Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bansko: The Val d'Isere of the future?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:
A tad cheeky to have only posted on the place that he has a commercial interest in promoting, but no big deal in my opinion.

In my defence it's the ONLY place I know something about !!

Quote:

There might well be people wanting to go to Bansko (wierd, but possible)

Who's being cheeky now !! Very Happy

I do see both your points.

I am off to Bansko tomorrow to get ready for the ski season. If for any reason (can't think of one but you never know) I didn't think it was suitable I would not send people over there. This is similar to Brian's comment.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bansko wrote:
bh1 - After this thread I have no more to add. So I will just look back at the forum from time to time.

No resolution needed as I don't think I will be posting on other subjects. To be honest I don't know enough to do such a thing.

I would like to add, not to you personally bh1, if this is the treatment that new members get after posting a newspaper article, why would people want to be part of this forum?

Just a question Shocked

Your comments here are a bit puzzling, if you know nothing about any other subject than Bankso how can you expect us to view you with anything other than cynicism. Have you never even skied/snowboarded before or been to another resort? Are you one of these investors who has bought sight unseen in Bankso with no experience of skiing? Talk us through the buying process & the pros and cons you weighed up if necessary.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fatbob - I will not be talking about my buying process with you nor anyone else. This is my personal business.

I will not post in other threads if I do not know enough about the subject. Some people should follow my lead.

I know about Bansko. I am off there tomorrow.

To be honest if you don't like the thread tell someone that will do something about it.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bansko, at the end of the day your first posts were spam, and were treated as such. That's why you received a frosty welcome.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I repeat:

bansko wrote:

To be honest if you don't like the thread tell someone that will do something about it.

I think we are going over the same ground.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Im not really going to comment too much about the article "Val D'Isere" of the future, excepting to say that the prices quoted for Lift passes etc are a little on the hefty side!

Last year a 6 day lift pass in Bansko was 145 Euros equating to around the £100 mark not £128
The ski school we sent our clients to was £60 for 6 days (4 hours per day) and yes they are fully qualified instructors.
Ski hire was £45 for the 6 days and snowboard and boots was £45 for 6 days.

This years lift pass prices have not yet been released, but the ski hire and tuition will stay the same as last year from the people we use.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Glynis wrote:
Last year a 6 day lift pass in Bansko was 145 Euros equating to around the £100 mark not £128
The ski school we sent our clients to was £60 for 6 days (4 hours per day) and yes they are fully qualified instructors.
Ski hire was £45 for the 6 days and snowboard and boots was £45 for 6 days.

Hello Glynis - the instruction and ski hire prices are much closer to what I'd expected Very Happy

The lift still seems expensive - though I suppose if you buy new lift equipment you have to buy it from the same places as the rest of Europe.

Those boot hire prices aren't a mistype are they? Or am I just getting old. I remember when boots were thrupppence a month, etc...

Sorry, I had to lol at:
Glynis wrote:
...and yes they are fully qualified instructors.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Seen this and the Sandy thread grow over the last few days and I can see similarities. But I am concerned about how we treat new people these days ..... We are woefully short of people on the ground in snowy places and let's face it most people "over there" will have some vested interest in being there. I know that many have seen it all before with spam etc and that Admin / mods have a job to do, but it's going to be snowing soon can we all please lighten-up (sp?) a bit. Confused

Ducks back below the parapet. snowHead

PS My secretarys off this week so I see the real spam we get ..... and it's frightening!!!!! Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stevew, I feel the same way.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stevew, fairpoint.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
'Bansko' has explicitly stated that he does not intend to comment on anything other than bansko which is about as blatant as it gets. The impression is that he probably knows very little about skiing etc, and that he's just in it for the money.

Internet forums generally are for exchanging ideas and thoughts and the good ones are about community spirit, not for only shamelessly promoting something in which you obviously have a vested interest.

Personally, I hope he gets on one of his Bulgarian donkey-drawn carriages and rides into the Bansko sunset forever - I just hope the electricity has been connected Cool
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If I read the forum index correctly it says "resorts". I know about Bansko, so my postings will be about.....guess what skibomb "Bansko".

I would not claim to know about another ski resort if I have never been there. Unlike some !!

Do you know that Bansko has got cars as well !

Electricity and donkeys in deed....heehaw Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Actually I don't think that is true stevew. I've just read a very nice first post from someone called Headplant who got a very warm welcome from lots of snowHead 's. And he's not the only one I've seen welcomed.

bansko, out of curiosity do you ski/board? It would be nice to hear about your interest in the sport.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bansko, good luck to you. And well done for showing restraint in the light of some absurd and offensive comments. Having been around here from about day 2 of snowHeads I find the level of tolerance from some contributors getting worse and worse and the place becoming less and less welcoming as a result.

It would be a shame if you weren't able to make contributions, especially being on the spot so to speak.

Have a good season and perhaps we can look forward to some reports as the season develops.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Geetee - I am a poor skier but hopefully going to improve this season. Forget snowboarding, I was never good at skateboarding as a kid though !!

Thank you Mark I appreciate your comments. Have a good season yourself, enjoy !!

I am off now, fly tomorrow. Bansko here I come........ snowHead
latest report
bansko, Well good luck and have a great season in Bansko. Your skiing will certainly improve if you're there for several months!
snow report
bansko, Your restraint is indeed admirable, whatever its motivation. It would be interesting to hear impartial reports of this supposed hot spot and, possibly even more, of your progress in learning to ski. Have fun snowHead
ski holidays
he's taking the mikey out of andorra now,i bet he says the birds are scroungers next,he's making it up
snow report
This was a relatively interesting thread until the spam debate broke out. I do think people need to chill out a bit about it. Although Bansko says he's only intending to post about Bansko because that's all he knows about, who's to say that's all it would have turned out to be? Maybe he is underestimating the addictive nature of the place and the fact that knowing nothing about anything is the best qualification for posting in the apres zone wink Ragging on him like this for what was really quite an inoffensive post means we have lost a possibly knowledgable and certainly very good natured poster

This place used to call itself the friendliest forum on the web. Now it seems that every new poster gets their intentions questioned. This is probably more offputting than a JONGing session on TGR - at least with that you know you're not getting special treatment
latest report
Arno,
Quote:

the fact that knowing nothing about anything is the best qualification for posting in the apres zone

and I find that comment quite offensive as well wink
snow conditions
You know guys.. this place has changed... It's a real shame Sad
ski holidays
Oisin Osh Kelly, you're right. It's become a lot harder to manage, there's far more bickering between people about discussions that they weren't involved in, old business is raked up time and time again, and the Piste Patrol is, seemingly, constantly defending their actions.
latest report
brian wrote:
Are we not getting a bit carried away with the spaminating here ?

Picking a random pimp, would ben wright have stuck around for 1000+ posts if he'd got the same kind of welcome following this opener ?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=44873&highlight=#44873

Hopefully I wouldn't have received such a reception as I was responding to another user's thread asking for info. on the area rather than initiating a discussion on the Val d'Allos.
snow conditions
I've tried to give people the benefit of the doubt and appreciate when they've fought their corner well but someone posting a provocative thread title like this with even a fully disclosed financial interest must expect a bit of stick. It would be nice if everyone could be warm and cuddly but it needs a bit of give & take on all sides, there are plenty who stumble on message boards thinking "this is a good place for some viral marketing" without ever wishing to be an active part of the community.

Unfortunately I suspect this is an issue we will hear repeatedly as snowheads becomes more widely known - it only takes one mention in a newspaper for a whole new bunch of would-be spammers/valuable new members to appear. Inevitably different forum members will have different spam antennae and ability to bite their lips - its a fundamental rule of the internet that any forum will go through periods of bickering, insults, lawsuits, personal threats, dummy spitting, toy ejection etc etc. I'm sure Bansko will have taken home some useful points from this about people's perceptions of his resort & hopefully not taken things too personally.

For my part I'll try to restrain myself from biting in future & trust the mods to call appropriately.

Personally I blame PST....

That's Pre season tension - too long off the snow makes me tetchy wink
ski holidays
Another ski map here (click to enlarge). Looks like about one or two day's worth, unless they open it up a bit more.
snow conditions
bansko, as complete novice and not someone who'd too bothered about going to somewhere famous to sound 'cool', i think the Observer article was intriguing and the fact that you're website link is in your signature is just you being pro-active for your interests (I take it you are part of the website?). If we're getting arsey about promoting ourselves, then maybe I should be removing my myspace link from my signature?? Very Happy

I'm on the hunt for a decent place to start my foray into snowsports and if you check out my other posts, you'll see I've been on about la Plagne, simply because my mate went there and suggested I go with him in Jan. I'm seriously going to mention to him and our respective other halves that Bansko might be a suitable alternative. Plus, it's at the right price and for my first snow holiday, I'm sure it will be a great resort. Not everyone can afford to spend vassts amounts when they don't even know if they'll like boarding!

It seems there's a bit of snobbery about where you go to board or ski - hey, I'm a tight Yorkshireman so as long as it's cheap then I'm cool. If it's a crap holiday then I'll learn by my mistakes and choose to go somewhere else next time!!! At the end of the day, I have no previous experience of snowsports other than having a snowball fight at school!!! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
I know a bloke who bought last year in Bansko after skiing there for his 2nd ever week. His 1st week was in Killington and he reckoned Bansko was the mutts nuts.

Some folks do get a bit carried away.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Some folks do get a bit carried away.

Ahem, 10008 posts Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FenlandSkier, You'll be getting carried away in a minute mate

wink
latest report
The question is; if bankso is the new soldeu, is zakapone the new bansko and therefore triglav the new matterhorn?

www.killiansnicenewapartmentforrentintriglav.com
snow report
killian, 404 on your URL mate. wink
snow report
Anyone seen their promo DVD?

It's quite good and makes the place look like a contender, funnily enough they mentioned no negatives in it at all!
latest report
roga, is that the one that was in the DMS&S magazine?
snow report
hyweljenkins wrote:
roga, is that the one that was in the DMS&S magazine?

Yup, that's the one and in my defense I didn't buy DMS&S, I got it free at the ski show... actually, apart from brief use of the show guide, the Bankso DVD was pretty much the best thing about the magazine, lol!
snow conditions
Specialman wrote:
It seems there's a bit of snobbery about where you go to board or ski - hey, I'm a tight Yorkshireman so as long as it's cheap then I'm cool.

To disagree Specialman, I think there's remarkably little snobbery on this forum about where you go to board or ski.

What (rightly) isn't well tolerated here is the overselling of specific resorts though blanket statements like "xxx the best snow in the Alps", "yyy is the cheapest place you can ski" and "zzz is suitable for everyone".

There's nothing wrong with cheap. I like cheap. Most of my ski planning goes into making my skiing as cheap as possible. It allows me to do more the stuff I like doing.

But if someone says or implies that Bankso is necessarily the cheapest way to go skiing then I'm going to have to disagree - because it's not true. It's at the cheaper end of the scale, yes, but isn't necessarily the cheapest.

And is it "as good as Val d'Isere"? If you're a beginner then probably. Almost certainly better. If you're an intermediate skier / boarder who can clock up miles. Then no. Not yet.

Is it possible that any small(ish) resort could grow to be as good / bigger than an established resort? Yes. Is it a reason to go there when it's small? Only if it's suitable for you.

That's not snobbery in my book, it's just common sense.
ski holidays
Specialman, if you're looking for a good-value starting point, try Livigno. I went there a few years ago as a reasonably good skier and really enjoyed it. The variety of skiing isn't great, but I'm just happy to be on the slopes. I can also vouch for their trauma centre, but that's not for you to worry about!

The transfer from Bergamo is listed as five hours, but it's a pleasant drive and it passes in no time.
ski holidays
Specialman,
I would echo a fair bit of what PhillipStanton, says. Bansko may well be a great place for you to start skiing/boarding does not mean it is great for everone though.

A couple of thoughts though. If you want to get the cheapest deal you can and are going in Jan you are better off booking at the last minute for just about anywhere as the prices usually come down. It has the added advantage that if it is a bad snow year you can choose an area with reasonable snow.

A friend of mine went to Bansko with his girlfriend last year as a beginner they thought the area was great the one major caveat he had and his girlfriend had more so was that they found a lot of the locals unfriendly towards tourists. He is fairly well travelled himself and used to Eastern Europe and a friendly person himself so Ibelieved him. He said that he was told that other places in Bulgaria are much friendlier and that the situation would probably improve.
ski holidays
Sorry for reviving this parrot but I've just watched the DVD. Its very amusing in a Borat style with narratives like (sorry not verbatim):

" At end of day make visit to Happy End for revival"

"Meet international celebrities including the Weather Girls"

Unfortunately no mention of sexytime or No 4 prostitute in all Bulgaria.

On a serious point is the heli skiing a real possibility or just marketing schtick?
snow conditions
I do not understand the agression showed (if it is agression) to bansko,. He may well have a vested interest. So what. I do not believe there are too many unintelligent snowHead 's around here. If we feel we are getting too much of a sales spiel, do we believe the used car salesman or do we look at it in a dispassionate view. For me I am turned off by overt advertising but that is just me.

As I said on another topic, I felt bullied when I posted a piece about IMO there is only one resort in France that could match Austria and Italy on the apres ski side. A former contributor congratulated me for acknowledging it was the resort in which he has an interest. I thought what a plonker, but did not say it. It is not my place to do so. For the record the resort that I was thinking about was Val D'Isere. I do not have an interest Val (as I do in another place) but I love the place.

One thing that has dissapointed me with something bansko, said is that he would not let us know how and why he bought his property, this is something that a ski forum website IS interested in. Perhaps you could help others that have not bought yet and are interested. I do not have a problem in letting others know the pitfalls and advantages of owning in the mountains. So be open and help us all understand, I am sure that if you continue to contribute you will be a valued member here and possibly your business interest will benefit.

Do not run away, contribute and you will not be held up to ridicule.

You have had a warm welcome to snowHead 's . Here is mine WELCOME TO snowHead's
snow conditions
here here to roy hockley, could not have put it better myself,have followed this thread,at times total disbelief,
mine is a warm welcome also.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy