Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas snow...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Having requested advice on this before I went off and did my research and decided on Austria, I then narrowed it down to Ischgl, Soelden etc. but nearly fell of my chair when I realised it was going to cost me €4,000, half board for myself, my wife and the two girls (flying from Dublin, the stag capital of Europe)...My Dad and step mum are coming also and they're keen on Austria but I can get either Alpe D'Huez or Les Deux Alpes for circa €2000 self catering which sits much better with the bank manager.
Am I liklely to be getting much more in the Austrian resorts either snow fall or facilities to warrant paying twice the price over the two French resorts I've mentioned ? One last question, is Zell Am See high enough for Christmas snow ?

Thanks a mill.....

Ben
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ben Dover,
It has been said quite a few times here that height is not probably the most important determinant of early season snow. It is often luck of the draw, and you can get scrappy snow most places at xmas and may get great snow anywhere. For what it is worth in recent seasons Austria has had a better xmas recrod than may parts of France I believe.
In Zell am See you have the nearby glacier of Kaprun which will guarantee you some skiing and most places now have a pretty good man madel snow set up on there main runs.
Personally I would go with Austria if that is what the family wants if you DIY it and take a car you will be able to drive to some decent snow in all but the worst years.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We went to Zell am See last christmas and are going again this year. The conditions were perfect with plenty of snow and several sunny days. We could not ask for more really and are hoping for the same again this year. Zell is a very pretty resort, something you do not get in France..
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you can wait until the last minute, then I would probably plump for Austria. Its early-season conditions have been amazing for the last 2 or 3 years. St Anton and Obergurgl are good bets.

Andorra, like Austria, has also had excellent early conditions for the last few years and may be worth a last-minute punt.

However, if you absolutely must book in advance, then the Golden Rule is still to aim high. Val d'Isere had a bad start last year, but generally offers superb early-season snow. Tignes is usually very good, too. Les 2 Alpes should be fine, even though its glacier has had a bad Summer and lost a shedload of ice.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all for the info !
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks to all who replied to this post as well as the previous one on this topic....Trip booked to Saalbach Christmas week.....All I want know is for lots of lovely fluffy snow....!

Cheers,

Ben
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy