Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whistler advice

Poster: A snowHead
I was wondering if any budget minded snowHeads have been to Whistler? If so any suggestions on accomodation, packages and the like much appreciated. Desired dates are around Christmas for 10 days but I'm fairly flexible as to when we depart.

Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
saxabar, we went with a budget in mind, and ended up blowing it big-style, so I can't be much help I'm afraid. I found things quite expensive (apart from sale stuff, as it was March). And everything seems geared up to get you to spend more money than you thought. I did get the sales tac rfunded on quite a few things though, including our accommodation. We booked direct with the owner via www.alluradirect.com for the accommodation.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
saxabar, Ski Independence are well worth talking to about the complete package.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think a complete package may be the way to go. Asides from the mountains, I have an ulterior motive as I'm applying for jobs in Vancouver and want to have a look around the place. I really can't do a big blow out though as I have big plans for the summer (whole summer in NZ if various job apps don't come off).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
saxabar, check the flight prices first, when we booked the DIY route saved the four of us over £1500 compared to the same accommodation and package with Ski Independence, but if the flights are expensive, you may find the package is best. Allura also offer discounted lift passes, ski schools, etc.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I second what Helen Beaumont says - if you can get reasonably priced flights then we've always found self-assembly to be much cheaper for Whistler. There's a good, bookable coach service from Vancouver up to Whistler.

If you want the best value then consider going the week before Christmas, leaving between Chirstmas Day and New Year. After Boxing Day the mountain gets VERY crowded with locals.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
saxabar, how much room do you need? I have space from mid/late december available very "on the cheap" if you are interested.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helen Beaumont, PhillipStanton, sensible advice. Thanks, I'll follow it up.

paulhothersall, PM on the way!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We have been the last 2 years. DIY is much cheaper for Whistler than packages. Allura is the best option for finding a condo at a good price. Use the geyhound from Vancouver to Whistler and save a bundle vs Perimeter express. You will have to change in Vancouver city, but most Perimeter buses go through the city too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As above but Whistler not cheap at the best of times and I'd expect Allura prices to be loaded over the holiday period as full occupancy is almost guaranteed. Perimeter far the better option on a cost vs time basis especially if you want to spend last day skiing before flying out.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Only one problem with Whistler at that time of year: No Snow!

I've been there past two years just after Christmas. The bottom half of the mountain was closed and the top wasn't great. And it rained. A lot. Fine for a few days, but 10 days would have driven me crazy.

Given the cost and need to book well in advance at that time of year, honestly I'd just stay in Vancouver (if you're there for interviews anyway) and drive up there a couple days if the weather is good. The potential of spending a hell of a lot of money just to watch rain fall is too high, in my opinion.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ami in berlin, No snow! Can this be true? I knew Whistler and that side of Canada was renowned for being damp, but no snow! I don't have interviews lined up but have applications being processed by local universities (who take ages to get around to filling posts) so thought I might take the opportunity to have a change from the French Alps and also have a look around Vancouver. nigels, I'll be sure to check out Alluradirect but at present I'm waiting to see if paulhothersall can 'quote me happy' rolling eyes fatbob, are buses out there not regular? I'd have thought they were given it's only an hour from Vancouver?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
saxabar, bit more than an hour you'll find, although they are improving the Sea to Sky Highway for the 2010 Olympics.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There had better be be some snow, else my coaching and instucting jobs won't be progressing very far! They have already started snowblowing, which is always a good start.

Its 1hr 10mins from Mt Seymour carpark (North Van) back to Whistler.

Prices probably 1/2 (or maybe less) the alluradirect, especially on short stays.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Christmas - New Years 2004: Top half was open, bottom half was very patchy. You could ski it if you don't mind dodging rocks. This made the long descents off the far sides of both Whistler and Blackcomb impossible (well, impossible if you don't want to walk it). The village had no snow cover. With only the top half open, there was still enough to do for a few days (it's a huge mountain), but given the cost of the lift ticket, I'd say it was a rip off.

Christmas - New Years 2005: I didn't even bother going farther than Vancouver, as reports said even the top half of the mountain was due to close. It was over 60° (sorry, fahrenheit) in Seattle and Vancouver the whole week before and after Christmas. This came after a very early start to the season, and they got dumped on the day I flew out.

Just because they are skiing now doesn't mean there will be snow at Christmas. Whistler is at a very low elevation, and if the jet stream dips to the south and the 'Pineapple Express' gets going, it will be warm and wet. And no snow. Whistler is great, but my point is that if you are going at that time of year, you run the risk of spending a lot of money for nothing. My advice would be to stay in Vancouver and drive up and back if the weather is good. Is that annoying? Maybe, but less annoying than spending a ton of money to watch rain. Or head into the interior.
snow report
saxabar, ...Zoom had some December/January flights Gatwick - Vancouver @ £139 each way, a week or so ago. I can also recommend Ski Independence for a package deal - very helpful people - be sure and have a nice time....!
latest report
After doing some searching around it looks like I'm going to have to can this one for this year Crying or Very sad although Ski Independence have still to get back to me with a quote. Even on the basis of flights and lift passes alone it's looking fairly pricey. Oh well. Thanks for the tips and advice that have now been saved for another (and hopefully wealthier) time.
snow conditions
saxabar, wait and see to last minute if you ant. Same as all the resorts for snowheads in the alps. We are capable of looking around and booking ourselves or seekeing the last minute bargain.

On the other side, a rtn flight to vancouver (say) booked cheap now (for say christmas, mid jan or whenever) would give you a stepping stone to BC to other areas. i.e. not just whistler.

Worst case comes to the worst, I shall have a sofa bed available in resort (for all snowheads in need) throughout the season irrespective of letting out the spare room.
snow report
Saxabar
You could try Canadian Affair for cheap flights to Vancouver.
ski holidays
paulhothersall, Thanks! snowHead
latest report
Shades, Had a quick look at the site but there appear to be no available flights or prices.
ski holidays
We've been three times around Christmas and the snow's been fine, although skiing down to Creekside was marginal. But it was still possible. I wouldn't hesitate to go back around that time.

2004/05 was one of the worst seasons they've had for ages. You could have turned up in February for the same "poor" conditions they had at Christmas. Let's face it, they were seriously considering starting work on the bike park at the end of March. But do remember that "poor" is a relative term - especially in Whistler.

I'm with Helen Beaumont on it being longer than an hour from Vancouver to Whistler. It may well be when the Sea to Sky improvements kick in fully, but if there's snow on the road then it'll take a lot longer. Our friends who live in North Vancouver always allow a couple of hours to drive up.

IMHO - last minute booking isn't a route to a cheap holiday over the peak season.
snow conditions
France (3 Vallees) was much worse in february last year than Whistler was at the worst point of the 04/05 season (the january monsoon season or the march early summer season!), there was however good snow over new year that year but it was v. cold!
Last season (05/06) there wasn't much skiing until boxing day, then it started snowing and didn't stop snowHead

Helen's definitely right on the bus thing - it would _really_ have to motor to get there in an hour! snowHead Including the faffing around getting out of vancouver (it pretty much drives right through the centre) it normally takes about 2 to 2 1/2 hours, longer if the weather's bad. Buses are however fairly regular (Perimeter from the airport, greyhound or a multitude of other ski-buses from downtown vancouver and Richmond) I've only used perimeter bit more pricey but they have been very good including waiting at the airport for the people flying from the UK because they know that the BA flight is always late!! snowHead
Flying to Vancouver over the christmas period is expensive, doesn't get much cheaper until early january.
latest report
stuarth, I don't think it's that the BA flight is always late. I find getting out of Vancouver airport can be a real pig if you're not Canadian. When S was 5 months we waited well over an hour in the immigration queue. The baggage handling isn't always the swiftest either and is nearly as bad as Heathrow! rolling eyes
snow report
stuarth and geetee - knew you guys would be along Very Happy

It's worth saying that Perimeter take you to your accommodation. I don't know if the other buses do.
ski holidays
PhillipStanton, actually up until March 05, the 04/05 season was the WORST ever on record by quite a long way. Pique news published a graph and it highlighted just how abysmal it was.

In fact this was a comment in an article published in the Pique on 17/03/05 (a day or so before the snow came!)

It’s official. According to Whistler-Blackcomb senior vice president Doug Forseth, the 2004-05 season is the worst ever for snowfall. "This will go down in the record books as absolutely the lowest snowfall we have had since skiing started on Whistler Mountain in 1966."
snow conditions
PhillipStanton, yes I'm never far away from a thread when it's about Whistler Smile
snow report
saxabar, I'm afraid I've never managed to do Whistler on a strict budget. Laughing We book our flights independently and use owner direct accommodation now (usually Allura) and we always ask if they'll do us a deal for 2 weeks or more. It's much easier for us to be near the village with a little one and you get a good standard of accommodation. I think a lot of people (i.e. the Americans and Canadians) would go for either a long weekend or up to 5 days so that gives us longhaul people a bit of leverage in that we're usually there for longer. Many of the Allura accommodations do specials where you get 7 nights for the price of 6. However, it's worth asking for a bit more (send an e-mail to several owners) and see what they say. After all, they can only say no.

I think it might be worth looking into the package holiday deal and stay in one of the chalets that are out of the village. You might get a good deal there and they probably drop you off and pick you up from the lifts.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geetee wrote:
I find getting out of Vancouver airport can be a real pig if you're not Canadian.

It isn't any better for Canadians. Everyone lines up in the same queue. Amazingly, the Canadians are so nice, they don't kick up a fuss
snow conditions
Arno, Really? From what I've seen there's a queue on the left for Canadians and another on the right for visitors. As you can imagine the queue for visitors when you've just come off the BA flight (and there's another 1 or 2 international flights that have just arrived) can be pretty horrendous.
ski holidays
geetee, my wife is canadian and they get no favours
snow conditions
Weeeeeeeeeeeee, a thread on Whistler. About time i started posting again then. Hello fellow snowheads.
Just 80 sleeps unitl i head out...
latest report
Robbie, You're back! Very Happy Where have you been Robbie Snowhead?!!
snow report
tee hee hee, hiding under my duvet waiting for winter to return!

Is going to be a good winter, i can feel it in my bones!

snowHead
ski holidays
Robbie, Hi!!!! Hope you have a great winter out there.
ski holidays
hi Helen Beaumont, am looking forward to it so much. DO you have some plans too?
latest report
Saxabar
That's odd,I've flown with them to Toronto a few times & their prices have been very cheap.
I was hoping to get a flight to Vancouver or Calgary later in the season.

Geetee
You're lucky you don't have to try getting through immigration at Toronto,it takes ages!! Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy