Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas snow? Try NZ!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
While it pretty much forgot to snow in Oz this year (the season being saved by snowmaking) it seems NZ was off the other end of the scale. Whakapapa on the North Island is closing for now at it's official season end on 29th October with a near 2m base on the upper mountain.

That though might not be the end of it, while a final decision will be taken late November depending on weather, they're hopeful of opening up for Summer Skiing in Dec and taking the 2006 NZ season through Christmas and New Year.

That would be like our ski season going through mid-summers day and surface lift operations continuing into July.... you never know!

From Newsletter:

Quote:
SUMMER SKIING??
It’s NOT official yet but it's looking promising for some summer skiing/boarding at Whakapapa this year! Yipeee….sun, scenery and snow, a perfect mix! This, of course, is subject to snow and weather conditions. There is nowhere else in the Southern Hemisphere where you can take a chairlift ride up and go skiing/boarding over Christmas! We'll send out an email as soon as any decisions have been made.

Lift ticket prices will be announced closer to opening day. 2006 Ruapehu Season Pass holders will receive a significant discount. Please see www.mtruapehu.com in late November for more details.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, there was certainly plenty enough snow to ski there in the 2nd week of Jan 1995 (a bit before the last big eruption, the crater lake was at about 60C at the time). I would say a bit over a metre, as I fell down a hole to mid thigh on the climb up to the crater rim. There was snow down just to the top station of the gondola, and I think I remember a couple of people skiing. It may not have been too pleasant though as the snow, certainly that just above the gondola, was pretty heavy and slushy - but probably nothing out of the ordinary for those used to skiing in Scotland Wink . I didn't ski, as I'd only recently started and wasn't yet addicted Shocked .

FWIW, there was no snow on the mountain at all in April 1998.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They seem to be taking full advantage of the late snow. Very Happy

Will our female snowheads follow the example and invite the other half of the contingent to a Bra BQ at the EOSB? Madeye-Smiley
The whole event does seem to have been fun - and raised money for a charity. Might be an idea to have a charity event at the EOSB, thinking about it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wow, that's pretty amazing - lucky old New Zealand! Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy