access to the whole area by chairlift (and not t-bar or poma)

3) Single rooms and Family rooms at a price where the supplements don't double the price of the holiday.
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:
after those criteria rob -do you then ask the question - "do I have a place there?" NehNeh

Funny you should mention it...

Yes, mostly Les Arcs pushes all my buttons. That's not to say that other places don't. Courchevel is probably a better match, but prices are very silly there.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
rob@rar, A short and concise list of 3 rolling eyes Laughing

Embarassed Got a bit carried away there. Choice of resort is one of life's great decisions, so I hope you can forgive my enthusiasm Smile
snow report
Snow.

Reasonable variety of runs.

Bit of off-piste that isn't too scary.

Good instruction.

Good choice of mountain and base restaurants.

Absence of concrete jungle developments.

Beer, wine.
snow conditions
As with others, depends who I'm skiing with

Family: Snow, cheap(ish), Traditional i.e. not England on snow.

Group: Snow, good self catered accommodation, varied terrain (+ another 20 'must haves'!)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Range of interesting runs for all occasions
Efficient and fast lift system
Tartiflette
snow report
T Bar wrote:

It's not such a big issue for me. I've never had too little snow to ski on (started in 1979, skied every year bar one since then) and for me part of the enjoyable challenge of skiing is to be able to adapt my technique to snow conditions and terrain. I like skiing hard pack and ice, I like skiing fresh untracked powder and just about everything in between, with the exception of rain-soaked crud. Just so long as there is some kind of snow to ski on, and there always has been for me in more than 25 years, I really don't mind what the conditions are like.
snow conditions
Forgot to add this before:

I think it's ultimately the people you go out with that makes a holiday! Skiing / boarding with a good set of friends is always an ace experience...
snow report
Kramer wrote:
Good snow, good terrain, good apres ski.

Wot he said Very Happy
snow conditions
Mouth wrote:
Tartiflette

and that! Very Happy
snow conditions
Big lift and a good gradient to the valley floor.. and a road back would be good...
latest report
Good variety of pistes
Not too busy
Decent alpine charm
ski holidays
If booked in advance:

*Decent historical snow record (Using Ski Club data to check).
*Accommodation - good quality, close to slopes and apres (I'm another who doesn't like walking in ski boots!).
*Good amount/variety of skiing. I want to ski some tough stuff, but equally I might want an afternoon of cruisng.

If last minute (that is usually for me now):

*Good snow.
*Good amount/variety of skiing. (See above).
*Price - if it's last minute I can find both of the above at a good price.

And 9 times out of 10 I want it to be to a resort that I haven't visited before (some variety etc.)
ski holidays
1) Good snow on challenging terrain with some trees
2) Good childcare and ski school for sprogs (for family holiday) or good apres ski (for non family)
3) Nice town with good restaurants
snow report
Efficient lift system (no queues)
Ski in/ski out
Good food
latest report
The trouble is when find a resort / hotel etc that meets your needs there is always the feer that if you go some where else it will not be up to scratch. Most times so far the places Ive ended up in have ticked most of the boxes
The criteria i chose has changed over the years along with my and Mrs Gs skills on skis and the size of the overdraft
snow report
1) 1800m resort
2) 100km +
3) Can get to easily from Belfast
4) Good value
5) Variety of terrain. ie Glacier/ Tree lined/ Cruisey Reds/ Blues
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy