Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best/cheapest way to get from Geneva to Chamonix?

Poster: A snowHead
I need a lift, or a cheap way of getting from Geneva (either the gare or aeroport) on Friday 10th November in the evening, up to Chamonix (where I also need a bit of floor space to crash on), then returning to Geneva on Sunday 12th November in the afternoon.

Anyone able to help or advise?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cheapest is not always best Little Angel
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman, true. Perhaps I should clarify it as the most cost effective to keep the whole trip within budget.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat,

http://www.geneva-chamonix-transfers.com/?gclid=COnE8pqB9ocCFRUwXgodt3RquA

Chamonix bus? http://www.chamonix-bus.com/

http://www.alpybus.com/timetables
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've done it from Chamonix to Geneva by rail, which landed me in this funny little suburban railway station in Geneva. I think the scheduled Chamonix Bus is better. As far as I know it runs year-round, but check.

What star-rating of floor are you seeking, Your Excellency?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks.

It doesn't have to be free accomodation - I am perfectly prepared to pay in alcohol!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
WTFH - this thread on natives might be of interest.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Cheapest is not always best Little Angel

So, walking's probably out of the question... Hitch-hiking on the other hand...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
free floor space in or around chamonix lol i bet no one offers that is thay do lol ill fight you 4 it Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DAREN, welcome - I'm only looking to crash for 2 nights.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
To get to the slopes I once hitched from Northern Belgium to Bareges in the Pyranees. Took less than 24hrs and Free Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stanton, I'm not going skiing, just going to buy a pair of boots!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat, I will help you buy some on Saturday at the ski show if you want!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://www.a-t-s.net/

Used these guys for a stag do in Chamonix.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mouth, thanks for the offer, but I want to buy from the best shop in Europe.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, The best of do you mean the highest (being in Chamonix)?
snow conditions
Mouth, nope, I mean th best (outside of the Netherlands, where the universe's best bootfitters all work voluntarily...)
ski holidays
Which shop? Smile

PhillipStanton, that does look interesting, bookmarked!
Otherwise...
The buses are good but they don't run in the evening - I think the last is at about 5.30? Trains - again, I don't think they run after about 6ish. It's a pain - check sncf.fr though, I might be wrong. The other train route you can take goes from Geneva Airport to Martigny (3 hrs) and then take the Mont-Blanc Express. Longer but you don't have the stop in La Roche sur Foron (Is that the suburban station you meant?)

So a transfer is probably going to be best...Someone recently recommended Cham-van.com to me.
ATS really let me down when I used them, but they are probably the best known, perhaps I was just unlucky. I've used these guys too, no problems http://www.showtrain.com/
latest report
firebug wrote:
Which shop? Smile

I can't remember, it's something like:
Foot and Mouth
or maybe
Zoo Works

It's at the foot of the "Aguile do Maxipad", I think.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, if you look on www.cham74.com there is some one offering lifts from geneva airport to cham may be of some help
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, Wayne from Chamvan is out of town until mid-late November! Sorry Sport. Little Angel
snow conditions
SMALLZOOKEEPER, oh well Sad
snow conditions
Woohoo! Train tickets booked (and I got 25% discount off the fare from here to Bale)

Emailled a few people about lifts.
ski holidays
Can you not take a bike on the train and get a nice workout cycling to Cham? Or shirley the small one would pick up such an honoured guest Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Shocked Toofy Grin
ski holidays
kitenski, nice idea - I have my bike here, and could take it with me, but I suspect I won't.

I think I'll hire a car from sixt.com for about £47 for the weekend...
snow conditions
Serious question, but why not go when there is some snow to ski on, so you can check how the boots fit and go back for any tweaking? Or if your one of the lucky ones who doesn't need any tweaking I'll get my coat Wink

Cheers,

greg
latest report
kitenski, Foxy doesn't ski in Europe Laughing
latest report
spyderjon, Isn't Pas de L'Castleford' in Europe wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon, oh yes I do - my local hills here are about 45 minutes away - I will ski them this season.
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
Serious question, but why not go when there is some snow to ski on, so you can check how the boots fit and go back for any tweaking? Or if your one of the lucky ones who doesn't need any tweaking I'll get my coat Wink

Cheers,

greg

Fair point, but...
My idea was to get them when I had the time (and the shop wasn't too busy). This will also give me some breaking in time with them.
About a month after getting them, I'll be in Stowe, and intend to call in and see Benny Wax at Inner Boot Works. Then, at the end of January, I intend to meet up with Jeff Bergamom from Boot Fixation in Frisco. And in March, I'll be skiing with Bud Heisman from Snowind in Reno.
So, I'm hoping that those three (who are among the best in the world) will be able to fix any problems that SmallCuteKeeper doesn't manage to.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
About a month after getting them, I'll be in Stowe,

What? The little hamlet just up the road from Tallington dry ski slope?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy