Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Record snow depths

Poster: A snowHead
Massive snow depths are usually a result of drifting, which is familiar to Scottish skiers who often ski on snow over 10 metres deep in the corries.

This snow depth sign from Keweenaw County in Michigan graphically illustrates a record snow depth (390 inches - over 38ft (around 10 metres) in winter 1978-79, which looks to be non-drifted snow. Pretty remarkable when you take the compaction into account. Presumably at least double that depth has to fall to create the measured depth (does anyone know?)

BTW. Can anyone read the text on the sign next to the measurement post?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith, I think you may be mis-interpreting what you see. The sign says "Record High Snowfall" - the US resorts tend to boast about the total snowfall for the year, not the actual depth.
- Alta has around 500 inches a year, Winter Park, 365.

This would seem to confirm my suspicions:
http://www.keweenaw.info/conditions.aspx
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
390 inches of snow would be (very roughly) 39 inches of rain. That's be one hell of a lot if it fell in one go. Shocked
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good point, Fox, I took one look at that photo and thought "Wow, the snow was as high as that tree", which I suspect is what most people think when they see that sign.

The question then, as above, is what height 390 inches of accumulated snowfall would typically compact to?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I heard talk of an overnight dump of snow of 13ft!! I think it was in Chatel and witnessed by someone very famous.
I don't know if it's true though Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith, it depends on the type of snow. I'll see if I can be bothered to look up the stats and find out...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
According to Guinness World Records, this is the greatest snowfall recorded over a 12-month period, which must have presented some problems for local ski lift operators.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Found the answer!

"I have found that lake effect snow generally settles at a rate of about 6:1, meaning that over time, 6" of lake effect snow will settle to about 1"."

(Which is about Keweenaw snow)

This means 390" fallen is only about 65" base, i.e. 5' 5", or 1.65m
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith, Over 300 metres. Shocked

We've covered the Cascades before on here, imagine what it would have been like if the coastal range didn't exist!

New Kid On The Block, roughly 396mm rainfall equivalent or about 50mm an hour if over 8 hours. As rain, that bring bad flooding, so they were lucky it was snow!

(I think)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What is lake effect snow?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
John,
Hope this helps:
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/buf/lakeffect/lakeintro.html
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh, and here's a presentation on it...

http://www.comet.ucar.edu/class/smfaculty/byrd/
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Over on Winterhighland.com I recall reading that someone had used radar (or was it sonar !) to measure the depth below ski in Corrie Na Ciste, Cairngorm at the end of the classic 2001 season. Apparently the depth was 110 feet Shocked

The biggest single fall of snow recorded in the UK is shared by two places, neither of which are in Scotland. Upper Teesdale in the North Pennines and the Denbigh Moors both claim 60 inches (5 feet) of level snow fall in 1963.

Waist deep powder is possible then in England and Wales Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter S, the Ciste gully certainly is a snow trap. When the snow's filled it to form a natural halfpipe it's a really great run.

Regarding snow depths, it would be good to see one or two measurement poles around the Scottish hills so people can see how it's piling up. A 110 pole would be ridiculous, but one could maybe screw additional sections in place as the snow rises during the winter. I might post the suggestion on Winterhighland.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Record depth of snow on Hayling Island over the last few years is 30microns (Cumulative, that is)

Not sure if it was lake effect or sea effect.

Mind you it was very impressive Puzzled
snow report
Lake effect snow is absolutely horizontal, contains fish, and you can row a boat in it.
snow report
As opposed to snow effect lakes.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy