Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bansko: The Val d'Isere of the future?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, I am back.

Got my apartment ready for the season and should be back over there again sometime next month to enjoy it.

When I was in Bansko the temperture was 24 degrees, I totally packed the wrong clothes. The locals said they were having a "gypsy sumer" at the end of October.

Now that I am back, the first snow has fallen !!

Most resorts in Bulgaria have had some and Bansko is expecting more this weekend.

Thanks for the kind comments towards the end of this thread, they are much appreciated. I have not been frightened away, I was just taking a well earned break !

Cheers Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've skied in Bansko a couple of times. Small place campared with some westen resorts but the skiing and the lift sytem are great (although I prefer the bigger and closer resorts in the west). I've also heard that there is a lot planned for the future ie linking a couple of valleys with a cable car etc etc. We'll just wait and see but if it's correct and not hype it'll be a great spot and many investers will laugh at the people that slate it. If they build the airport there as I've heard is planned there will be a lot a debate as to weather its a good or bad thing but sure better than the sodding 4 hour transfer from hell from Sofia.

All resorts start small but they start somewhere. Only thing about Bansko is I hope they learn from mistakes made ie not logging the pistes to stop erosion.

Good on ya if for buying property out there if thats ya thing personally I don't care where I ski. As long as it's on snow!!!!

Welcome back.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bansko, Glad you didn't do a runner. Keep us informed as to your seasons progress Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys.

You comments are appreciated.

I am glad to say the transfer from Sofia to Bansko is now about 2 1/2 hours, more of the road has been built !!
Your are right with what you have heard kiwi1, Dobrinishte and Razlog (neighbouring areas) have now been given permission to open up their own ski areas and the rumour is they will all merge. This will really open up Bansko's piste area.
Only time will tell. Puzzled

Thanks again for the above comments and I will be posting again soon.

Cheers Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Folks,
Having read through this thread I think that Bansko has gotten alot of unfiar stick for his post. I was recently talking to a Bulgarian workmate about buying skiing property - I would like to state that I do not own any ski property - and he mentioned Bansko as a place to look at for property.
To date I have found Snowheads very useful for getting peoples opinions on Ischgl - my destination for next February - and I have tried to give unbiased opinions on resorts I have been to, to other people. But after talking to my workmate I started looking into property in Bansko - and while browsing Snowheads came across Bansko's thread. Initially I thought that it was useful, but then it turned into somthing of a slagging match.
As there are a couple of people on Snowheads that have ski property, perhaps it would be useful to have a section about buying ski property - for members only - not for companies i.e. suggest resorts to buy in, what to expect to pay, location of property and information about the resort. I think that the people on this board are extremely helpful when advice is requested about resorts - perhaps the same would happen with a section for buying property in a ski resort.

Perhaps this request will not be taken well - I understand that Snowheads is mainly a site for skiiers to discuss resorts, but there seems to be so many sites available on the web and it's difficult to filter the "crap" Very Happy

Killeagh.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Welocome back Bansko - hope you can be a regular reporter from the Pirins.

Killeagh, There's a lot of other history re forum spamming that has been going on from people with property in other resorts and Bansko, the person, may just have been unfortunate to stumble in with some spam-like posts at exactly the wrong time.

My own take is that Bansko might be a valid option for beginners, budget skiers & cruisers but there's no-one who I personally respect as an experienced skier or boarder who has been there & endorsed it (discounting Klammer, Tomba etc who were clearly paid decent fees to go there & appear in publicity videos etc). I also can't open a broadsheet property supplement without someone hyping it so that tends to get my back up, I felt the same way about Humber Valley in Newfoundland which also has been oversold IMO.

Still good luck to those that choose to make it their ski location of choice. Its about smiles on faces at the end of the day - not just cold hard cash
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Anyone actually been to Bansko that could report on their experience of the whole resort, Skiing/ammenities etc.?

I don't like raisins but I have tasted them so I can comment.

Thanks

Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry guys, stopped at page 1 for some reason... i should learn to read...

Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stankane, no probs - and welcome to snowHeads! snowHead I'm sure you'll find all the information you need on this thread Shocked Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
This will only be my 4th ski season (1-2 weeks a year max.) so I am no expert skier (as yet!). However, I just wanted to add my 2 pence worth to this thread. I learnt to ski in Bansko and have been going back there every year since. I would agree with the Observor writer's comments that with only 65km of pisted runs you can ski all these runs in a day and that with only one black run and a few red runs, perhaps it isn't the best resort for expert skiers who are wanting miles and miles of difficult black runs and off-piste terrain. However, in my opinion, Bansko has always had excellent snow conditions whenever I have gone (January) and if you speak with the locals they will point you in the right direction for some awesome off-piste skiing. What's more is, although there is only 65km of runs, there is something for everyone if they want to perfect their technique whether that be steeps, moguls, powder, jumps, cruising etc. and will keep them very busy.

I would also agree that if Bansko has plans to become the next Val D'Isere then they have a lot of work to do in the way of extending and expanding their runs onto the neighbouring mountains of which there is loads of potential and something that I am really hoping will happen sooner rather than later as some of the peaks would challenge even the most expert of skiers/boards. As for their lift systems and snow making facilities, it is second to none - honestly!!
Most foreign skiers/boarders that I speak to when in Bansko also find the laid back, friendly and easy going atmosphere amoungst the locals and on the slopes a major plus for them and is also why they return year after year. It also helps that the food and drink is so cheap.

For me, I have no doubt that I will carry on enjoying my annual weeks skiing in Bansko and a further week in one of the other western alp resorts. No, I don't own property in Bansko.

posters about the fact. Although there are obviously much bigger and grander ski resorts in Europe, USA etc
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
"posters about the fact. Although there are obviously much bigger and grander ski resorts in Europe, USA etc"

Apologies, that was missed in the editing of the post.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cathy - Thanks for the welcome.

I am normally a quiet forum user.

I purposely searched for Bansko. I have booked a holiday to Bansko for a group of 6 of us, early intermediates and a couple of scared beginners.

I chose the resort solely on the promotional DVD (lol... only joking.. someone previously mentioned 'Borat' - exactly!). I decided on this resort due to price - around £500 quid for 4 star HB with flights, transfers, lift pass, ski hire, ski school, single supplement everything inclusive. Normally i expect to pay around £600 just for flights, transfers and 4 star HB (andorra, italy)

I read this thread hoping to get some real insight and info from people who have actually chosen the resort to go skiing and was looking forward
to their valuable comments (whether good or bad) but am a little dissapointed that like a lot of forums this one is just littered with people posting unnecessary comments dragging out an issue that the forum administrators should/could have resolved within the first couple of threads - but for whatever reason they chose not to.

Perhaps I should start a new thread asking for anyone's experiences good or bad in Bansko.

thanks in advance.

wink

Stan
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Welcome back bansko.

kiwi1, Hornster and stankane - I'm glad you've all enjoyed your trips there.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PhillipStanton - I haven't been yet but am looking forward to it. Can't get that film 'Hostel' out of my head don't know why, I think it may have something to do with the Bansko Promo DVD.

I am going in early March, fingers crossed for the snow conditions.

Stan
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Hornster
Thanks for the review on Bansko - it was what I was expecting when I initially started to read this thread. You mentioned that you have gone 1 - 2 weeks max per year for the last three years - (I take it that you spend 1 week in Bankso and 1 week somewhere else?) and where else apart from Bansko have you been and how do they compare to Bankso. It would be great to find someone who has been to Bankso aswell as one, or more of the resorts I have been to recently (Cervinia, Livigno and Andorra).

Many Thanks,

Killeagh
ski holidays
bump
Anything changed in 5 years? wink
snow conditions
Killeagh, My in-laws own an apt in Bansko, I spent approx 5 weeks there in total over 3/4 seasons ago. I have also skied extensively in Italy and the 3 Valleys.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy