Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calling the doctors.....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My Dad swears by Glucosamine Sulphate - he has suffered with sciatica for years.

Deb
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hoppo wrote:

If the placebo effect is an effective treatment, then doctors could quite legitimately prescribe 'placebo' with the words "Here you go, prescription for X - it'll make you feel much better". I'm not sure if I want the doctors in the house to tell me they're already doing this or not.

My Dad, GP now retired, always used to tell us that the placebo patients responded to best was 'pink medicine'. So if you find that a high percentage of your treatments are pink and liquid, be suspicious!

David
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
If the placebo effect is an effective treatment, then doctors could quite legitimately prescribe 'placebo' with the words "Here you go, prescription for X - it'll make you feel much better". I'm not sure if I want the doctors in the house to tell me they're already doing this or not. It'd also be interesting to know if patient outcomes were better if you just doubled contact time, or even increased it by a more modest amount.

There has been some discussion about this in the media (by doctors) recently, so I assume that the doctors have been discussing it themselves? There is a distinct ethical dimension to it, especially when there are efficable treatments available.

For discussions on pretty much all of the subjects in this thread Ben Goldacre's site is a good one to read (whether you agree with him or not). He writes the "Bad Science" column in the Grauniad. As a number of his articles get cut, it's often worth reading his site's versions for the full text and follow-ups.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
At the moment it is not considered ethical to prescribe placebo in the UK. Suggesting something such as Glucosamine or similar may be considered a way around that ethical problem, perhaps not even consciously in many cases.

I think that there are also two distinct issues that need to be considered here, in the form that health care workers may ask themselves-

"Is this something that I feel is worth spending the NHS' money on, bearing in mind that we have a limited budget, and so if I spend the money on this, it means spending less on another treatment, that is likely to be more cost effective?"

which may have a slightly different answer than the question-

"Is this something that may have a benefit to my patient, that I may be able to recommend, so long as they are paying for themselves, and so not using up funds that would be better spent elsewhere?"

So in this case, whilst I would not be personally inclined to support the availability of glucosamine on the NHS (or magnetic wrist bands for that matter!), I see no harm in people trying it, or other complimentary therapies, providing it does them no harm.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
So in this case, whilst I would not be personally inclined to support the availability of glucosamine on the NHS (or magnetic wrist bands for that matter!), I see no harm in people trying it, or other complimentary therapies, providing it does them no harm.

Which is pretty much the conclusion I've seen reached in most cases where this has been openly discussed.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy