Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Clusaz! - off piste?

Poster: A snowHead
Going in January with a group of twelve of mixed ability. Should be a mad time, was wondering if anyone had any hints and tips about off piste and also some good runs and places to eat. snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
La Balme Rocks my world!

I wana live there or Les Gets, actually here is not bad, oh and then there is Les Arcs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
La Balme is cool. If there's been some snow coming down, it's close to heaven. It's so accessible and easy to get that, well, it is actually off piste serviced by lifts.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Me and my brother going there the las weekend of January, and we've the same question!!!!...... where?? jeje. Both have good level (for example, we can do most of schindlerspitze couloirs, or the Valluga downhill in St Anton), and stay 3 days (26-29th) looking for good freeride. We look for an offpiste serviced by lifts, or with small hiking (20-30minuts).

I found some good things on the net, but nothing explicit, in all sites says, ohh La Balme rocks!!! So, I understand (we never been there) that La Balme and Torchière are a big "free" bowls...... I found other route that starts at the Top of La Balme, do a traverse, and finish near the Lac des Confins (Combe de Bellacahat I think)... In other sites speaks about the trees down the l'Étale cable car (next to the balck ever "unpisted")......or the forest in Beauregard.........

We will stay at u'fredy at two steps of l'Étale, so after a night storm, can be a good start Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Laughing

More spots to try??? Are there places to avoid (for frequent avalanche danger or normally froxen..or similar)???

Thanks...... In compensation we promise a photo report......Shocked Shocked

Example of our promise..... Laughing Laughing Laughing (St Anton - January 2005) Madeye-Smiley

The complet gallery (Sorry, but text is in Catalan....)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Talk to ESF and go out with Fabien Pollet-Villard. He's knows the mountains like his own pockets having grown up by the lifts and trekked the whole area also in the summer so he knows what's under the snow.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies will have to explore some more and AlTom, the photos are great, look forward to the next set. snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From last winter in La Balme (March last winter):

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Torchière Gully is the way forward. Its very good.

Take the top chair on La Balme, and when you are near the top checkout the conditions just under the lift and see if there are any tracks. When you come off the chair it goes round to the right, drop off the edge under the rope and traverse all the way across under the chair again and get as far as you can along it (further you get, shorter the hike) Then unclip and hike about 30 minutes and you will find yourself at the entrance of the gully. Depending on conditions you are looking sometimes at maybe a 6foot drop into it, but its worth it Smile - you come out just down by the car park.

On the other side of balme there is a real nice treck to be had. Look at the piste map of balme and find the highest drag on the right side..... get to the top of that, then (imagine you are looking up and over to the right slightly) hike that section..... 20/30 minutes and you come out onto the peak with cornice's either side. Drop in on the same side you walked and you will have half hour to yourself and come out again down by the car park at the bottom........... also there are a couple of nice places just at the bottom of that drag, leads into a small steep and a natural half pipe with a couple of 15/20ft drops, be careful not to go too far right as there is a 100ft drop at the end.....

also check out the tree runs on Etale and Beureguard (spelling?!) as there is lots of fun to be had there.

enjoy Cool
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My 2003 Good Ski Guide says La Clousaz is good value, friendly and very French with a charming village and a good place to get away from crowds of Brits. The areas are linked by a good bus system. Its main drawback is that it is very low for Haute Savoie (1,100 - 2,600m) and it says the pistes are of limited appeal to advanced skiers. However it says nothing about the off-piste (it's only a round-up entry)and in this sort of resort where usually not many people ski off piste it might be rather good (if you can find where to go).
Apres Ski bars: Le Pressoir (especially snowboarders), Lion d'Ore (lots of resort workers - advice on off piste?), Les Cave du Paccaly and Le Grenier. L'Ecluse is best Disco (glass dance floor over the river, Club 18 live bands attracting locals and slightly older people. But all rather quiet during the week - lively at weekends.
Best food Le Foly (very expensive) , and Symphonie in Hotel Beauregard (expensive). Chalets de la Serraz and L'Alpage de Tante - both a bit far off, L'Arbe (local specialities) and La Scierie (very trendy).
All this is just from my GSG.
snow conditions
 dt
dt
As demos said the ESF are pretty good when it comes to guiding in La Clusaz. I skied with Raymond Thovex a couple of times and he seemed to know where to go. The best descent he showed us was off the back of L'Aiguille. When you reach the top of the L'Aiguille chair take off your skis and climb up the 20 odd metres above the lift, right to the top of the hill. When I skiied it there was a cornice forming from windslab up there, so probably best to attempt only with a guide, but nothing to serious if you know what nick the local snow is in. Once you go off the back there is a substantial descent down into the Combe de Fernuy which stays in the shade. As a result the snow remains in beautiful condition for ages, and few people know about it, so it provides some cracking skiing. As everyone else has pointed out Balme also produces some great options, but the best skiing on that side is to be had in the Combe de Bellachat next door. If you hike round the side of the Balme, away from the Aiguille, and following the tracks you end up in another Balme-esque valley, but this time one devoid of lifts or pistes. You are then free to ski down to Lac des Confins, about 900m below, from where you can get the bus to La Balme and go back and do it all over again. There is another massive open and unpisted valley which is easily accessible, right next to the top of the Aiguille chair. Keep your skis on, skate up to the fence at the edge of the area and duck the rope. You have to ski along a small path across a rocky face, but its nothing nasty, and then you are gifted with another huge and deserted valley to play in. Again, if you dont know you way around a guide would be useful for the first couple of times as you have to make sure you leave at the right point to avoid being caught in a snowless forest miles from a lift. That said, Borderan is skied an awful lot so you could just sit 100m behind someone else and follow them. I also like the trees below Combe de Voret that lead down to the green nursery slope that in turn leads back to La Clusaz. At the top of the Fernuy red, before it cuts off and drops down the Combe de Fernuy, drop off the piste and down towards the trees where there is some pretty nice tight and twisty powder in amongst the trees. The above are by no means exhaustive, and I would definitely recomend a guide, especially as certain parts of the area can be a bit avalanche prone (as with most decent off piste) and it makes sense to get to know where the risks lie. Plus, the ESF are pretty reasonable in La Clusaz, so it wont break the bank.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Loads of great data, thanks. Any thoughts on whether an ESF guide would take a combination of skiers and boarders in a party?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks!!!

Maybe too many things to do in 3 days..... we will see... Laughing Laughing

I found all the places and routes that you mention with the help of the ski map and some photos (of course, before ski it, we will check the conditions with "pisters" and look at the places from lifts or marked pistes...), excepte the first route posted by PropagandaSnowboards....sorry Puzzled

dt, there is a green run (motte) that crosses sometimes the low part of Combe de Voret, is the forest "descently" spaciated to ski at all?, or it's better to take the green. I understand for your description that we can ski until the last crossing.

In fact, all the routes that you describes I can imagine it with skimap and photos, the first time that I saw it I thinked: OHH!!! Nice place......but the "locals" help always is important. In the Pyrenees (most in the spanish side), unfortunately the runs are "closed", we have more runs in much less terrain and much less vertical, that it translates in less "wild" terrain...Sad Sad
For the Beauregard forest which side of black slope is skiable? The side down the green run (Envers), the side down blue run (Guy Perillat) or both??. And I suppose that from the top of L'Etale there are some descent couloirs down....

All places looks with easy acces, so it means that La Balme, Fernuy and Borderan after a snowfall are all traced in a morning..... Sad Sad

SO, All sectors have some places to discover........I hope for powder days.... Maybe this program can be a good choice: weekend aventure
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Steve Sparks, I think they might, if particularly they do both themselves (like Fabien, for example). Best is to call and ask.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dt, Hmm, you're getting me interested....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
These are the gems of information that make me salivate. Now i am thinking maybe i should fit a few days la clousaz this coming season. Thanks dt.
latest report
I have just edited the ski map a bit. Some of the place mentioned earlier are here with red paint. The pics I had above are from Torchere - the actual Balme chair was still closed as there was too much snow those days... While Borderan is skied a lot, stick to the left side of the lifts, not right, if possible and continue straight down from the drag lifts to the little bowl which is emptly and outside the pistes. Then just follow traces in the forest. Easy.

Also, skiing down from Etale under the lift is good fun, but beware, later it becomes rocky and there are nasty drops where you do not want to enter...

snow report
nice map demos. Thanks for the work.......We will try to do it.... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
demos, looks brill. Can't wait to get there in January Very Happy
snow report
In the meantime, check this for inspiration. Taken last winter at Balme.

http://sdp.skiinfo.com/images/dppic/f113013.mov?count=1145029267652
ski holidays
If you want some good off-piste fun Nico (ex rip-curl, dynastar pro-rider) and Arsene 9grand raid winner with Seb Marchaud)
are really good and will take you off in the back country and video while they are with you.
They will take you on the pistes and trails that only the instructors and locals know! Take a look at http://www.aravis-ski.com/
We run a chalet in La Clusaz and have booked them for a week in March (12-16) to do a Pro-rider Video
week for us - just for guys like you who want to explore the off-piste in the back-country of La Clusaz.
They are great guys and provide all the avalanche kit as well as giving you a mini-seminar on avalanche safety.

The avalanche conditions and safety of the off-piste just depends what sort of snow we get over xmas and New Year.
If it's anything like last year it will be fab. The weather patterns so far are the same - so fingers crossed!!! wink
So there is such a thing as safe off-piste but Etale is gooooooood - especially off the side of the black from the top.
Also there are good bits tracking between Etale and Medassier. The best restaurant on that side of the mountain (or the whole of La Clusaz)
is without doubt the Telemark - JoJo and brother (with the incredible husky type eyes) run it and it offer fab vin chaud, hip crowds and good food

Also lots of off-piste to be found off the side of L'Aiguille and La Balme. Especially at Crintaux - the run to the far right as you are going off the top of Balme.
You will see loads of others tracking off near the top to get height, or make their way to the Combe de Bellachat, so you can't mss it.

But it's not open a huge amount as it is in the avalanche zone. We witnessed one starting half the way down the Crintaux piste last year.
Fortunately it had been roped off!

There is a fab area under the bottom of this run - also prone to late season avalanches which starts at the corner off one of the
long blues going back to the mid station restaurant. It offers acres of off-piste with some challenging gullies and wicked natural made kickers.
As does the end of the black over at Torcherie - although this isn't always open either. Don't attempt Bella-chat without a guide and be carefull
on the time of year. We have had avalanches in December and April there!

Anyway, I could go on forever! Madeye-Smiley - Better still drop me an email and if we get a chance maybe we could meet up in Saltos and show you
all the best bits on the piste map. We often take our guests out to show them around the pistes La Clusaz so maybe you could tag along too.

Cheers -Dave

p.s Don't forget Le Grand Bornand - there is some top off-piste spots there too and it's usually not as busy. We often take guests for a day out - over there
it's only 15mins by minibus and the Maroly area can be superb. We have spent many a day waist deep in powder try ridiculous jumps ans stunts - as you do!!

www.gravite.co.uk
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy