Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good at Xmas - recommendations please

Poster: A snowHead
Okay guys help and advice please Smile

I want to head off with the family somewhere in Europe for 7 days at Christmas (23rd to 30th if possible).

Skiing wise I'll be happier with anything that's reasonably varied with some on piste challenge so a resort with mainly beginner/intermediate runs will probably not be ideal but having the family in tow means that if they're happy I'll be happy so terrain on this occasion isn't of prime importance. My wife has never skied and goodness knows if she'll give it a go this time, we have a 3 year old who is a bit young for ski school I guess so childcare facilities would be helpful. We also have a (just) 7 year old who has skied for a year now so she'll be looking for a good ski school for kids.

Being Christmas, and half the party not being skiers, I'm looking for somewhere that has a bit of atmosphere (for families, as opposed to crazy nightlife) and might have a Christmassy feel to it (even better if there's stuff for kids like Santa visiting etc.). I've been thinking in terms of perhaps somewhere more traditional in Austria or Switzerland that'll also have diversions for non-skiers (picturesque villages and shops and nice atmosphere) and Zermatt was one place that crossed my mind, but apparently the beginners terrain isn't that extensive and I worry that at this time of year the snow might not be great.

So, I'm looking for somewhere in Europe that's likely to have decent snow cover at Christmas and is reasonably atmospheric with decent facilities for kids and non-skiers (and/or beginners) but also (I would hope) has some decent on piste challenges for a competent skier (that's me). I'll probably book this freelance over the net rather than using a tour company (unless anyone has any specific recommendations) and price within reason isn't the biggest issue but (being a Scot) decent value would make me happier! Wink

Accommodation wise I'm flexible in terms of type (Self catering, Chalet, or hotel), although having kids (and wife!) I'd like decent quality and preferably a child friendly environment and I guess some hotels/chalets might have baby sitting services that'd come in handy whereas self-catering wouldn't offer this.

So does anyone have any experiences and recommendations of resorts and/or accommodation that might fit the bill?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi roga, I've sent you a pm
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've spent several Christmases in Courchevel over recent years. I think it meets your criteria: great range of terrain for all grades of skier, choice of ski schools including two good British ski schools, and a great atmosphere around the resort for skiers and non-skiers. Not quite in the same league for Alpine charm as some Austrian or Swiss resorts, but perhaps it makes up for this with ski convenience (useful to not have to walk too far with your two kids when you're taking them to ski school or creche). Santa arrives on Christmas Eve (either by helicopter, pistebasher or traditional sleigh), but I guess he makes an appearance in all the resorts you'll be thinking of. None skiers will have the choice of walks, snow-shoeing, sleigh rides, ice skating, ice driving, shopping, cable car to the top for mountain views, etc. Courchevel 1650 normally offers better value for money that C1850, but you don't have to blow the family inheritance to have a good time in 1850 if you don't want to.

We've always been OK for snow in Courchevel - some years its been very good, some years OK, but the majority of the resort's runs above 1600m have always been open for Christmas.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Roga

I was in exactly the same boat as you, i asked on this site and recieved Great help and advice

I have decided on Les Carroz Seem to have good snow record 40cms average over the last three years at village level

we have chosen a hotel, Hotel le Bois de la Char, for the same week H/B the kids are FREE in total for the 4 of us £740 ish and also its By 1 adult Ski pass get a childs FREE

The hotel is a a bottom of a red run and also at the top of a nursery slope, the red run is floodlit 2 times a week until 10pm

my youngest is 3 and ESF take them from 3 in the ski school

We wanted a family White (hopefully) christmas and are looking forward to it now we have booked

hope you find what YOUR looking for
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Roga

I was in exactly the same boat as you, i asked on this site and recieved Great help and advice

I have decided on Les Carroz Seem to have good snow record 40cms average over the last three years at village level

we have chosen a hotel, Hotel le Bois de la Char, for the same week H/B the kids are FREE in total for the 4 of us £740 ish and also its By 1 adult Ski pass get a childs FREE

The hotel is a a bottom of a red run and also at the top of a nursery slope, the red run is floodlit 2 times a week until 10pm and if no snow they are snow cannoned as well

my youngest is 3 and ESF take them from 3 in the ski school

We wanted a family White (hopefully) christmas and are looking forward to it now we have booked

hope you find what YOUR looking for
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think Courchevel is a great resort. can't comment on Xmas thoug. Its an excellent place for a mixed group of skiers. I would ahve thought any decent resort with a well set up tourist office will ahve Santa clause. Might be worth checking on the events page ofteh tourist office website of whichever resort you choose.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks to everyone who has replied - any more advice gratefully received Smile

Anniepen, thanks for the PM.

rob@rar, I'm looking into Courchevel.

CrowJersey, Les Carroz looks interesting so I'm also having a look at what's on offer there, the free kids lift pass is a good incentive - do many do this? I don't recall it in L2A last season but perhaps I missed out on a good deal!

It actually strikes me that some perfectly decent hotels are cheaper than chalets, or am I missing something? I ws always under the impresion that chalets were supposed to be a cheap alternative to hotels but I have to admit that chalet accomodation is a total mystery to me!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have you considered Morzine? We had a great Xmas skiing holiday there 2 years ago. It's a proper place not a high rise concrete monstrosity, has lots of privately run chalets which can easily be booked over the net, I'm told it good for childcare (no kids myself), different ski schools to choose from, short transfer (just over an hour from Geneva airport) or about 9 hours from Calais if you driving, cheaper resort than Courchevel. Will there be snow? - Morzine itself isn't very high but ski pass has loads of skiing on it including Avoriaz which at good height. Little Angel
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have to second the vote for Morzine. It is a real town rather than a resort so there's more to do for non skiers. However, you just get the lift up to Avoriaz which is high so it's good for snow. Your wife might enjoy a day wandering round there as well. The Portes du Soleil has over 650kms of marked runs so loads to keep you busy. There are good ski schools and nanny services for the kids. Christmas last year was great with lots of snow, so hoping this year will be the same.

Sara
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Welcome to snowHead SaraB
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SaraB, Howdy Very Happy
Nice first post. Nice balance. Must get my backside to the to the PdS someday.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

free kids lift pass is a good incentive - do many do this?

Some resorts offer "family tickets" which save you a bit, and there are sometimes special deals in individual resorts, or through individual tour operators. Worth checking the websites, for example some offer free or very cheap tickets to the smallest kids. You'd be lucky to get free tickets (we never managed it!) but with a family the price of lift tickets is a significant consideration and you will find prices, and the deals available, do vary considerably. No need to pay for a fancy huge domain if you are not able to use it - and even though you are an experienced skier, roga, you will be too busy making sure the rest of the family have a good time to range too far away. wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
and even though you are an experienced skier, roga, you will be too busy making sure the rest of the family have a good time to range too far away. wink

Sob, I know Crying or Very sad Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm still looking around for stuff, need to sit down soon and actually make a decision - for some reason choosing to head off at Xmas is making it more difficult to decide where to go. I guess I don't want a mess up and want make sure it's somewhere great for the kids given the time of year!

Sooo, please keep those ideas and recommendations coming in Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks Frosty the Snowman and FenlandSkier!

And re- free lift passes PdS are free for the under 5s and reduced for 5-15s, gen about 1/3 off. Not having kids I don't know much about other resorts, but I'd think others should do something similar.
latest report
SaraB, Welcome to snowHead 's and very balanced article. I am sure that you have shadowed the sight for some time now and it is wise not to push the resort too much. We bought up at 1800 and love the place maybe we can get in touch when we are over and both Guy and yourself can get a few hours off.

Good luck in your change in lifestyle.
latest report
Roy Hockley, Merci! Give us a shout when you're over as it's not all work. We generally manage to fit in some boarding too!
latest report
I love Zermatt and would say it had everything you need, buuuuuuut, the terrain is not best for a beginner IMHO.
The village, scenery, food and ambiance are spectacular though Smile
ski holidays
Christmas snow can alway be a bit hit and miss, my advice would be to go high. We have been away for Christmas for the past 8 years my top choice would be Obergurgl (though I agree Morzine would have the edge for non skiers) Obergurgl has a great snow record, and a big plus it is in Austria not France so the Apres Ski and general atmosphere seem so much better. The area is small enough for you to go off and do your own thing but still meet back up for lunch and the Hotels are all very good and almost all ski in ski out. ( I would recommend the Edelweiss as the very best for position and it has a good Child care service) We will be back there this Christmas.

Hope this helps
Chris
ski holidays
I am seriously considering Christmas skiing for 2007 on the back of all this advice!
ski holidays
Mrs Axs and I did last Christmas (19-26) at Val D'isere and enjoyed it so much that we are going back, same dates this year. (Although we'll be staying in Tignes just for a change of view). Skiing was great last year as the snowmaking and glacier made sure the pistes were covered. food and nightlife are all we could ask for, my facourite was the Grand Marnier bar. Certainly worth considering IMHO.
snow report
TallTone, this xmas will be my 4th on the run, and couldn't envisage a xmas at home now.... Was in La Plagne the first 2, Chamonix last xmas, and Zermatt this. Can't wait!! Razz
snow conditions
Norway for me this year. It is meant to be rotating, Year 1 - Norway, Year 2 - France, Year 3 - Ireland. Last two years it has been Norway (definately not complaining! with the exception of the obligatory cross country ski).

Have funroga, wherever you go will be special in a resort at xmas.
ski holidays
I second Courchevel 1850 for Crimbo. Good snow, good pistes, good atmosphere, good shopping and good apres-ski. Zermatt is also a sound choice.
snow report
Hi - I'm new to snowheads and snowboarding. Have just come back from 6 days at Stelvio Passe glacier in Italy with 200 Italians at a snowmotion event (http://www.snowmotion.it/) - first time snowboarding... I am covered in bruises! it was lots of fun though. Am planning a trip to Cervinia over Christmas and NY - does anyone know if it is a good place that time of year???
Erica
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy