Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is surfing technique same as snowboarding? any tips?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm doing a surfing lesson for the first time in Devon this coming weekend.
I'm a snowboarder so will this help or hinder me? - I see Shawn white does it a lot so maybe it helps, is the stance the same? - and can you learn goofy? or do all surfers ride regular?, any tips before I go much appreciated.

gowd it's gonna be cold...

thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
buzz55, OK I am a boarder and would say that if you can evetually stand up in the dam surf baord you may be in with a chance. However getting up on 2 feet will be the challenge! have fun it is brilliant.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
buzz55, You'll have a slight advantage being a snowboarder you'll already have good balance, but I don't think they're altogether similar. I thought Shaun White was a skateboarder as well as a snowboarder, his Dad was a surfer and he didn't like it that much and took up boarding - I could be wrong tho'

As for the cold, my kids all surf/bodyboard and they tell me the water is at it's warmest at this time of year - enjoy!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Starting out on a surf board, everything is about the 'jump up'.

U bob about waiting for 'the' wave, spot it coming and paddle like hell. It rises up beneath u and u push forward to stay ahead of the crest. Suddenly, u (feel like u) are thundering down the front of this massive wall of water, on your belly and u need to decide whether to stay there and enjoy the ride or risk the jump up.

Heck, go for it! - the next 2 seconds are critical. U flick your knees up beneath u, your feet land on the deck - but where? Land on the centre line and you're in for a wikid ride but land off centre and u have a face full of briney before u can say 'deeeeeewd'!

Once u are up though, that's when the sense of shifting your weight fwd and back to turn may be of some, slight advantage Wink

Enjoy Cool
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

or do all surfers ride regular?

no, goofy if you're goofy. It won't be cold if you have a decent wetsuit. I'm a total wimp about the cold but will go body boarding in a wet suit at this time of year. I don't do the standing up style though, but my daughter does - goofy! You'll have a great time. I suspect snowboarding does help a bit, but surfing needs a whole lot of upper body strength not called upon in snowboarding (you spend most your time paddling around....)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
buzz55, if you've ever ridden a very stiff board like the Timeless in powder, you'll notice some similarities, but mostly, like they say, it's pretty different. Loads of fun though, and you'll be fine in a wetsuit, we've been in November before now! Have a great time Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Once you're up on the board, there is probably more in common than there is different. The freedom to move your feet is clearly the big difference, as you have more scope for adjusting your stance and weight distribution on the surfboard. As for which foot you lead with, just do what feels natural when you pop up.

When Laird Hamilton & other loonies started riding the really big waves, they used smaller boards with bindings on that are not a million miles away from snowboards. You have to get towed-in by a jetski on those of course! There is no way you could catch a really huge wave by paddling one of those. Still, you needn't worry about all that. As a beginner you will be on a big foam board the size of a pool table! Enjoy.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BTW where are you going buzz55? Croyde? Woolacombe? Or south Devon?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks for the comments, yes South Devon.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You should be okay, looks like there will be some swell this w/end. Looks like a stiff south breeze so the east-facing coast around Teignmouth & Torbay should do better than the area round toward Plymouth.

I remember my first time surfing: it was terrible, as flat as a pancake! We spent most of the lesson paddling along the coast sight-seeing. That was August tho, which is usually cr4p. You should be okay.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I surfed for 15 years before I started on the snow.

On a snow board its more weight forward than on a surfboard it is more balanced and at times leaning back and other times leaning forward. Me thinks you just need to work on getting up and staying up as that is the tough bit.

In general surfing is far more difficult than learning to board or ski, so just be mindful of that and be patient.

Good luck and enjoy chronic ice cream head!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
1st Post - yay

Everyone's pretty much covered it but I thought I'd reply as I 'board and surf, although I don't really surf anymore. I ride goofy as well on both I guess everyone does. The hardest thing you'll find is standing up although I'd expect you'll get this pretty quick if you're having a lesson, once you get the hang of this I'm not too sure how much else you'll do in a day. The main difference between surfing and snowboarding is to turn a surfboard you have more weight on your back foot and transfer it forwards to speed up, wether you'll progress to catching unbroken waves on your first day is doughtful though.

A few other things:

I found that surfing and snowboarding helped each other quite a bit in terms of balance.

Make sure you get a fairly big board to start, it'll make it a lot easier, this won't be a problem if you have an instructor.

If you can always stand up without using kness, if you want to carry on after it'll really help you progess as you need to to be able to get the speed to turn down the line.

It should still be pretty warm, the sea temperature lags about 2 months behind the land, I was in cornwall about 2 weeks ago and it was pretty warm still. You'll have a suit which will help.

Enjoy it!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As above- been surfing this summer in Newquay(fistral) and in Long Beach. I find both sports difficult and do not think i can get much better as the bones are not as strong as they were!

With a really good surf school you should be able to stand in an hour.

The 'winters' brothers accadamy at the Headland Hotel in Newquay( if you enjoy your first taste of surfing ) is probably the best around. They were World champ's.

Rip tides around south England can be absolutely lethal this time of year,so be careful to stay between the safe flags. best for begginers is not too far out on the last wave before it breaks.

Hope you have some real fun.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the tips, much appreciated... looking forward to the 2 hour beginner lesson.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

be careful to stay between the safe flags

There won't be any flags at this time off year, the season finished on the 1st weekend of October.
ski holidays
Swirly,
Quote:

There won't be any flags at this time off year, the season finished on the 1st weekend of October.

Sorry mate did not realise as ive been in CA surfing and skating for 2 weeks in September. went for a day trip to Big Bear and spent the day really P@@sed off cos there wasn't any snow as the season starts next week(ish). Not very good with my timing am i wink

Anyway, kiteboarding in Skegness next weekend....ooh the glamour....not.
snow conditions
so, buzz55, how was it?
latest report
paulm, I thought my in-box was a bit quiet Confused Normally by this time I've a handful of emails from Bear Mountain screaming about the 'snowbase' that's being laid down . . . not a promising start Confused
snow conditions
paulm, That's harsh hope the waves wre good though, I've never surfed outside Europe.
ski holidays
Masque,

Quote:

not a promising start

Will be ok in feb though when i go back Toofy Grin Didn't have a totally crap day as the skatepark was great and my lad really ripped it up. Little tyke Madeye-Smiley

Swirly,
Quote:

I've never surfed outside Europe.

First time for me as i usually kite board in the N.Sea. I was very lucky and got to see Jeff Ho's surf shack. ( z-boyz fame )
ski holidays
What happened to buzz55?? Did he drown?!

A mate went to Bigbury (S Devon) on Saturday, said it was good, altho he was windsurfing. Probably less good for "proper" surfing that day.
ski holidays
It was canceled, was supposed to be Sunday but the weather was terrible, forcast was 5-9ft waves (not ideal for beginners, was very choppy), oh well will wait now till next spring/summer.

buzz
ski holidays
buzz55, Tough luck there, you wouldn't have enjoyed that as a beginner, in fact if it was really messy noone would have enjoyed it Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy