Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Henry Avalanche Talk Xscape Castleford

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back from XScape Castleford. and one of Henrys talks.

Very informative, good use of video and graphics, ABS demonstration, good advice. Couldnt stay for the 2nd session, the Basic, this was the 'In Depth discussion'.

Saturday PM, but poorly attended, it was swapped back into the Brigham store from the main room. Would have been better with a Basic first then the In-depth rather than the reverse.

http://www.henrysavalanchetalk.com/main/talks/schedule.do

He's at Xscape Milton Keynes next week. 26th to 29th Oct. Highly recommended, professionaly presented! snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fraserp, thanks! I'll try to make one of the MK ones. How long was the talk? Do you know how long the Basic one is too? Do you have to pre-book?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks from me as well. I'll try to get to MK for one of the talks.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Started about 3:00 pm finished about 4:45 ish... . Really depends on questions asked as to the time . Apparently the Basic is 1hr 30mins

The ones for Sunday at Castleford were cancelled. This was a pay on the door type of event. Really wish I could have stayed for the basic, I may even try to get to MK.

At £10 and £5 respectively, well worth it! snowHead

Henry and his buddy, went through the whole avalanche process, how caused, different stages, snow conditions etc. Far, far away from old ideas. Really based on a 'understand the risk' basis. Very refreshing....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is it necessary to attend the basic talk in order to understand what's said in the in-depth version? I've heard Henry give an introductory talk some time ago, although I don't think I can remember much about it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
Is it necessary to attend the basic talk in order to understand what's said in the in-depth version? I've heard Henry give an introductory talk some time ago, although I don't think I can remember much about it.
Two quite different statements rob. If you cannot remember much about the earlier talk then it sounds like you need a refresher. But the in depth should be worth hearing as well or instead.

I have been to several of Henry's basic talks in Val d'Isere, perhaps one per year. I find them a good refresher that, hopefully, reminds me about some of what to look out for when I ski off piste. Additionally, the talk changes a little from year to year. Not the basic facts and message, but the way it is presented. Plus it is updated with more recent events. I do prefer going to Henry's in-depth talks when in Val d'Isere. Then he and his partners, and often an invited guest, talk about a specific topic plus about local snow conditions have been built up during the season and as affected by very recent weather conditions.

I highly recommend going to one of Henry's talks if you can. They are a valuable way to spend a couple on non-skiing hours when in Val d'Isere and some other resorts. His talks in the UK are excellent for those not priviledged to be visiting Val d'Isere.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Attended the Basic talk this pm. Very well presented. A good overview of the subject. Lets you know the context of concern about avalanches, the actual danger, what you can do to avoid being in one (slope and skiing factors) and a little on what to do if in one. All stuff you must know esp if skiing off piste and worth reminding yourself of each season. Questions raised touched on additional aspects and the Avalanche Airbag system was demonstrated. As fraserp said, well worth it, and an enjoyable listen too. I'll be attending one of the in-depth ones this weekend too. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy