Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Learning to snowboard - how many lessons?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I need some advice. This year I'm taking the plunge and learning to snowboard! I'll have and a half days to do it. My question is, with 6 hours of private tuition can I get to a level where the experience is enjoyable (ie taking a chairlift to the top of an easy run, and making it to the bottom in one peice, not too bothered if I fall over occasionally)? If so, could I get away with taking the 6 hours over two days? I really want to maximise what little snow time I have. I know my progress depends a lot on my aptitude, but where might I expect to get to after 6 hours? I've been skiing (I admit not all that well) for 15 years

Thanks for any help, Liam
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry all - I see a previous post has pretty much answered my question!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lrx28, I thought I'd reply anyway Liam - for starters this corner of the forum is WAY too quiet - so I thougth I'd just to say hello and ensure your thread does not look like you're talking to yourself

Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi There,
I learnt in 2 days, both Lessons were about 4 hours each and since then i have been learning as i go along.
I am confident on all types of runs, can pull off jumps and can slide on rails etc.

Once you have mastered the basics, everything else seems to come naturally - its just a case of trial and error!!

Invest in some wrist guards, the 'red' ones for £20 are def worth the money!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lrx28,

Hi Liam, I had skiing lessons and skied for about 3 yrs before I boarded but I never actually had any boarding lessons. I managed with a bit of trial and error and a lot of falling on my A***. A few lessons to get you started is very useful but not essential, I should think you will find that 6 hours is plenty to get you up and running. Mastering chairlifts and drag lifts on a board can be tricky but all good fun, especially if you really don’t mind falling over a bit…its not for the faint-hearted Cool
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It took me about 6 years!

I found skiing much easier & less painful.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I do both and I was the opposite I found boarding much more natural than skiing, if you watch skiiers from the lifts then look at boarders - skiing has become too technical.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lrx28, I'm very much a fledgling boarder but suspect 6 hours of private instruction would be plenty for your goal of easy run, occasional fall, though I'd do 3 hours lessons each of the 2 days with the rest of the time free practice. When I learnt I did an hour private followed by 1/2 hour practice day 1 then another hour private and 1 hour practice day 2 and that 3.5 hour total was sufficient for a blue run with max of a handful of falls on my last run. Like most, I found boarding much easier to learn but I'm sure that's at least in part due to previous skiing experience. And yes, it's definitely a more painful process in the first few days!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for your advice everyone! Now I feel pleasantly optimistic about the whole experience.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I took the learn to board in a day course at tamworth snowdome and picked things up pretty quickly, by the end of the day i was linking turns (still falling over every so often though!). Planning to go to Bulgaria in Jan for a week so ill have some more lessons while out there to progress abit further.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lrx28, welcome to the darkside

6 hours should be plenty,buy some guards and hold on tight for the rush Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
you should be fine! I'd also add that a pair of impact shorts is a godsend when you're learning - really takes the sting out of the falls.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

could I get away with taking the 6 hours over two days

unless you are extremely young and fit you might find 3 hours one-on-one tuition a bit much to start with. 3 two hours sessions might be better, and you'd still have plenty of time to go and practice what you've learnt, if you've the energy. If you can't get down an easy run and enjoy it after that, change your instructor! The Boarding Skool video is cheesy, but I found it well worth watching - helps speed things up a bit.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
with some advice from a friend i was turning links i a day,

enjoy learning, your love it
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've only had an hours lesson over the six weeks I've been on a board. I enjoy it, happy on most runs but I'm only now going to get some lessons to hopefully move my riding up a level from the place I'm stuck at now!!!
6 hours should be plenty to get you on your way. I wish I'd done that when I started.

Good luck with it, to me it seemed to be easier to pick up than skiing. Smile
latest report
from 1 to 3 days depending on how quick you pick it up.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy