Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lyon to Val D'Isere

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

Trying to work out the specifics of my week in Val D'Isere, if anyone has any comments for/against or recommendations, I would appreciate it. I was thinking about flying into Lyon on Friday morning, spending the day there, and taking the train to Chambery. Can anyone recommend any decent hotels in Chambery (preferabely close to the train station)? Get up early Saturday morning and take the first TGV to Bourg St. Mairce, getting us into Val by about 8am for a days skiing.

On the way back, I was thinking of taking one of the late TGVs from Bourg to Lyon and staying somewhere near the airport for the night (morning flight). Can anyone recommend an airport hotel in Lyon?

So, does this sound reasonable? If anyone has any suggestions to make this easier, I would be really appreciative. (Although flying into Chambery isn't an option, as I am flying Lufthansa from the USA and renting a car isn't too easy either, as I am under 25 and parking in Val seemed like a hassle). I think this plan gets me the most skiing possible (8 full days), which will be nice, since I only get a week off.

Thanks a lot
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds fine to me...although I would try and make BSM on the 1st day....the rail system should take you that far, and then its a 90 min coach from the station. BSM should have hotels easily enough unless you arrive a big peak time. Also, you might have time to ski a little bit of Les Arcs on your day in... The funicular goes out from the town.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jml wrote:
Hi everyone,

Trying to work out the specifics of my week in Val D'Isere, if anyone has any comments for/against or recommendations, I would appreciate it. I was thinking about flying into Lyon on Friday morning, spending the day there, and taking the train to Chambery. Can anyone recommend any decent hotels in Chambery (preferabely close to the train station)? Get up early Saturday morning and take the first TGV to Bourg St. Mairce, getting us into Val by about 8am for a days skiing.

On the way back, I was thinking of taking one of the late TGVs from Bourg to Lyon and staying somewhere near the airport for the night (morning flight). Can anyone recommend an airport hotel in Lyon?

So, does this sound reasonable? If anyone has any suggestions to make this easier, I would be really appreciative. (Although flying into Chambery isn't an option, as I am flying Lufthansa from the USA and renting a car isn't too easy either, as I am under 25 and parking in Val seemed like a hassle). I think this plan gets me the most skiing possible (8 full days), which will be nice, since I only get a week off.

Thanks a lot

Only problem I can is if these trains actually exist. Did you check on www.sncf.com?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jml, ....There is a great bus service from Lyon Airport to Val d'Isere, which might take a lot of hassle away.

Satobus-Alpes

About 90 euro return from memory. It would give you a lot more time skiing.......... Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
"So, does this sound reasonable?"

Nope. In the nicest possible way, I must say I can't think of a more convoluted and painful way of doing it!!!

Mind you, you might want to spend a day in Lyon rather than on the slopes, so who am I to judge.

But the alternatives have much to recommend them. Have a look at the bus service. Or the shared-taxi services (ATS). Also, Lyon is the gateway for a number of charter ski opertors taking coach-loads of punters up to Espace Killy - give them a call to find out if you can't get yourself onboard one.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
"So, does this sound reasonable?"

Nope. In the nicest possible way, I must say I can't think of a more convoluted and painful way of doing it!!!

Mind you, you might want to spend a day in Lyon rather than on the slopes, so who am I to judge.

But the alternatives have much to recommend them. Have a look at the bus service. Or the shared-taxi services (ATS). Also, Lyon is the gateway for a number of charter ski opertors taking coach-loads of punters up to Espace Killy - give them a call to find out if you can't get yourself onboard one.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Satobus runs a good bus service from Lyon Airport which might be the easiest way as Bernard C Says

Only the TGV goes directly from Lyon Airport to Bourg and they are few and far between.

To use the SNCF you need to get a bus to Lyon Part Deux, the main Lyon train station,(45 minute journey, bus every 20 mins for about €8 each way) which is messy before getting your train to Bourg and then getting another bus

Definitley get as far as Bourg at least to have any chance of getting to Val for an early start
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof, I was surprised, but the sncf schedule actually works out pretty well for my dates.

JT, My preference was going directly to BSM on Firday and spending the night there, but I am going the last week of February and it seems like no hotel would be willing to do a 1 night stay.

BernardC, Kieran, Manda, I was going to spend 5 hours in Lyon, but I have been there before and am really coming for skiing this time. I was thinking about the bus (as it would desfinately be easier), but won't be able to find anywhere to stay in BSM for a Friday night. Taking the bus on Saturday will certianly give me less ski time, as I should get to BSM at about 7am on the train. For coming back to Lyon, does anyone know what time the last bus leaves (does it leave Val or BSM?)?

If I am "stuck" doing this, can anyone recommend a hotel in Chambery? Also, how is Chambery for spending an afternoon? I was thinking of this instead of Lyon, but have never left the train station. What is the town like?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jml, ... you don't mention any specific dates, so you might need to play around on the 'Satobus' site for times. costs etc.

Why do you think you won't you be able to find anywhere to stay in Bourg St. Maurice on a Friday night?

Why not go straight up to Val d'Isere, from Lyon airport on the Friday of your arrival...

.... and straight from Val d'Isere to Lyon airport on the Saturday of your departure?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone, The bus back to the airport in Lyon is a good idea (does it leave from Val or BSM?). What is the bus to the airport like (reletively comfortable, etc)? Also, can anyone recommend a Lyon Airport Hotel?
I am going Feb. 25th until March 3rd, so right in the middle of the French School Holidays. I can't seem to find anywhere in BSM that does one night stays, so I thought that my best bet would probably be somewhere like Chambery on the TGV line, as this would let me get into BSM and up to Val for a full days skiing on Saturday. Hotels in Chambery don't seem too hard to come by, but I guess that I should also take a look at Albertville (is there anywhere else close to BSM that may be worth looking at?)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jml, the bus (it's actually a modern coach, so a comfortable journey) goes from direct from Val d'Isere to Lyon airport. Finding a single night's accommodation in resort at peak season is almost impossible. There was a recent thread of somebody trying to find a night in BSM and he didn't manage to find anything in a hotel or B&B.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jml, ....your dates confirm your predicament....! It's a busy time and difficult to get a hotel room for a single night, when the same room can be let for a whole week. Sad

SATOBUS-ALPES. There are two busses from Lyon Airport to Val d'Isere on Friday 23rd February, 10:45 and 15:45. There are five busses on Saturday 24th February, 09:00, 11:30, 14:00, 16:30 & 19:15.

There are five busses from Val d'Isere on Saturday March 3rd, 06:15, 06:45, 07:45, 10:45 & 13:45. The return fare is 92,00 euro. (Includes both trips). You really need to book this in advance to gurantee a seat, especially on the Saturday services.

There are two hotels at Lyon Airport, Hotel Sofitel and Hotel Kyriad. You can access their websites here. I have not stayed in either of these hotels, but I expect they will be fine. Staying at an airport hotel is never a bundle of laughs....! Toofy Grin

I suggest you try the Bourg Saint Maurice Central Reservations Service for Chambre d'Hotes (Bed & Breakfast) for Friday 23rd February. You can then get a bus from Bourg Saint Maurice bus station up to Val d'Isere.

Failing that, try Albertville. I will try to get some information for you on accommodation in Moutiers. They have a dreadful website, or you might be able to source that though a France hotel search.

You may need to consider flying to Lyon on Saturday 24th and just going by bus to Val d'Isere - returning by bus on the following Saturday March 3rd. If I am in France & push comes to shove, I can put you up for a night at my place in La Roche (below La Plagne). I tend to avoid being in France during school holidays, but might be there this season......Happy hunting...... snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BernardC, Thanks, the airport bus back is probably the way to go. I will book that when I get everything else settled. I will give both BSM and Albertville a try, as flying into Lyon on the 24th isn't a good option. The earliest flight I could make from Frankfurt wouldn't get me there until about 2:30 and I would lose the entire day skiing and would also have to deal with the evening transfer crowds on Saturday. I think just staying as close as possible to BSM on the train line and getting the first train in the morning is probably my best bet. I may just have to start working my way back from BSM to find something, hopefully it won't be too far. Do you know if Albertville is the last stop on the TGV line before BSM?

Too bad this is the only week I have off this year, was in Tignes at the end of March last winter and had choice of accomodation, no crowds, snow, etc.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jml, .....I believe that AIME (Aime La Plagne) is the last stop before Bourg Saint Maurice. ( I live fairly close enough to Aime - between Aime and La Plagne) If you get stuck and can't find anything send me a PM.

Rail Europe is a good resource and this US Version may be of assistance if you hadn't come across it previously.

Holiday season is serious! Still I am sure we will have plenty of snow, so one out of three ain't bad....... Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BernardC, Thanks a lot, I try to take a look there. I was pretty lucky last time, there were days when I would have an entire piste on the glacier in Tignes to myself. Not much of a chance of that for the last week in February. Either way, it is still better than where I am now, one mouintian with a 150-200m vertical.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy