Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Update on snow conditions - Alps and further afield

Poster: A snowHead
LDA, France is due to open tomorroe Friday 27th October.

Report here
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A Tignes update from PG at mysnowsports:

Quote:
Pretty grim conditions up there this morning. Daughter's group got as far as the funicular down at Val Claret, but turned back when they heard from another Les Arcs group already training - apparently the wind was so strong that the cablecar was out of action, and there were half hour queues for the drag. While skiers were waiting to go up they were all lying down in an attempt to escape the full force of the gusts, it was that bad! (Would have made an interesting photo...)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
overall then ...rubbish at the mo Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chris Brookes, I think it was pretty nice in Tignes earlier in the week. Fair amount of snow after after the weekend, and pleasant weather. Today looked like it was only spoiled by very strong winds.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Stowe is looking good up high. Another month and it should be looking good down low too!

Vosges (doesn't count to some) has no snow yet, but it's on the way!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the Tignes update rob@rar, I'll be starting to keep a keen eye on there snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cathy, me too, rather obsessively! I don't know whether the mental image of lots of junior racers lying on the snow to keep out of the wind is funny or scary Wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, when are you off there? Shame there wasn't a photo of the above.....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cathy, 18th November for a week.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There seems to be a bit of snow on the ground in Whistler Very Happy Opening Day is Nov 23rd (US Thanksgiving)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
and closer to home

http://www.cairngormmountain.com/cams/image2.jpg

but as I have linked to a live picture it may of all disappeared off the top of cairngorm by the time you look at it. Howvere as of 9am 27th Oct the tops of the scottish mountains have turned white.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks like the tale end of yesterday's storms brought that?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Looks like the tale end of yesterday's storms brought that?

Yep - and it was one hell of a storm. Looks like the high winds have damaged the Heriot Watt AWS at the summit aswell. Had a rather scary journey to Huntly for the HNSC club training night last night - just avoiding fallen trees.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave Horsley wrote:
and closer to home

http://www.cairngormmountain.com/cams/image2.jpg

but as I have linked to a live picture it may of all disappeared off the top of cairngorm by the time you look at it. Howvere as of 9am 27th Oct the tops of the scottish mountains have turned white.

Still there Dave as I post, looks lovely if only a skiff - there's a great piccy posted on Winterhighland from earlier today with a reindeer grazing in the foreground - Christmas has come early on the Ptarmigan bowl it seems Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks like there's more there now than there was an hour ago!
snow report
The same system brought snow to parts of Finland too. Looks like a similar one coming through first half of next week with some pretty strong northerlies (http://meteonet.nl/aktueel/brackall.htm). Worth keeping an eye on.
ski holidays
At the very least this'll hopefully help to start chilling the ground - at best we could have another chance of an early season ski on the Gorm - nice one Very Happy

Whatever happens it's great to see the first snow of the year in the highlands Very Happy
ski holidays
what are people's general thoughts about the snow forecast for the months ahead?

Given this unseasonably warm autumn and the fact that el Nino has reappeared, what are the omens for the season?

Do I need to consult Mystic Meg or some other reliable reader of runes\teabags\tree rings\the Beano?
snow report
^ Forgve my ignorance, I know it's a weather system but what effect does el Nino have?
snow conditions
roga, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_nino
snow conditions
zippy, I thought "the Omen" was re-released last year? Did I miss something? Not wanting to be too facetious...honest...

At some levels at times there is likely to be a mix of sunshine, wind, rain, snow, hail, sleet and fog. Some resorts will have a bumper season, at least some of the time. Some will have the best/worst* season in living memory (as far back as last year anyway). And most skiers will form firm lifetime sweeping opinions on a resorts "snowiness" based on effectively a single observation.

So business much as usual really.

* delete as applicable.
ski holidays
^ Good old Wikipedia, I might have guessed there'd be something there - thanks Ronald.

Reading that would I be correct in presuming the main affect (from the skiing perspective) is on temperatures in North America? I can't see any mentions of any affect in Europe.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy