Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

European (Italian) winter a month behind?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We nipped up to Champoluc at the weekend and amongst the usual moaning from the locals about the direction that the (under) development company is taking were a few comments to the effect that the weather is about a month late this year.

Given the date, I was a little surprised to be wandering around at 1,700m in a t-shirt.

Any thoughts? (Yes, I realise that things can change very quickly...)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm, it was very warm in L2A last October I seem to remember. Certainly hot in Grenoble, and in Monetier when we went over to check the building. And we sat outside the Lutins in T-shirts too.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helen Beaumont, and we then had a very patchy season in many places (Monterosa most of the time, Killy at Xmas, etc. Although oddly, Chamonix was just amazing all season Twisted Evil )

It is 23C on my balcomy as we type. Hey ho, who knows?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Hmm, it was very warm in L2A last October I seem to remember. Certainly hot in Grenoble, and in Monetier when we went over to check the building. And we sat outside the Lutins in T-shirts too.

The main difference with last October and this was snow at the start of the month down to 1800m. However last year winter arrived in the French Alps on the last weekend of November. I've just read that October is +4C above long term trend this year in the Isère. I had lunch by the lac d'Annecy today and we had to have the parasol up it was so hot - 24C. Not unusual for October but warm never the less. The warm and hot weather is due to continue until the start of November with glorius sunshine forecast from Wednesday.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Murdoch wrote:
Helen Beaumont, and we then had a very patchy season in many places (Monterosa most of the time, Killy at Xmas, etc. Although oddly, Chamonix was just amazing all season Twisted Evil )

Do I detect some La Ros style hype? wink Chamonix was certainly very warm the week before the Kadahar WC(cancelled) when the Foehn ripped though and temps were 15 deg C in town. However the preceding couple of days I was there were excellent.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 22-10-06 22:16; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob wrote:
David Murdoch wrote:

Do I detect some La Ros style hype? wink Chamonix was certainly very warm the week before the Kadahar WC(cancelled) when the Foehn ripped though and temps were 15 deg C in town.

and wasn't the resort closed for 6 days on and off during March due to poor weather and Grands only opened sometime in late January? So it does seem like Cham is the new La Ros.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The forecasts all have it getting even warmer forthis next week
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman, better bring the shorts an t-shirts next week then . OF course, Serre Chevalier had an excellent season last year. wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof, Meteo Suisse report that the average for (Geneva I think, possibly the country) has been +3C above "normal" and no sign of the Indian summer abating before month end.

fatbob, hype? Qui? Moi? You must be mistaking me for the pretentious one. Of course CHX is the new La Ros, hadn't you heard dahling? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Doesn't look like conditions will be vastly different from the PSB compared to last year - shame...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Murdoch wrote:
davidof, Meteo Suisse report that the average for (Geneva I think, possibly the country) has been +3C above "normal" and no sign of the Indian summer abating before month end.

It might have been +3C that I heard for the Isère and +4C for Paris rather than what I said which would correspond to the Meteo Swiss figures. I was only half listening to the weather forecaster's blether.

Anyway it meant I got my hedge cut and lawn mowed before the cold weather.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Without wishing to perpetuate outdated national stereotypes, the Italians have a reputation for being pretty relaxed about time keeping. This may account for the late arrival of winter.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
All you need know is here (not that image will change). The low pressures in the Atlantic & Biscay etc. are bringing warm air up from S/SW and thus keeping things warm. Now, as to *why* these low pressures are doing this, is because the Italians have a reputation for being pretty relaxed about tim....etc.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy