Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot advice for newbie please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Thanks for the great forum; I'm in danger of turning into a ski bore now that winter is looming, so great to have found you all. Skied for the 1st time in January, Courcheval 1850. Total novice but made some progress and was skiing some red runs by the end of the week (mainly as a triumph of undoubtedly unfounded confidence over technique). Looking to buy some boots as the hire pair left me hobbling around all evening as soon as I took them off. I have small feet, UK size 7, but they are also very narrow. In addition I have fallen arches; I wear molded insoles for sport as I have had knee problems in the past from too much running with unsupported arches. I am a 40 year old bloke. 5ft 9, 13stone, reasonably fit.

I have had a pair of custom footbeds made in preparation of getting my own boots, as I know I will need them (if not full orthotics). Unfortunately my fitter (EB) had few boots in my size when I collected the footbeds (going back this weekend as more in stock now) but I did try a pair of Head Edge 8.8 or 9.8 boots, which initially felt very comfortable (anything would compared to the hire boots I used), but my arches started aching within about 10 minutes. I put it down to my arches not being used to the support the footbeds were providing, possibly aggravated by the fact that the boots were too wide, but I am concerned that this ache may initially be present with all the boots I try on, which may make it difficult to choose the best pair.

I am also a little concerned that a lot of manufacturers only use a narrow last in their boots for advanced skiers, with wider, higher volume boots for lower standard/recreational skiers. As I have such small feet (the Head boot I tried was 25 & seemed OK for length), and as the smallest size for a number of men's boots is 25.5, my fitter said I may get more choice if I am prepared to consider boots from women's ranges. However, I was under the impression that women's boots were usually wider than the comparable men's model, so I am not sure this would actually help; I would potentially be compromising width fit for length fit, which I would have thought would be a worse idea.

So, any answers to the following questions would be greatly appreciated.

1 Does it sound as though my footbeds have been poorly made? Is it common to experience discomfort until the arch gets used to the support the footbed provides, or will any initial pain only get worse when wearing the boots for a full day's skiing?

2 Assuming that the footbeds have been properly made (the fitter was recommended by a couple of friends who are very good skiers, but neither of them has foot problems), will a narrower, better fitting boot reduce or eliminate pain at the "trying on" stage, or will I have to judge which boot is best with a degree of pain, hoping that it will reduce as my feet get used to the footbeds?

3 What are the main differences between men's and women's boots, and are they likely to be a decent fit for me bearing in mind I have such narrow feet and that I also have fairly chunky calves relative to my narrow ankles?

4 If I have to compromise between a better fitting boot that is ahead of my current standard and a poorer fitting boot with a more suitable flex, which is the better idea?

5 Should I consider the Fischer Somatec as a first boot, as I over pronate (the cause of aforementioned previous knee problems), or am I really better developing the basics with an ordinary boot before looking at anything more exotic?

I am prepared to try any boots the fitter suggests, but as I don't think I'll be an easy fit (is anyone?), I would appreciate a little advice so I can at least raise relevant points while being fitted. I would also like to apologise for my 1st post turning into a novel.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
johnnyboy, I am sure the "Booty Boys" will be along shortly

EDIT: Welcome to SnowHeads Very Happy
Embarassed for forgetting

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 19-10-06 21:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
johnnyboy, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

As Frosty the Snowman says, look for responses from the Small or Largezookeepers and CEM. They are our resident bootfitters and should be able to give you some advice.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
to offer my two-peneth - I'm an engineer, not a bootfitter.

from what I was told last year when I upgraded my boots, Head are one of the wider fitting boots, with Lange and Salamon being narrower.

That said wait for the bootfitter boys, to tell me I'm totally wrong!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnnyboy wrote:
Hi all

Thanks for the great forum; I'm in danger of turning into a ski bore now that winter is looming, so great to have found you all.

Excellent, we thrive on ski bores, welcome aboard. I can't help much with your boots but I'll bet the resident bootfitters will be along shortly.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
johnnyboy wrote:
the smallest size for a number of men's boots is 25.5

I got tecnica's last autumn, mondo 24, custom footbeds, etc. fit great - definitely not womens boots.

Had to fly down to London to get them though, after phoning round a number of retailers to find small sizes.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnnyboy, welcome to snowHead , now you ask a lot of questions Toofy Grin

as i say an awful lot on here [so people tell me] it is very difficult to comment on your feet & boots without seeing them, suffice to say the Head edge boot you were trying is one of the widest on the Market, they do make narrower, but only at the upper end. if your feet are really narrow and low volume you start to become verey limited in what is available, the manufacturers do not consider a very narrow boot comercial as only people with narrow feet can wear it, any one can wear a wide boot [not that it will fit]

As for size, pretty much every mens boot i an aware of is available in shell size 25.0/25.5 [they are the same] and in fact many of them are available in 24.0/24.5 it is just a case of finding a shop that stocks them.

you may have to compromise a little of flex in order to get the best fit, but there are ways to overcome this.

my best advice would be take a trip to Lockwoods in Leamington or to see the Smallzookeeper in Chamonix, as these guys have the best selection of narrow boots on the market

hope this helps a little, if you need any more info just ask
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnnyboy, 2006-1850 - crikey you must be the oldest man alive! And still skiing!! Well done you!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

johnnyboy, 2006-1850 - crikey you must be the oldest man alive! And still skiing!! Well done you!

I must admit, I felt like I was wearing those damn hire boots!

Thanks for the advice CEM, I would like to know about the footbeds though; is it common for there to be some pain initially until my arches get used to the support the footbeds are providing, or does this mean there is something wrong? Do they need "wearing in"?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy