Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has anyone ever spray painted their skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I really love my Volkl Supersport 5 Star's but the more I use them the more I hate the paint job.

I'm thinking of spraying them plain black. Edges, bases and the binding mounting rails to be suitably masked/protected of course.

Does anyone have any advice re flexible paint type etc or know of a company in the UK that offers such a service?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jon, I know that Dulux do a very good flexible white paint - it is recommended for use on projector screens for home cinemas. Not sure if they do other colours.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spyderjon, my old skis (long thin Kastles - pre carver days) had a pretty plain black top. Shows every mark. Would suggest something lighter. White doesn't show scratches much but you might have trouble finding them in deep powder if they come off. Black is good however in that it warms up quickly in the sun and sheds stuck on snow and ice.
As for the practicality of doing it - sorry can't help much. You might have difficulty getting good adhesion to whatever the existing surface is. Particularly if it has transfers (decals). They might 'lift' with the solvents in the new paint. I think adhesion of the thin layer of new spray paint might be more important than flexibility.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've often thought of painting my skis too.

They're pocket Rockets and whilst I'm perfectly happy with the way they look, they have often been referred to as 'the most nickable skis ever made'.
It's not that they're the most expensive, far from it, just that being blue and fat, they stand out and happen to be a bit fashionable at the moment rolling eyes

From the day I bought them, people started telling me about 'their mate who had three pairs of them robbed in one week' or some such shocking fable. Funny how no-one ever felt the urge to tell me such tales during the 2 weeks I skied on hired ones rolling eyes

Anyway, yes, I want to paint my skis - tell me how!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i've seen some guys doing custom jobs on boards. So presume totally the same for skis?

As with any painting, if you want a good job - really clean the top sheet well, key up the area slightly with some fine grain sand paper, then use a good primer. Then paint in a flexible paint.......think i remember the paints being acrylics? then cover with a sprayed covering "Plasticote" is one i've seen in B&Q that would do as it's quite flexible and will protect the paint which is more deilcate.

Black looks really good on snowboards in the snow that i've seen! Go for it, ok if it doesn't work just try again, it wont take that long and if marks show, just do it again!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Unless you are committed to black, make sure you use a UV- protected paint (outdoor grade). When I rattle-canned my K2 610s (the first skis I painted) I knew about the flexibility issues and used an automotive vinyl-urethane paint, originally designed for interior plastic bits, I imagine. Well, after 4 days in Utah, the white paint definitely got a tan (faint custard is faster,no? Eeeew).

Glossy paints are better as matte finish is partly due to actual voids in the outermost coat.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
u brain, if you're skiing with other people, mix the pairs up when leaving them unattended. Yes, someone could find the pair eventually, but it lessens the chances of them just being picked up and walked with (and they can't use the excuse "I thought they were mine").
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had a close look at my 5 Stars at the weekend. Looks like I could have a problem as the top sheet has a textured finish, like a course sandpaper, which I can't rub down. However the textured finish should give a great key for the paint.

I reckon a good clean with a degreaser to get into the textured finish, a good primer, a couple of coats of flexible acrylic car paint & a sealing coat of Plasticote (thanks Dan for the B&Q tip) should do it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skanky, nice idea but the guy I ski with most, skis Pocket Rocket 175's too. Not only that but we fit each others bindings too rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
admin, oh well. Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Detailed photos and links here although the final product looks a lot like my 40-year old GEOS skis. (Not at all sure about the guy's artistic 'vision') U, how about a nice caribou stencil instead?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
comprex, Those planks look terrible.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy