Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach accomodation recommendations please

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry, I'm sure this has been done before but I missed it.

Largish (12+) group of us going to Saalbach for long weekend in late Jan. Location is the primary factor ... basically we want somewhere in the centre of the village handy for the lifts although an interesting place next to a piste or near good apres bars would be of interest.

A link to a decent website and/or map of the village would be handy as well .. the official one doesn't look too great.

Anybody know this place ?
http://en.venere.com/hotels_saalbach_hinterglemm/saalbach/hotel_interstar.html?ref=40769

looks quite good but I can't work out where it is.

Also .. what are the restaurants like ... any good or should we stick to half board?

I have actually been there a few times over the years but didn't like the last hotel we stayed in and I can't remember the names of the earlier ones.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go for 1/2 board if you can. My experience of trying to eat out in Saalbach was not a good one.

If you get in touch with the tourist office there, they will have details.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RichA,

Don't know where that is and can't make out where it is from the pic unless it is on the other side of the main road facing upto Schattberg Ost.

The village isn't that big anyway and you could walk top to bottom in 5 mins in ski gear.

I stayed at the Christanna which is a nice 4 * at the top of the village about a couple of mins walk from the main gondola out.
If you are anywhere near the main st in Sallbach then you aren't very far from anywhere important IMV

I can't recall much about the lay-out of Hinterglemm
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RichA, I really can't think where this hotel is - the address does say Saalbach but it doesn't ring any bells. Can only think its where JT says, with the black run coming down behind it. When I went last year I never managed to find a good on-line village map so if you do find one let us know!

There aren't many independent restaurants as most of the hotels are half-board. You can normally of course eat in the hotel restaurant even if you're not staying there. We stayed in the Saalbacher hof and great food it was too (and a nice hotel!) Enjoy your time there snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi there - we have stayed in saalbach a couple of times and wanted to go back on a diy trip last winter. We didn't make it but during my investigation into accommodation I came accross the Pension Enzian which is run by a British couple who were extremely friendly and helpful. We have made a promise to ourselves to stay with them if we ever get to go back. The owners are Kevin and Sarah Sherratt and the website is www.pensionenzian.com - have a look and see what you think. Good Luck, Loatie
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We stayed at the Alpen Hotel on the main street last January and had a fantastic stay. A bit pricey for our budget but you get what you pay for including excellent food. Herr Thomas and his beautiful wife Very Happy were very welcomming and made time to talk to everybody in the bar before dinner.

www.alpenhotel.at
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RichA, what dates are you going? There will be another 4 snowheads in Saalbach from the 26th Jan Wink

Sorry can't help on the accommodation, this will be our 1st time in Saalbach, but might be nice to meet for a stein or two Little Angel
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RichA, suspect you will have problems booking long w/e in Saalbach. I was trying for earlier than you and gave up. The place is so popular they're not interested in long w/e s only full weeks. The tourist office were quite good and found two places but one of those had already turned me down when approached directly so it all left a bit of a poor taste. We're going to Gastein valley now. Transfers are slightly less and a lot easier to get accomodation (spread out ski area though). http://www.gastein.com/
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Charlatanefc, 26th - 29th ... I'm sure we'll be having more than a few steins and if your mate's got his nice purple & green one piece on ( http://ian-kirwin.fotopic.net/p11603944.html ), I don't think we'll miss you.

Nickski, yeah, I thought that might be a problem .. probably be a case of emailing every hotel in the place .. did that in Ischgl a couple of Easter's ago and had over 80 rejections but there was one that could squeeze us in so it all worked out fine. There is an outfit at Salzberg aiport that do mini bus transfers for up to 8 people to all the resorts in the area for 99€ each way ... bit of a bargain if there's a few of you.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RichA, unfortunately he won't be there Wink Let us know if you get sorted with accommodation in Saalbach, and I'll PM you nearer the time with my mobi no Wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
loatie, Checked out the link to the Pension Enzian and it looked rather good. The one turn-off was though that the web site was a year out of date. I cannot believe how folks can invest in having a website and then not maintain it properly.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RichA, it's about 60 return from Salzburg ?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DAVID SNELL wrote:
loatie, Checked out the link to the Pension Enzian and it looked rather good. The one turn-off was though that the web site was a year out of date. I cannot believe how folks can invest in having a website and then not maintain it properly.

Looks a nice place but I couldn't work out where it is .. I hate it when they say 'short walk from the centre' but don't give the location .. 'short walks' are pretty subjective ... I have emailed them last week but no reply as yet.

Nickski, is that €60 per person? The €99 I mentioned is per minibus per leg so if there's 8 of you it works out at €16 a head return.

Charlatanefc, ok ..... from a fashion point of view I think it's just as well your mate's not going Very Happy !!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi again - I was idly surfing the Iglu offers and came across Pension Enzian!! From what I could make out it would appear that Crystal may have exclusive use of the Pension this winter although it is still owned by the same people. This could explain the mystery of the out of date website - shame because I doubt it will be possible to still book independently. We should have gone when we had the chance last year - such is life! Loatie
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
loatie, could also explain the no reponse from them .... they're probably sitting on a beach somewhere relaxing now they don't have to worry about filling the Pension .. did you manage to work out where it is ?
latest report
You're probably right there! I can't say I remember noticing it specifically when we were last in Saalbach but the description on Iglu says it's just above the Schattburg Gondola Station. I can't work out from the picture whether it's on the opposite side of the road but as you can ski to the door I think it must be unless they mean ski to door via the little nursery slope. Given that it's only a 2 minute walk though it sounds very central. Loatie
ski holidays
Hi Guys.

Following an email from David Snell and then viewing this thought I would drop you guys a line and let you know where we are. Would have done it sooner but I was funnily enough actually on a beach. That is because we have just got married not because the house is full for the winter Laughing
Crystal do have exclusivity on the rooms this winter until the 30th March so we are unfortunately unable to take private bookings and we are completely rebranding our website as we intend hopefully to go fully independant for the 07/08 season.

Ok, as to were we are. We are on the opposite side of the road to the Gondola Station and up a short road. It is literally a 60 second ski to the Schattberg Bridge where you can then cross the road to the Station. To give you an idea; turn right from the gondola station on the main road then there is a bridge on the left hand side, we are over that bridge and up the hill and around to the right. We are at the bottom of the wide piste near the bottom of the Schattberg.

Hope that helps with the location, drop by and pay us a visit when you are next in Saalbach
All the best
Kevin
latest report
Welcome to snowHead Pension Enzian,
snow report
RichA, have you got a link for the cheap transfer ?

Pension Enzian, good for you. Having failed to get there this season Saalbach is now on my must go list !
snow report
Nickski, what are you doing Jan 26th - 1st Feb?
snow report
Nickski, In terms of transfers, I've booked a return minibus with these people for €280 return between 8 people (£23 per person return). Will be there 14th to 21st Jan.
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, is that Charlieboys dates ? (+ you are now going ?) 'My lot' are supposed to be booking a late trip for around then but if it doesn't happen I may be knocking on your door.
snow conditions
Nickski, it is, it's part 1 of a 2 part Northern Genetlemens' trip Toofy Grin That's when we're in Saalbach, 1 Feb is when we move on to Zell am Zee for 3 nights.
ski holidays
Nickski, as Yoda might say, most welcome, you would be Wink
snow report
Pension Enzian, Hi really good for you to come back and join Snowheads. It is a great meeting place and being in the business I am sure you will have plenty to say. Saalbach is often in news in the forum with folks asking various questions, and needing various advice. Very Happy
latest report
Nickski wrote:
RichA, have you got a link for the cheap transfer ?

www.transferservice.at

€199 return for up to 8 people .. €25 a head.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 2-11-06 13:38; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Just been checking a few websites and it seems that snow is due to fall in Saalbach tomorrow. We're not going until 3rd March but let the countdown begin!!!! Can't wait Very Happy
snow report
As DAVID SNELL, said, Saalbach is a big favourite for SnowHeads. I will be there at Christmas... Keep us informed of every flake please!

snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think that's a job for Pension Enzian,
snow report
Oh well, I'll do it then......for now. 24cm forecast over the next two days.

The webcams on snow-eye are showing white mountains!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Just been looking myself. Nice to see some white stuff where I want my skis to be in 52 days' time!

snowHead
snow conditions
Hi guys, yep the first snow arrived we had a continuous fall for about 48 hours, great start. We now have blue skies but it is still cool snow the snow on the mountains will now be staying. We had a good 2 feet in the village and much more up top. Will keep you all up to date with whats happening.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy