Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do any snowboarders

Poster: A snowHead
Do any snowboarders, who are ex-skiers, ever feel tempted to try skiing again?

I occasionally fancy having a go just to see if I can still do it.

It would probably feel like being unfaithful though (not that I know about such things).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never - and without the risk of upsetting those who ski ( and i used to be an instructor ) i would never return to skiing as boarding has given me the reason to live.
I find that every time i go i learn something new and exiting but with skiing my world unfortunately got a bit mundane.

I would never put anyone off skiing as i think it is a great pastime but it is not for me anymore. I can only really explain my feelings to those that are free riding alongside me.

I also have a teenage son who is a great snowboarder and a brilliant skateboarder and i could not sell him skiing if it had bells on it. A bit of a cras statement i know but in his words "my dad used to ski" Peace.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ssnowman, Why not? After a long period of only boarding I have augmented my boarding first with blades and now with some 150 fun carvers. If I am with the kids, skiing friends or the conditions are icy I will probably ski. If conditions are good and I am by myself or with other boarders I will probably board.

One morning last April, I was going by myself so normally I would have taken my board but I had tweaked my ankle (boarding with hard boots even) and thought skiing would put less strain on it. I normally hate the early morning groomed ice in spring when I'm boarding but it was no problem with the skis.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ssnowman, I love skiing and I love snowboarding. Having skied for 20+ years I just can't tear myself away from it, despite getting more and more into boarding. I now carry skiing and boarding gear wherever I go and try to do 50/50 depending on conditions and who I'm with.

Can't ever see a day where I don't ski again (health and fitness apart), but as I get older I feel the board may have to make way - you see quite a few old guys on skis but hardly any on boards .....

Don't understand why some people think skiing is uncool though, there's nothing I can do on a board that I can't do on skis, I wear the same gear etc (typically 'boarding' gear) ... but I have to admit when I'm boarding I do feel 'cooler' ! Still, I'm a relative newbie to boarding (c 20 days on board) so willing to be convinced.

If I could only take skis or board on my next trip it would be board (but prob end up renting skis for a day !) ... yours, ever confused ....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ssnowman, I tried skiing for a day after boarding a while, and I couldn't get used to having both legs independent again.
I was in fear of twisting a knee.

I also realised I love the feeling of having comfy boots that I can walk normally in.

I think there's a feeling of simplicity just having a board to carry about - not skis and poles.

I probably won't go back to skiing now.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hi yeah i agree boarding and skiing with fat boys go well together just depends on the weather
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spent a week boarding for the first time this year. The conditions were excellent and I did fairly well. However, for the second week everyone else was skiing and I found that, although I had enjoyed the boarding, I wanted to get back on skis too. I might board again in the future but I prefer skiing.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
yes i ski but i'm totally crap!!!!

hoping to improve my skiing this year as we have a girls seasonairs day, wed afternoons, when we all don ski's (and half of us only normally snowboard!) its great fun!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did & its like crack - first its just a bit of fun to mix & match with your boarding, next thing you're buying tele rigs & lugging 3 set-ups on holiday with you. Don't do it kids wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I used to ski, badly, when I was at school. Never thought I'd try it again but last year my kit went missing for 2 1/2 days when the muppets at Manchester decided that the plane was too heavy with all this snowsports stuff and left it behind. (It wouldn't have been so bad if they had sent it on the next flight and hadn't charged us for ski and board luggage). Anyway, I got a set of skis for the day, for a laugh, and found that I was better now than I had ever been a school. I won't do it every year but now and again I might hire a set for a day..... Strange!!!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
season before last i probably skiied more than i got on a board which was pretty strange for me...... Id got to the point after 10 years odd on a board that i wasnt enjoying it like i used to, so i went and bought myself a pair of freestyle skis and gave myself a days lesson just for fun...... was in the park on day 3.......

then last season i spent only one day on skis, and the rest on the board, id started to appreciate it all over again and found the reason i loved it so much in the first place.........all down to just trying something different (and someone knicked my skis Evil or Very Mad )
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No, even though I probably wouldn't be boarding if I hadn't skied first. I used to ski a lot, 1 or 2 3 hour dry slope sessions every week and as much time on snow as possible from the age of 8-15, I was using 225cm skis when I was 12 and spent an afternoon with the Argentinian GS team. Of course this was before skis got short and fat. In the end I discovered surfing, got bored with the dry slope and my family couldn't afford to keep going on holidays so I stopped.

Then when I was in 6th form I got a job and a couple of mates decided they wanted to learn snowboarding they asked me as the lessons would be cheaper with three of us almost at once I enjoyed it more than skiing and we went off to Andorra. After that I did try skiing once more on the dry slope as free practice for boarding was only allowed on a Tuesday night and I was horriffied to find out how poor my technique had become instantly vowing never to bother again. Last year I almost hired skis to give it a final fling but decided that it would prevent my doing what I wanted to do.

I doubt I'll ever be as good a boarder as I was a skier, especially technically (I ca't get down some slopes on a board I wouldn't have though about on skis), but personally I get more out of boarding certainly on an enjoyment level and that's why we do what we do isn't it?

If you're a boarder who has never skied I'd say give it a go and vice-versa but it's not for me any more.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
That's my "quid", Swirly. I was also skiing for many years and snowboarding since 3 seasons, I love much more snowboard than ski...no dubts. This winter I'll travel with some friends (all skiing) and one of they, may give an opportunity to the board (I'll try to teach him a little bit) and I'd have the chance to use their skis as well...my worries're about which will be my feeling, lost skills?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd like to learn to ski to allow me to access more off piste, ie uphill with skins. Until I learn I guess it's snowshoes for me.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes last season some friends persuaded me to don skis for a day as they all skied. Must admit that after the third run I was missing my baord and by the first coffee stop I was seriously considering going back and changing!

I do like the fact that I can choose depending on conditions. I am a converted boarder but with a little one on the way know the value of being able to ski competently with junior when they start. Alhtough they will be a boarder as dad only boards!! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
ive been boarding for 6 seasons now and i love it. its my over riding passion. once one trip is over is counting the days and months till the next trip, even if its a season away.

ive never skiied before and earlier this year was away with a mixed group of skiers and boarders. as usualy the ski v board banter was flying about and i was saying to the skiiers that it looked easy! well one day at lunch someone called my bluff and challenged me to have a go on skis. i was on them for about an hour and loved it and would seriously consider spending a week on them if the conditions were icy. but as soon as the snow falls id be straight back on the board and hunting for powder. id love to be able to have the option of both and decide depending on the conditions. the board will always be first choice though if it come to making a decision between the two.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy