Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Rosiere - Les Eucherts area

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Has anyone stayed in this hamlet which I have been told is around one mile from the centre of La Rosiere? We have booked to stay in a chalet for a quick break just before Xmas this year. (I actually wanted to go back to L2A and lessons with Charlotte but my husband wants to try somewhere new..!). Wondered how far it actually is from the centre and what is there apart from the one restaurant mentioned in the brochure.

My husband and son are very good skiers but I am ruled by piste colours (I'm told this is fairly normal in a novice skier.. well, actually, not quite a novice, just not very good...) and am ok on most blues but definitely not happy on steeper red runs. The reports I have read about La R seem quite favourable but I just wondered if anyone else is a bit of a pussy when it comes to skiing and has been there? Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bridgit Jones, don't look at the colours on the piste markers, believe me, the skiing in La Ros is not amazingly challenging. All I remenbe about Les Eucherts was skiing down to it, havind a drink, and cathcing the chair back up. Looked quite quiet.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bridgit Jones, This thread may be of interest to you... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=406789
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bridgit Jones, There is not much in Les Eucherts apart from one very good restaurand, L'Ancolie. It is about a mile into town and the buses stop at about 6.30. Most of the reds are just to say red and can be tackled with ease. Personally I would stay in Les Eucherts only if was in a catered chalet, or had use of a car.

I think La Rosiere is a lovely place for a holiday. There is plenty of easy cruising, with the main blue back into Les Eucherts being a lovely rolling piste. There is more challenging stuff if you need it, folks say there isn't but compared to many resorts there is steep stuff to be had. Food is good, and over in La Thuile it can be excellent.

Excellent ski schools and instructors. Again I would prefer not to go to early or late as 2 of the best runs are quite low down with the Fontaine Froid red being just about my favourite run. You can go non stop 1150 down for a lovely hot chocolate at the bottom. Some would say boring, All of our holidaying compatriots have loved it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bridgit Jones, We stayed there this year at the MGM apartments we found it very convenient with quick and easy access to the lift. We did have a car which as we were self catering made life a lot easier but if you are in a catered chalet should not be an issue.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ray Zorro, Have read the various threads thanks and think it sounds like a good place to try out.

Frosty the Snowman, Is it easy to walk into town and back if we wanted to do so during the evening? We are booked into a catered chalet so will probably try out L'Ancolie on our hosts evening off unless we do go into the town.

Helen Beaumont, I know it is ridiculous to go by piste colours and hopefully (I say this every time..) I will get over it this year. I think I would be better off skiing with someone of similar ability (hence I tried to get some time off to come to the PSB - cannot do unfortunately). We went to L2A for a short break last Easter and I had a couple of small group lessons with Charlotte where I met a lovely lady who I skied with a couple for a couple of days after my lessons and I really improved and felt confident. My husband tends to push me too far - he cannot understand why I 'freeze' on certain parts of a piste (usually when I reach a really steep bit) consequently we end up rowing and I end up in tears, skis come off and I end up scooting down on my bum mid piste nearly EVERY time we ski together! A common thing apparently according to a lot of threads I have read on here!

I really don't know why I keep trying...?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bridgit Jones wrote:
I really don't know why I keep trying...?

Becuase you just love skiing of course Very Happy

Skiing with similar abilities is a great thing; if you're a lower-ability slider then you get the feeling you're holding everyone up even when they say it's fine... or maybe it's just me?

Do you take lessons each time? Good instruction should help you get over your fear of the steeper slope. I had the exact same experience, but quality lessons last time out - on easy pistes - gave me better control and a good mental approach (take my time!) and I am no longer afraid of reds. Lesson time will also give your hubby chance to ski at his own pace; perhaps that will take the edge off his frustration?

I am going to La Ros myself at half-term with the family, and am really looking forward to it!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Is it easy to walk into town and back if we wanted to do so during the evening

We have done it in the other direction- walked from La Ros to l'Ancolie in les Eucherts. I would say it takes about 15 minutes going out, probably 20 coming back in the dark, but only feels like 10 because of the effects of (ahem) drinkies.

Send the old man to Italy to wear him out and play on the easy blues at the town end. I particularly recommend Papillon, which is very easy and great fun if you don't want to be scared. Or as FTS suggests, (edit: not Chamois) Gelinotte which has rather easier lift access.

And enjoy yourself.

David

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 28-10-06 12:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bridgit Jones, By road it is downhill them up again there was supposed to be a footpath but we never managed to find it although when we were there it was snowing heavilly for most of the time. Would agree with DJ, on times if the roads are clear.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bridgit Jones, ESF are very good, but Evolution2 are ecxellent IMHO. For lessons you can get the bus to La Rosiere, but its probably easier to get the Euherts Express lift up and cruise into LA Rosiere, far less walking. As Les Eucherts expands I wouls have thougt they should extend the bus service later into the night.

Most of the reds are very tame. Ask nearer the time for any reqd info.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There is a path through 6the treees. It is well made and has lighting. ( It is very romatic walking back at night ) and this comment is from a man
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We stayed in Les Balcons in Eucherts Last year, walked into town 3 nights and walked back, 15 mins max walk and the path is well lit through the trees.

We enjoyed the runs into La Thuile and found the Italian side a lot more challenging to ski and food and drink at lunchtime a lot cheaper than the French side.

We enjoyed it so much our group of ten are going back this January, we are staying in self catered in Les Eucherts again, but a private independent chalet.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We stayed in Les Balcons in a catered chalet apartment back in 2009. I think there is more in LE than some previous posters have mentioned. On the night we had to eat out we went to a steak restaurant but the name escapes me but it was good. There's bowling, a spa, several bars, and eateries. Also a spar to pick up beers and other essentials. There's a bar called Moo Bar that gets rather rowdy later on, we spent NYE in there and it was great fun (very expensive though!) we went looking for some bars in le Ros proper and didnt find much, and what there was was really quiet. The path through the trees is really pleasent as others have mentioned, we had a free shuttle included with our accom but never used it.

On the skiing front Le Ros will suit you fine, even at Christmas it was quiet and out of LE there were seldom more than than a 2 min queue. If you don't mind covering the same blue runs while you build your confidence with a couple of red sections running parallel to the blues so you can easily bail out but apart form a less groomed surface were no steeper/difficult than the blues. The blue down into LE had a pretty steep section right at the top from what I recall. I'd stick around the blues around LE & Le Ros as further over I remember allot of pomas with a slowish chair up to the fort.

The infamous Poma over to Le Thuille has earned it's rep, it's a little time consuming getting over to Le Thuille but well worth it. The run to getting down to the Poma is a red from memory but a group of 1 week skiers in the group made it down.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you're really "ruled" by marker poles then La Ros may be one of the worst places to go as everything is marked at least one grade harder than it actually should be! wink

I jest, but it is occasionally a real issue! Fortunately, they did change the grade of one piste (from Red to Blue) which is always the first run you do if heading over to Italy. This saves me from a few "can't believe you took us straight on 2 red runs!".

There are a couple of sections which are tough for nervous skiers:

Dropping down towards the Italian side from the Fort is a red. It is not steep, but it is narrow and often busy - so often very cut-up and bumpy.

The red off the top of the Piccolo Saint Bernardo chair has a steep start - steeper than the black which turns off it shortly after!

The Blue off the top of the same chair, heading back to La Rosiere is a bit of an odd one. It has a steep, but very short, start, followed by a long, long, long flat run out. Again, the steep start is often busy and cut-up.

Most of the runs back to the bottom at La Thuile are pretty steep - genuine blacks where marked as such. The long red which goes way out to skier's right from the top of the Forclaz chair is probably both the best and easiest way down to La Thuile.

Bridgit Jones, if you do suffer from "freezing" issues on steep sections, I'd strongly recommend taking a private lesson with a good instructor - get a recommendation. Alex Rippe - www.alextrem.org - is based in Sainte Foy but teaches at La Ros sometimes. He's excellent. Karin Arpin-Pont (based in La Ros) also gets very good feedback. It'll really help!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We stayed in a catered chalet in Les Eucherts 2 years ago, loved it! No it isnt a long walk into the main town, and its a lovely pretty walk. A lot of the properties a almost ski in/out, ours was although we didnt know until we arrived. There are some lovely long easy blues, a a really nice green Les forets? Enjoy it, it really is a lovely place.
snow report
I might be wrong but I think Bridgit has been by now.
ski holidays
Ha ha think you are right!"!! Laughing
latest report
stevomcd, not a bad summing up. I would say that the runs down to the Petite Bois and the Les Ecudets chairs is a genuine reds, as are the two running back down to the Fort chair as these 2 have another steep top section.

The red from the top of Roches Noires chair down to the Fort chair was definately only a blue and was rightly changed. SOme very nice and intersting pistes with great bends and rolls, let down by a number of rather dangerous crossing points.
ski holidays
That all sounds pretty good guys. We are going on 28th Jan staying in Les Cimes Blanches which has some good reports. Four of us going of mixed ability. I am on my 4th week and quite ambititious (managed the red off the top of Aguile Rouge at Les Arcs last year), my partner and her brother have skiied since childhood. He is a bit kamikaze, she is cautious but a very good skiier. His partner is a good intermediate. So sounds like maybe something for everyone?
Am I right it is a draglift over to La Thulie and a chair back?
Thanks all
snow report
krisw123, It's a drag lift over but you can ski back, it's pretty flat though. Skiing back in a whiteout one day was rather interesting with a group of beginners..... It can at time feel like you're not even moving!

If you managed the Aguille Rouge you will (conditions dependant) be able to ski everything in Le Ros without too many issues, there was so much snow there when we went I haven't had as good since but some got a bit bumpy by mid day, attack the bumps though as it's great practice for getting into off piste.

I love Kamikaze skiers, you only get better by trying harder! Toofy Grin
snow report
krisw123,

We are out at La Ros staying in Les Eucherts the same week, once you have done the long drag lift to La Thuile, the ski down through pine trees to the resort itself is worth the effort
snow report
krisw123 wrote:

Am I right it is a draglift over to La Thulie and a chair back?

To get over to La thuile from Les Eucharts you need to take a chairlift (or two) to the fort. Then ski down a red to the drag lift...you need to keep the momentum up going down the red as the drag start is slightly uphill from the bottom of the red piste. Then you can either just take the first long drag and ski down to the san bernando area and go from there to la thuile. Or carry on to the second drag and go straight up to la thuile. It is all very easy if the visibility is good. The first time we got to top of the second drag and couldn't see anything at all so went back down to the san bernando area. We were luckier later on in the week.

To get back to la rosiere you take a chair up to the top of la thuile, I think you then ski down to another chair (belvedere?) up that chair and then down a run to a two man chair which takes you back to the Fort and the top of la rosiere. Not sure if that chair has been upgraded since we went..it was pretty slow!

The pistes directly above La Rosiere/ Les Eucharts are not that exciting but there is plenty of varied skiing in the san bernando and la thuile areas. There is also a great red in la rosiere itself called fontaine froide.

I'm sure you will enjoy the cimes blanches appartments. They are very well located in the resort, right next to the piste and the spa area is great.

Don't forget your balaclava as it can get a bit cold and windy on the chair lifts in la rosiere..I don't normally get bothered by cold but even I resorted to a balaclava there!
ski holidays
krisw123,

Couple of pics for you. Decided on re-reading your thread to look at some pics and reminisce about my trip. Les Arc as taken by the Les Eucherts lift and over towards LE.

snow report
Thanks everyone. Great info and pics from Griswald. Some similar weather would be great! We are doing the transfer from Chambery by Altibus. This requires a change at Bourg St M. Has anyone done this and if so does the bus got to Les Eucherts or will we have to make our own way from the centre of La Ros?
Cheers, Chris
snow report
krisw123, I'd be very surprised if they didn't drop at LE first as you have to drive through/past LE to get to Le Ros. When we went it was probably the worst weeks weather I've ever had in 20 odd years of skiing! The weather was like the above the first day then 4 days of the craziest whiteout ever then finished as you see above. Great powder though, there's a huge unposted bowl over near the fort which was great fun and DEEP!!!!
snow report
Maybe a bit advanced for me Grizwald but you never know with a bit of encouragement and help from the others! Can't wait this year to get cracking! Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy