Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne here we come...

Poster: A snowHead
Going there at the beginning of January, don't know anything about skiing/boarding but would like to know what to expect in terms of the actual place?

Is it a good place for beginners?
What's the nightlife like?
Do the French drink pints?
Does the local hospital have a ward for numpty Englishmen?
Will I have a good time?
Is it expensive to eat/drink?
Is it easy to navigate for the beginner (i.e. lifts, shuttles etc)?
Will a non-French speaker get on okay?
Aves vou un cuppa?

Cheers

Spesh
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry, going to answer your questions with more questions...Which part of La Plagne are you going to be staying in, and in what sort of accommodation? What sort of group are you in? How have you organised the trip (are you using a tour operator, for example)? Are you planning to have lessons? Can't really answer your questions properly without a bit more information.

But yes, you are going to have a good time and welcome to snowHead s.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Specialman, just seen your post in the snowboard thread.... will have a good look at that and get back to you
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Righty ho,

There are five of us going (two have boarded before) and those two are organising the whole lot. Whether we go with a tour operator or do it all ourselves is really dependant on whether the prices are good - I don't mind paying that little extra for say a Neilson holiday if I know I'll get good service from the reps and instructors et al. If there's £100s in it then i think we'll do it independant of the tour operator.

I don't know which part of La Plagne we'll be staying at, but I know we will be going to the La Plagne area (is it referred to as Paradiski? simply because these two fellas know the place, which makes it easier for them to show us around outside of the lessons we'll be having.

Definitely planning to have lessons. I've only skied on dry slopes before and have never even seen a snowbaord, so I want some kind of reward for my money. Anyway, I've been told that it's pretty much essential to get some form of tuition, so i'll do that along with the other two beginners.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
La Plagne is a good place for beginners, especially if you are in the main bowl - very little walking or humping your stuff around. It's purpose built, and pretty snowsure, which also means it's architecturally not very exciting (some parts, like Plagne Bellecote, positively horrible, others, like Belle Plagne, more sympathetic). You can't have everything. There are bars, of course, but I don't think even a big LP enthusiast would describe it as having much varied apres ski. It's not expensive to eat and drink compared to other ski resorts - but local shopping will cost more than a big supermarket (where prices overall are comparable to UK). Lunches on the mountain can add up. For some, this is an essential part of the holiday experience, others stuff a few muesli bars in the pocket and hang on till the evening. If you go in low season (ie after 10 Jan, this year) the slopes will be uncrowded and you might get some excellent last minute bargains from the tour operators, provided you are flexible about where to go. But having friends who know their way round the resort is certainly a help - not that, as beginners, you will be able to cover a lot of ground; it's a huge area, even excluding the Les Arcs link. The whole area is called Paradiski, now that the two are linked. Get some advice on the ski schools - my only experience there was of ESF, often not the best bet. There is an independent school in Plagne Centre called Oxygene, others here will probably have had experience of them. How did you get on with the dry slope skiing? The real thing is easier and a lot more fun.

Finally, the French drink beer in big glasses, but half litres rather than pints, I think. Fizzy stuff mostly. Don't worry about lack of French, the staff in bars and restaurants will all be used to English skiers who don't speak French. If you remember to smile and say "bonjour" before you order, it will make a big difference. Medical facilities in France are good, as are the rescue services which get you off the mountain, but make sure you have top quality insurance.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Specialman, Paradiski refers to the combined area of La Plagne and Les Arcs there is a large cable car between the two.
I don't know La Plagne particularly well but went there for a week last season so will try and answer some of your questions.
La Plagne is a huge high purpose built collection of resorts. They are not the most attractive collections of buildings in the world and some are positively ugly but the area is attractive with spectacular views to Mont Blanc and is definately worth going to.

Quote:

Will I have a good time?
Aves vou un cuppa?

Its great for beginners plenty of gentle runs with a good snow record.

The night life was nothing special where I was but then I don't have the energy any more to do much more than a few quiet pints after skiing.

French drink beer yep but I dont know if you can get much other than French Lager in most places personally I prefer it to the stuff they call Lager in UK, but it ain't ale.

Plenty of numpties arround so I imagine there is a hospital. wink

Expense depends on where you drink and eat it can get pricey if you are not careful but less so than some places.

Big resorts are a little more difficult to navigate than small ones and can get a little bewildering for the first time skier. Often worthwhile looking at the piste map and finding out where you are even in lessons.
Lots of none French speakers will be there and have no problem, always helps to have a little bit of the lingo though and you get a more friendly service if you know some of the French pleasantries.

Cuppas not easy but I usually drink cafe cheers snowHead

There has been a lot written on DIY versus tour Operator, personally I think if you have friends who know the ropes the reps are not really necessary. But you may be able to get a really good price through a tour operator going low season that you cannot match DIY'ing.

Have a great time snowHead

EDIT Looks like we are saying much the same things Pam I wasn't copying honest.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've written a bit replying to your post in snowboarding but I'll be more specific here.
Quote:

Yes, there's loads of long blues and easy reds as well as some more challenging ones for later in the week
Quote:

Fairly quiet but depends where you stay, we stayed in Plagne 1800 and there was one pub although that was apparently pretty lively, I'm more of a stay in getting drunk on free wine and playing cards sort of person.
Quote:

1/2 litres more than pints but it's a simila amount, not cheap though and it'll be lager.
Quote:

Not from experience I'd guess they do, make sure you have adequate insurance though this is very important as bills for healthcare and especially rescue can be huge (£1000's)
Quote:

Will I have a good time?

Definately, just enjoy the time out there
Quote:

No more than any other resort, in fact we got a pretty cheap takeaway pizza and wine from the supermarket on the hosts night off. On the slopes the prices varied, there's a good restuarant on the back of the mountain past the lift that goes back up Verdons which is resonable, make sure you get a lot of speed up on the way down though as it's a long flat (closest I got my board was about 100m away before I had to walk)
Quote:

Don't get over-awed by the size of the area and it's not too bad, the runs are very well marked and junctions well signposted too. Just keep checking your map and get advice from your instructor.
Quote:

Didn't affect my SO at all, I speak a little French but hardly used any.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Specialman, I've been to La Plagne about 5 times. It's a great resort - loads of runs and lots of places to go. In fact the skiing is so excellent I won't dwell on it.

There are 7eral villages - the best for nightlife is definitely Plagne Centre . Staying in Plagne centre will be best if you want to do lots of drinking, but it is one of the uglier villages. If you want something a bit more pleasing on the eye try Belle Plagne - although I'm not sure about the nightlife in Belle (and I have been told that if there's tons of snow there's an avalanche risk in Belle!).

Try the following for good value accomodation - Tim Squires at Ski Epm Ltd (http://www.skiepm.com) is v budget in my experience, but Tim's a good guy and has offer accomodation in La Plagne for years. I've also used Silver Ski (http://www.silverski.co.uk) - great value chalet hols. Some of their chalets are really close to Plagne Centre. Silver ski also have a good social skier program, which will help you to get to know the area quickly without standing around looking at the piste map.

Enjoy Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NeilInSpain, have checked out both sites and www.skiepm.com looks ace. The prices are good and hopefully I'll get the booking sorted this weekend at a much lower price than I originally thought I was going to la Plagne for. Cheers for the headsup on that matey.

Spesh
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
By the way, does anyone know the best option for transfers to la Plagne?

We're looking at flying to Lyon (unless there is a better option, Grenoble maybe?) and the transfers seem mighty pricey - £90 each (£450 in total for my group) right up to £700 with one firm!!! Is there a train from lyon that would do the trip cheaper without it taking too much time? I believe a transfer from Lyon to the resort is about 3 hours?

Would renting a people carrier for the week be a worthy (and cheaper) option? Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Specialman, we've always rented a car to La Plagne (albeit from GVA). Best place for your group IMO is Plagne Centre. Easy for lessons, best nightlife etc...

You need any more help let me know, the 1st 5 weeks of my 10 weeks skiing were in La Plagne.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Specialman, if you can get to Grenoble it is closer - easyjet go there from both Luton and Gatwick (albeit v. early from Luton - but according to your sig you are just up the road...) . If you hire a car, make sure that you either :
1) don't choose Europecar - Easy do special deals with them, and so the Q to get a car is longer than the journey (bitter and twisted by the experience, moi? snowHead )
2) If you do choose Europecar, have one person get in the Q (outside the main lounge) and the others pick up the bags of the carousel. Don't muck around, get to that Q asap.

Grenoble isn't that big an airport so don't expect much in the way of souvenirs for SOs on your way back - buy in La Plagne. Its also about 40Km the wrong side of the city, which can be a little disappointing when you are driving for 1/2 an hour, and then you get to the town.

AFIK nearest hospital for special injuries is Chambery ( friend spent a considerable amount of insurance money going from Les Arcs - Chambery & back for hand repairs - beautiful job though of pins and all - obviously well practiced...) although BStM has general beds

But Hey! you aren't going to need them!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I was looking at easyjet but we all wanted to fly from Birmingham (3 of the group live there) so it would have to be BA. I wanted to just hop on the train at Rugby and not have to bother with driving to an airport and leaving the car at an extortionately-priced car park for the week!!!

I've checked otu a few europe-wide rental places and I can get a 7-set espace for half of what the tranfer would cost with a La Plagne-based company. Okay I'd have to pay fuel on top but I reckon we'd still save about £100 - £150.

Charlatanefc, I'll check out flight to Geneva. On a side note, i checked out your pics from your ski hols and it's definitely whet my whistle... I can't wait!!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Specialman wrote:
We're looking at flying to Lyon (unless there is a better option, Grenoble maybe?)

You could also look at flying to Geneva; about the same driving time as Lyon. Chambery airport is the closest, but not many airlines fly there.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar,
Quote:

You could also look at flying to Geneva; about the same driving time as Lyon

I didn't realise that Shocked I have always thought Lyon was closer/less drive time Laughing I shall have to re-cost my cheap flights v. driving calculations Toofy Grin
snow conditions
boredsurfin wrote:
rob@rar,
Quote:

You could also look at flying to Geneva; about the same driving time as Lyon

I didn't realise that Shocked I have always thought Lyon was closer/less drive time Laughing I shall have to re-cost my cheap flights v. driving calculations Toofy Grin

In my experience they are similar enough make no significant difference to travel time. Via Michelin says that the Geneva option is 4km longer, and about 15 minutes difference in travel time.

If there is no significant difference in price I prefer Geneva because hiring on the Swiss side means the car will always come with winter tyres and snow chains. This has not always been the case when I've hired from Lyon.
snow report
Consider flying to Chambery from Brummy http://www.flybe.com/en/destinations/Chambery.htm
Then you could go by train to Moutiers or Aime and a taxi or bus would get you up the hill to LP.
snow report
kuwait_ian, how easy is the connection at Chambery from the airport to the train station?
ski holidays
There are also several other choices from midlands to GVA - flybe and bmibaby? rob@rar, there are buses from Chambery airport to Chambery and Aix. Have not used them, but I think they are fairly frequent. But Chambery scores best for drivers - free car parking, a few metres from the door. Just don't expect any food other than a croissant - if they haven't sold out.
snow report
pam w wrote:
rob@rar, there are buses from Chambery airport to Chambery and Aix. Have not used them, but I think they are fairly frequent. But Chambery scores best for drivers - free car parking, a few metres from the door.

Tell me more about the free parking - If I had a season-long rental car would I be able to leave it at the airport without paying anything for parking when I was back in the UK?
ski holidays
rob@rar, Toofy Grin
I was thinking the same Toofy Grin
latest report
rob@rar, ......just might be your LUCKY day....! snowHead
snow report
rob@rar, If you could, it would be worth buying a cheapie & leaving it there! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
kuwait_ian, how easy is the connection at Chambery from the airport to the train station?

Some of our friends did that in March & it cost them 8euros by taxi.
ski holidays
I'm sure they will work out they can charge for parking at some point I am expecting that this year as it was too good to be true
latest report
Specialman, I worked season 05/06 in La Plagne as a ski host. It's a great place for beginners. It's not the (most happening place interms of nightlife but there are some great bars (PlanJa is a great dutch bar in Plagne Centre and La Mine in Plagne 1800).

It's a great confidence building resort and the area has a great feel of actually skiing to somewhere instead of just up and down a mountain. It has a few flat spots for boarders but on skis you will be fine. I love the ski area and think it's vastly underated.

For lunch you will get better grub at cheaper prices if you eat in one of the villages rather than on the mountain. Plagne Centre has La Grolle which is very reasonable and does an amazing omlette savoyarde. Avoid "Croc neige" as if your life depends on it (in my opinion very poor quality food at over inflated prices). La vega is also very reasonable. For some truely amazing grub in the evening try The grizzly in Plagne villages or the Refuge in plagne centre.

There is a massive a large brit populatoin in la plagne so language won't be a problem.

Oh on snowy days try some of the great runs through the trees down to Montalbert (less people head this way than to Montchavin/Les Coches)

Will you have a good time? You can bet your life you will.

Sorry to ramble on but this resort has a special place in my heart Blush
snow report
rob@rar, I don't know how long you could get away with it. The longest I have left a car there is 6 days when back in the UK for a visit. On that occasion I was switching on the ignition within five minutes of getting off the plane (no customs, immigration, parked 20 metres from the door...). AND it was raining cats and dogs. AND I knew it would be snow before I got up the mountain. Magic. I don't recall any signs about limitations on parking but yes, I suppose they could introduce charges at any time. However, the general area round Chambery airport is fairly low rent and I have thought once or twice that it would be a good place to find a local garage where you could leave a car, and telephone them to get it sorted for you, check battery, tyres, etc. and leave it at the airport for you. I have friends who do that near one of the Dordogne airports, and it costs them very little. You couldn't think of anything like that round Geneva Airport! However, the number of flights to Chambery is a bit limited and there is nothing much in the summer (when we also visit). So far I have decided that the most economical answer is to have one car and drive it back and forth.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy