Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can i have some comments and advice on this please, thanks

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, im a Graphic Design student in the UK and im doing a project where i have to target 40 - 50 year old in taking up snowboarding, it will be an advetrtsing campaign, please can you give me some ideas please and also why do you think there are not many 40 -50 year old boards? Please get back to me. Thanks alot! happy boarding!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
caus your bones get brittle when your older and it easier to fall when learning to board

design a bubble suit that you wear so if you fall you bounce back up

lol
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A posterior airbag may be the way to go
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For an marketing campaign like this to work you need to detact the current, and expensively built up branding of snowboarders from the assumed preconception of your target group.

Snowboarders are branded as young, white, slim, hip, into modern music, cool baggy streets clothes, light drugs and snowparks.

Most 40 -50 yrs old are many of these.

So an ad campaign needs to say to 40 -50 that they aren't going to look ridicilous trying snowboarding and that snowboards are last least equal to skiing.

Since, in my experience, most older skiiers have already made up their minds you need a campaign that targets new customers. One such group I can think of targeting would be hikers. Sell them the dream of hiking off with their light snowboard and comfortable boots to the wilderness. Images of unspolit nature and gently cruising down a quite mountain. An ensure that the clothes they are wearing are functional not about fashion.

thats my idea.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have been skiing over 30 years and tried boarding with my children for couple of afternoons. It looks great and I wanted to join them. It was the rotation of the low back that did me in. Many older folk get chronic low grade back problems that are made worse by rotation of the spine and beginning boarding sets it off in a bad way, as did wind surfing -- this time the forward flexion when pulling the sail up. No doubt once one has mastered the basics then boarding will be kinder to the back but it was one hurdle too many.
however to get 40-60 year old on board target windsurfers who have a similar psyche to sailers as boarders have to skiers. Highlight the freedom to do things skiers cant ( whatever that is ), sensible gear and stress comfortable boots.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The above angles are great, i know theyd work on my 58 year old dad, he loves his hiking.
Although it may be a tad cheesy if not done really smoothly, why not play on the whole "screw the office" mentality. Throw in some drab office type images, photocopiers, big grey files etc and juxtapose it with some amazing mountain shots and boarders neck deep and free Smile I think there are a lot of people out there who don't realise boarding is what theyre looking for. The perfect antidote to mid life crisis etc.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
the french don't seem to have an age or image problem - lots of older guys (haven't seen many women) in one peice 80's suits on boards (seriously). Pam W started boarding rather later in life than most - ask her.

Personally I think you're onto a loser - sorry! Sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm only 38 and already think snowboarding is just for kids. You've got no chance Wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

lots of older guys (haven't seen many women) in one peice 80's suits on boards (seriously).

Masque I didnt realise you board in L D A Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Any campaign aimed at 50 year olds will fail if you annoy them with sloppy grammar and spelling.
It would be a good idea to avoid some of the overtly sexist graphics seen on many boards aimed at young males.
My wife and I started boarding in our fifties and really enjoyed the learning process, bruises and all!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How about this...

a guy, early to mid forties, sitting at his workstation, getting a real bollocking fromn his boss, wh's podgy and sweaty and balding (usual stereotype of a hated boss)

the guys leaving the office and his look of misery turns to a look of relief then joy (at the impending weekend)

The boss is sitting on his fat ass watching the footy, beer tins littered around and obviously worse for wear, frustrated at his teams performance (and his life no doubt)

office guy, with a serene expression, is carving some sweet turns down an alpine piste, taking out skiers who all look exactly like (surprise surprise) his boss, finishing his run wih a nice ollie.

Monday in the office fat boss is being read the riot act from the area manager and office guy is sitting back in his chair, hands clasped behind his head, enoying the show.....

Many thanks to Atomic for their attempt to get us oldies boarding by stretching an Argyll pattern sock over last years Radon
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So its got to be easy, it musn't hurt when you fall over, and rapid progression. I'm 4ate 40s, board 2-3 days per holiday but have to revert back because of kne, back and neck pain. Usually I'l tackle gondola fed runs with soft snow.

Are you looking for new to snowsports 40 -50s or to convert skiers?

I like the walker thing, appealing to the great outdoors and healthy holiday element. Avoid rap / street image, aggressive graphics, jumps. Major on scenery, tranquility, ease of access to amazing mountains and play up the ski / board crossover - Its Tuesday so I'm a boarder today...

........well actually its Frdiay and still 4 weeks until I hit the alps. Ho hum
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well I took up snowboarding when I was 43 (2 years ago) and now have ASBI and CASI 1. There's no reason why it won't be as popular as skiing for 40+'s. Reason for not a lot of boarders my age now is pretty simple, people usually start riding teens or twenties and boarding hasn't been around long enough for riders to reach that age.
It does hurt more when you fall but the trick is not to fall. 180's and 360's are much easier on a board than on skis and you probably need a bit more bravado on a board. If I had to choose either one I would go for.......impossible to choose, but I'd say I've boarded more in the last 2 years. I ride a couple of times a week at dryslope and Cas and these places are definately more fun on a board.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy