Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tecnica - "Race 130" vs. Icon Alu Comp (tweaked)

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry, this is a really dull question - but I am curious. It's also aimed squarely at one FISH feeder.

I found a pair of Tecnica Race 130s in a small shop in Aoste at the weekend in my size and at a 50% discount. Tempted? I'll say I was.

So I tried them on - and found them feeling much softer than my (humanly fallible) recollection of how stiff my current Icons (with Conformable Liners) are - although the Race 130s did seem to have a more progressive flex (all measured subjectively at 21 C in the shop).

So - which are "stiffer" - and - should I nip back in or just get the SZK to make my Icons comfy enough for another season and wait till he opens his gaff again to try the Garmont Endorphines? (Against the background that although I really want to try some racing, I have a feeling it won't happen this season...so no excuse for that particular dimension of kit spend)

Choices, choices...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Murdoch, Try some real race boots.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rjs, such as?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Murdoch, Something like the Nordica Dobermann WC 150 or Atomic Race Tec Ti 150, just to get a feel for how stiff they are.

My Dobermanns don't flex at all, even at room temperatures.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs, you see, 2 years ago it was tres dificile to find a 150 flex. The shop in question had the Lange 150s and SWMBO likes her boots like her men, stiff and hard. Sadly she also doesn't like them in powder blue - which Lange seem to have adopted this year. Randonnee kit for her Xmas I reckon then.

I shall have a look. I don't generally like Nordicas (haven't for, err, 18 years) but always interested. I'm not convinced I need a race flex boot but always seem to find myself longing for one when I crank things up a little. And the idea of getting (back) into a little recreational racing was going to be the excuse. Oh well.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch, I got my boots in 2000, that was when the big change in availability of race boots to the general public happened.

The Rossignol version of the Lange 150 is orange.

If you are going to be in Chamonix, there will be FIS masters races this season in Courmayeur and Avoriaz. You need a licence for them though (£50).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjs, I wonder if I can recycle my old freestyle licence wink I saw the Avoriaz one last year or at least posters for it - I shall investigate, thanks.

But on "150" vs "130" - I'm pretty sure that in 2002 130 was as "stiff" as you could get - even then she had to order specially. BUt then, I have spent the last few years unsuccessfully trying to convince myself that I don't ski often or hard enough to warrant anything v. rigid.

I am glad someone has entered into this thread though! Cheers!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Murdoch, (off topic)...
There's a rumour that a certain FISHerman will soon be reeling in a pair of Icon Alu Comps in 28.5 which have been customised a little. If you need spares, you might want to speak to him in mid november... Wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Murdoch wrote:
rjs, I wonder if I can recycle my old freestyle licence wink I saw the Avoriaz one last year or at least posters for it - I shall investigate, thanks.

There isn't any real requirement to have a race record before getting a Masters licence. There is a hope that people wouldn't be embarrasingly bad though.

The form is here. More info on the British Masters website.

If you want to know anything else ask. I will be doing the Avoriaz and Courmayeur races.

Quote:

But on "150" vs "130" - I'm pretty sure that in 2002 130 was as "stiff" as you could get - even then she had to order specially. BUt then, I have spent the last few years unsuccessfully trying to convince myself that I don't ski often or hard enough to warrant anything v. rigid.

Mine were bought from Precision. I could also have tried the Lange RL1 and Salomon Course X2. Lockwoods were selling the Dobermann and I also saw them for sale in Engelberg. I don't ski much in Chamonix, but I would expect that Footworks had them too.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David - Can't say I can comment with true authority on either of these boots any longer. However I woudl make a couple of points:

1. As you have already said you were in the shop so the plastic would feel softer.
2. If you have a conformable foam liner in your Icons then this will have a tendency to stiffen the flex of the boot anyway
3. I've never placed a great deal of emphasis on manufaturer flex ratings. They always seem to change from manufaturer to manufacturer, I don't think there is any industry wide accepted flex index and even if there were the flex of different boots will vary- as you say some are more progressive than others. To this end the best thing to do is compare them in the same environment/temperature. You might remember that 5or 6 years ago Salomon did a Salomon Course and a Salomon Course X-scream (supposedly different flex ratings) but exactly the same boot just in a different colour. There may be some impact on flex caused by different colour pigment but I defy anyone to tell the difference.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dme, Hi,

1. Yep. Although I will have been comparing vs late spring skiing so ambient air ~15C moderated by 0C or so for snow contact.
2. Yes, it did, which is a good thing.
3. I agree - although I understand things are sharpening up. I was just rather surprised that a pair of boots that the MFR has as their stiffest easily available model didn't feel significantly stiffer than the ones I'm using (whcih IIRC are supposed to be quite a bit softer). Just goes to show, or not.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dme, Actually pigmentation difference can be huge, a few years back we made the Salomon X2 in translucent red and abandoned it real quick as it totally f$cked up the flex pattern.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
LARGEZOOKEEPER, They worked great for me!
David Murdoch, Stop by wiv ya boots next time you're in town, around 10th November i would hope to have the most part for you to look at/try. see ya soon? wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LARGEZOOKEEPER, I don't mind the flex of the translucent but as you know LZK I don't like to see the sweat swilling around in the bottom of the boot.......Damp goretex is a comepletly different matter though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
dme, Oi you up for a beer this week? I'm here 'til Friday? You get the Rodster out? I can get over to you guys for a plate of green.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, That's only because you're a wuss Cool
ski holidays
LARGEZOOKEEPER, Wasn't me whom cut the guts out of 'em. Cool
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, what with family and friends visiting I think although I'll be in town every weekend for the next few weeks, the earliest opportunity to go do boot fund stuff will be weekend 25 Nov. I hope you won't be too busy then?

How'd the boot fitting day go BTW?
ski holidays
David Murdoch, The date suggested sounds perfect, we dropped the Tecnica W/C boot as it it is the furthest from this genre of boot. That said i do like them but offers us nothing that isn't done or looks better by someone else.

Boot Clinic, i think went well, everyone was surprisingly patient and good natured and it seems i might have pulled! In reality we wont really know until people have skied for a while and the liners start to pack, by which time i'll be living on an island with the AXLETTS. Toofy Grin
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, True, I plead guilty m'lud Embarassed
latest report
LARGEZOOKEEPER, Missed you yesturday, how's everything going?
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, The ship is sinking normally ! Another new contract in the poche and Tinyzookeeper is very happy about not going to Solden. To top it all we've won our last two games and we still have several keepers(not zoo I hasten to add) Bisous
snow conditions
LARGEZOOKEEPER, Laughing My regards to TZK Laughing
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER, (and LARGEZOOKEEPER, ) I hate to disturb your intimate threading but there you go.

SMALLZOOKEEPER, frankly, all I care about is colour. Do you do orange? Do I need new boots? Will I LIKE the Endorphines? Will I do enough rando this year to justify? Will Sophie? How about the new Mammut suits? Navy Blue and Orange, Yumm! Is that you cited on the opening pages of the Cham3S catalogue? Such a nice start to the Autumn that (not you, the catalogue).

Well done on the Klinik (and CEM and Lockwoods too). I thought 'twas a great idea.
ski holidays
David Murdoch, Colour is ALL that matters
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I'm around tonight but thats all. Out tomorrow, having a plate of green somewhere else as it happens and Friday your back to Cham. Looking difficult this week unfortunately mate. Will be out in Cham over the course of the winter though so will catch up in the next six months with both you and the Large one. In respect of TZK is Tzk the young fella who used to go yumping with the sofa cushions strapped to his back?
snow report
dme, The youngster in question is my son and should now be known as MEDIUMZOOKEEPER, TZK worked with us both a while ago and now works with me
ski holidays
LARGEZOOKEEPER, Well that seems fair enough afterall the last time I saw the young lad he looked fit to be a medium zookeeper - In fact are you sure that you should not be the medium zookeeper and he can assume his place as the large zookeeper.

As for Tiny how is the tiny zookeeper and what are your/his plans for this season?

If large and Tiny are now working together again it sounds like the A-team have reformed - excellent news but where are you based I'll be out in April with all the wedding photos to bore you with......
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy