Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weak US doller = more US bound skiers ?

Poster: A snowHead
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
DB wrote:
The Doller is a river in Alsace, in north-eastern France. Near Mulhouse it flows into the Ill, a tributary of the Rhine.

Alsace isn't really north-eastern France. Eastern, yes, but most of Alsace is south of Paris.

The Ill is a river which is less than a km from where I am right now. It flows into the Rhin not too far from here.

Well blow me ......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doller_River

Does it have many frogs in this river then?

PS I still can't get over you buying that red chick magnet just because someone said you weren't an expert skier. NehNeh

PPS this isn't where you got the money from to buy the chick magnet was it?

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_2057124.html?menu=
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DB, here's a map of France...
http://www.map-of-france.co.uk/
Alsace is number 9.

The Ill flows through Strasbourg...
The Protestant Cathedral
Towers of the Ponts Couvert
...and again
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

smolo, I don't think pollittcl was jumping down your throat, but she did ask you what your problem was with it.

I'd still like to know why you have a problem with it? Especially since it is in place to try to stop terrorists entering the country! I'd be more worried about the number of time you are filmed in a normal day, say if you go out for coffee in London. Isn't there a car ad that highlights this?! I'm not bothered about the US government having my fingerprints - they've had them since the first time I entered the country in 1984, and they are used as part of our identification - drivers licenses carry the fingerprint of your right index finger.

Wear The Fox Hat, thanks for sticking up for me. I know you have no problem with travelling, may be I'll see you at the ESA in Tahoe, if I get my act together!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:

I am lucky if I find one lift a day that doesn't have a queue at it, and finding an organised/polite queue - well, that's something I've never found in those three countries.

I am quite genuinely amazed. In recent years I have hardly had any queue problems and have had far more ski straight onto the lift lifts than I have had even 2-5 minute queues let alone longer. Have to say I don't find most queues particularly ill mannered though there are a few as well as the odd ankle biter who needs to be kept in place Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
T Bar wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:

I am lucky if I find one lift a day that doesn't have a queue at it, and finding an organised/polite queue - well, that's something I've never found in those three countries.

I am quite genuinely amazed. In recent years I have hardly had any queue problems and have had far more ski straight onto the lift lifts than I have had even 2-5 minute queues let alone longer. Have to say I don't find most queues particularly ill mannered though there are a few as well as the odd ankle biter who needs to be kept in place Toofy Grin

I'm surprised as well. Outside of the half-term period I very rarely have had any significant queues over the last couple of seasons, and that's in the large French ski stations which often receive queue-criticism. I agree that queuing can be a bit of a competitive sport, but this doesn't often cause me any grief. I'd also like to see more chairlifts with single rider lines - some have in Paradiski, but not enough of them.

WTFH, perhaps you have been unlucky if most of the ski lifts you've ridden have been at the wrong end of the queue?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I experienced only occasional queues of any length more than 5 mins in Austria, really was no big deal when I was there at all. If you skied the nicer parts you pretty much skiied straight on..
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
laundryman, Better than your Dutch I suspect wink

I was complaining about American English, not Dutch English (which, joking aside, is generally better than English English).

I always think that written Dutch is a bit like a magic eye picture: stare at it for long enough and the English eventually pops out. Of course, verbally, it's utterly incomprehensible to anyone this side of the North Sea. Mind you, I'm told the Frisian dialect is particularly close to English. At least that's what Melvyn Bragg says, and he's very clever.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
laundryman, I have shared a 10 min gondola journey with a load of orange clad dutchies, and not understood a syllable Embarassed
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, yes, it is amazing for a small flat country there are so many Dutch skiers - wherever you go?.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
On the Euro queueing front I've found that the worst are at pinch points e.g. in the PDS the lifts uphill from Avoriaz, the return lifts in the afternoon from Lindarets particularly where the genii decree that one must shut early. You tend to get this less in the US & Canada as there are fewer resorts where "commuting" between linked areas is the norm though I can think of examples e.g. crossing from California to Nevada side at Heavenly which curious enough can be a bit of a log jam, accessing Whistler mountain mid morning from the village gondola.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pollittcl, This probably isn't the place for a political or lack of freedom of liberty discussion ... but here goes Very Happy

My problem with it is that there are very few things that are left to the individual. You mentioned the cameras in London. When I did live in London I hated that Big Brother life-style. You may say that you don't notice it and get used to it. This, is my opinion is the wrong attitude. Yes people will get used to it, but why should we have to get used to something that's a breach of our liberties ? What's going to go next ?

Fingerprints are unique to everyone on the earth. I have a problem giving something that's unique to me away before I have done anything wrong. I know I'm very much in the minortiy with this point of view ... my sister can't understand why I won't go over and visit her in the States !!! So it does have an effect my life - other than not being able to ski Jackson - but I think that's it's something very important.

As a backround, I'm a reasonably law abiding citizen who has never taken a card at a supermarket for the reason mentioned by the Fox in the Hat above, but who does use a credit card too often (so I'm aware that a lot of details are already tracked)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
smolo, Looking at your location you would probably also get particular emphasis on :-

'Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Communist Party ?'
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Holland was the first country in Europe to have McDonalds setup shop & the rest (BK,KFC) all followed . Sad

Going back to Coffee.

Holland is biggest coffee importer in Europe & im glad to say that one great Dutch pastime (drinking good coffee) has not been infiltrated by crap American Style coffee shops ie. Starbucks etc Except Amsterdam) selling huge cups of tasteless caffeine. Long may it continue Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stanton, As Marie Antoinette would have said ' Let them drink coffee'

That way the price of tea remains reasonable. It is usually served to you in a proper cup or mug not a styrofoam, cardboard, or plastic container. The venues that serve tea do not attract tw@ts who talk shop, or sit there using laptop computers while people are trying to eat.

Employers have some responsibility in this. Setting aside eating areas where people can perch with all their bits and pieces and electronic gizmos is an extremely bad idea. If you work in such a place, make sure to leave the building at lunch time. If you are in a business park, bring sandwiches or go for a walk.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stanton, I'm not a great connoisseur of coffee, but what gets me about Starbucks is the price. My eldest daughter spends a fortune there. On the plus side, it's not going on alcoholic binge drinking! Laughing
snow report
There is great coffee in the US (and great coffee shops). There is also great beer, and it is even possible to make a delicious hamburger. Those who base their assumptions around this topic on Starbucks (although to be fair, Starbucks is actually pretty good quality, just massively overpriced), Bud and McDonalds are very sad, indeed.

More to the point, there's great skiing, too.

As for fingerprints, I think those who object need to ask a simple question: What is it you are afraid the government is going to do with those fingerprints? Is this a rational fear?
snow report
ami in berlin, I love the States and Canada - and occaisionally have had a good cup of coffee there - but only when served by an Italian. The insipid bland stuff served by Starbucks is an insult to the beans - whereas their hot chocolate is brilliant. The French are only marginally better, but for real coffee I believe you have to go to Italy, Greece or anywhere which has been overrun by North Africans in the past. (perhaps why Coffee is stronger in Southern Italy then Northern?)

I am with you on Beer in the US (but not Canada - land of the state owned liquor store) - the whole Microbrewery movement is great.

Bud, Starbucks Coffee, Coors etc - you should just cut out the middleman and pour it straight down the toilet.
snow report
stoatsbrother, you can find half decent beer in Canada; the Big Rock Brewery in Calgary produces some OK stuff, and there a few brew pubs around, such as the Grizzly Paw in Canmore. I imagine that there are others. The regular stuff - Kokanee, Molson - is filthy.
snow report
smolo, I respect your view point, but how long is it going to be before you cannot travel anywhere? Because the US is now fingerprinting non-citizens, other countries are reciprocating - Brazil, for instance. I enjoy having the freedom to travel, but I also think that each country is entitled to protect it's citizens against terrorism, while still allowing them freedom of choice. The other option would be to close the borders to non-citizens!

I see you put your location as Lithuania - I was wondering if you are required to carry photo ID at all times? I find that having to carry ID is more a restiction of my personal liberty than most things.

I do notice the cctv cameras every where, but if they help fight crime I am willing to be filmed as necessary.

Oh, and I can't stand either American coffee, or what passes for beer. Confused
latest report
pollittcl, even belgium requires you to carry ID at all times even tourist can be stopped by police and asked to produce ID failure to do so will often resort to an over night stay in the cells if they are feeling mean.
ski holidays
Russell, what's your point? In most countries where you are required to carry ID the procedure is just the same, incuding the United States! Very Happy
latest report
http://www.illy.com/illy2006/en-INT/
http://www.lavazza.com/default/channel/index_eng.jsp

and NOT Coffee flavoured water bucket size cups from
http://www.starbucks.com/retail/beverages.asp

Russell,

ID is compulsory in Holland since last year.
ski holidays
pollittcl wrote:
Russell, what's your point? In most countries where you are required to carry ID the procedure is just the same, incuding the United States! Very Happy

Um, but you are not required to carry ID in the US (or UK). A cop cannot stop you on the street and demand to see ID.
snow report
Oh man ... this is what I didn't want ... but ...

Brazil only have fingerprinting for US citizens. It's a reactionary action (how's that for shII french Very Happy ) against the US government.

I don't belive that any government is benevolent ... do you ? How many bad goverments are there in the world ? Have you ever met a person who has been voted into power ... you tell me if they are nice people. I have yet to meet a nice politican ....

I have never been a menber of the Communist party.

I don't carry ID ... I should ... but I don't ... time will tell when I get arrested.

Give me one month and my location will be changed to Chamonix. I promise to post lots of TRs.

On the plus point .. come to Lithuania. Forget about your coffee, get a LT Hot Choclate ... see Naples and die - nah get a Hot Choclate in Lithuania, heaven begins there Very Happy

Apologies for the semi-politacal rant ... you should have seen what I deleted Shocked

Edited for bad spelling

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 1-11-06 13:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
smolo wrote:
Have you ever met a person who has been voted into power ... you tell me if they are nice people. I have yet to meet a nice politican ....

Yes I've worked closely with quite a few. They have been at various levels of seniority, including backbenchers, junior Ministers, members of the Cabinet, and across all three main parties in the UK. With only one exception they have been very nice people, sharing one common attribute of trying to improve the world we live in in some way or other. I wouldn't necessarily agree with the policies that some of these people espouse, but I have a lot of respect for the majority of them. In my view the poor opinion of UK politicians is very often undeserved.
snow conditions
rob@rar, I'm glad to hear that you don't like Maggie Twisted Evil
ski holidays
smolo, Laughing
latest report
ami in berlin,
Quote:

Um, but you are not required to carry ID in the US (or UK). A cop cannot stop you on the street and demand to see ID.

In the US you ARE required to carry ID once you are 18 - either a photo drivers license or State ID Card - and you can be stopped and asked to produce it by the cops.

smolo, most of the politicians I've met have also been nice people, although that does not mean that I agree with their politics.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pollittcl wrote:
ami in berlin,
Quote:

In the US you ARE required to carry ID once you are 18 - either a photo drivers license or State ID Card - and you can be stopped and asked to produce it by the cops.

No, you're not.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiibel_v._Sixth_Judicial_District_Court_of_Nevada
snow conditions
ami in berlin, but that doesn't take into account local ordinances, nor does it include drivers or people travelling in a motor vehicle.
latest report
pollittcl wrote:
ami in berlin, but that doesn't take into account local ordinances, nor does it include drivers or people travelling in a motor vehicle.

The law:
There is no federal law requiring that you carry ID.

Individual states may enact laws (some have, some haven't) that require you to identify yourself if a police officer has reasonable suspicion to believe that you are about to, or just have, committed a crime. This is NOT a requirement to present ID. You are merely required to state your name, and only then if you are suspected of being involved in criminal activity. This does NOT allow police to randomly request ID from people walking down the street, as is the case in most of continental Europe.

If you are driving, you must carry a drivers' license (well, duh!).

My original statement:

Quote:

Is accurate.

Your repsonse:

Quote:

Is not.
latest report
OK girls, put your handbags down please!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy