Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Poles

Poster: A snowHead
I am off to the Ski show today and thought I might have a look at some new poles, (only so I dont buy a new jacket rolling eyes ) my current poles are heavy and have a big bend in one of them Shocked
I really dont want to spend a fortune and did see some K2's in EB at MK last week but they didnt have the shorter poles (110cms) rolling eyes
So what should I be looking for?
Any thoughts snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ooooh - lots of pretty colours and flowers and things, to match your skis... Little Angel
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Michelle, I dont have flowers on my ski's rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Linds, Then all the more reason to have them on your poles!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Laugh out loud...

Why not match them with the colour of your hair?

Ladies, ladies.... snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Linds, ....if at all possible, narrow your choice to a pair of poles, without a big bend in one of them...... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Linds, A pair of Scott poles will be hard to beat.............an egg with................... Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
maggi, White Gold, BernardC, SMALLZOOKEEPER,
Easyski would never talk to me if I turned up with flowers and polka dots rolling eyes
Will have a look and see if there are any Scott ones.
BernardC, My bent pole is from the time I skied (attempted to ski) with Martin Bell NehNeh and I ended up in the hospital Shocked NehNeh
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Linds wrote:
....and have a big bend in one of them Shocked

Wasn't that Martin Bell's fault? Laughing

I like the grip/strap on the Scott poles. They're handed & the strap is 'held open' which makes it easy to get your hand in & out even when it's adjusted for a snug fit.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Linds, .......you ended up in hospital.....but what I want to know is where the ski pole ended up.....??? Toofy Grin

You have intimated "Going for the jugular" previously,... but did you really stick it...........

PS

I am sold on the LEKI 'Trigger Grip', which releases the pole from the wrist, much like a binding release. Very safe in powder, trees, etc. Did the offending & 'big bent' pole cause your hospitalisation?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had a look at the Show yesterday and dispite help from Parlors mate who is working on the S&R stand Laughing
I didnt get any Sad
Scott poles are fine if you got big hands and Leki Trigger were the same.
Prices on the standard K2's I had seen in EB at MK last week seemed to be higher at the show. I will look again at 2's Alps whilst attending the PSB and hope to have my snowHead shopping advisers in tow Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I got the pretty Armada AR6's coz they have removable handles and baskets for when I break them.

A pole is a pole is a pole, I only got the AR6 coz they were free!

My other half uses trekking poles from Boundary Mill, £7.50 a pair, break em, chuck em away!

Easy

A
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just learned the hard way that when ski poles say in an online shopping cart "quantity 1" it means 1 PAIR.
O well, at least I can afford to break a couple now hehehe
mug!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

A pole is a pole is a pole

Sorry to disagree with you adam_button, but I have found there are a lot of different poles out there rolling eyes
Heavy or Light, carbon whatsit or titanium.
Large and small grips
Straps rolling eyes well you could (if even sadder than me) start a whole thread on ski pole straps, clip-ins, the ones with the staps you put your thumb through, round the wrist ones snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hey gang.

Linds - one thing springs to mind - I strongly recommend poles that have handle grips covered in a soft rubbery type material (don't know the technical name for this type of stuff), and not just hard plastic as is standard on budget poles/ hire poles. This really helps your gloves grip the poles, and can also take a bit of the sting out of impacts where hand bone/joints are sandwiched between pole/snow/etc... I never ski with straps wrapped around my wrists - I perceive these as a danger to my arms/wrists/hands - when I wipe out I prefer to yard sale my poles, get them as far away from my tumbling/sliding body as possible to minimise risk of injury...

(I've got Scott poles with handles like described above - only cost about £20-25)
ski holidays
Have to agree with White Gold, broken ribs caused by pole impact whilst crashing, never use the straps now.
snow conditions
Linds, (I really dont want to spend a fortune) (But I have found there are a lot of different poles out there). Yes there sure are and I think to an extent you get what you pay for, quality, strength, lightness etc.
I'm surprised you find the Scott grips to big, my children have small hands and have no problem. You might be able to get some Scott childrens pole in a 110 but they won't be as strong as the adults. I found the grips so comfortable I took a set off one of their old pairs and gave my own old poles a new lease of life. Very Happy
latest report
White Gold and Pumba, thanks for your comments snowHead
Quote:

handle grips covered in a soft rubbery type material (don't know the technical name for this type of stuff), and not just hard plastic as is standard on budget poles/ hire poles.

Saw this stuff yesterday and we snowHead while having a beer or two (as we do Laughing ) were discussing pole wrist staps and should we be using them.
I have a bent pole where my ankle landed on my pole in powder and I was glad on that occassion I had wrist staps or I would never have found the pole again rolling eyes
Im sure EB had some Scott poles with those soft grey grips for around £30.
snow conditions
I *think* I may have broken a small bone in my hand last season from falling on a ski pole handle (didn't go to the doc so don't know for sure but it took a good 8 weeks to heal). As a result I bought Leki poles with the trigger system. Not sure which model you looked at, Linds, but mine have the "power strap" thingy (coz that's what they came with) and they have a huge amount of adjustment for hand size.
snow report
Buy ski-germans instead. They work promptly. NehNeh
latest report
Last season I got some lovely kiddies K2 poles in a 110 size. Very light and I loved them. Then Mr Docsquid said they were too short and I needed 115's. I duly found a pair late season in Courchevel (also K2 as they are very light and have nice squishy handles), and gave the 110's to the ski school. Then I was told that the 115's are too long, and I should have kept the 110's after all. Unfortunately we were only allowed one pair of poles each in our luggage, so they have now gone.

I am a bit miffed, because getting good 110 poles isn't easy!
snow conditions
docsquid, Could you not have got Mr Docsquid to cut the 115's down. (I think most can be cut) The Scott childrens 110 race poles might suit.
snow conditions
I think I'm going to sell my poles this year. PM me if you are interested ... only one careful owner

don't get expensive poles ... and don't listen to somebody who wants to sell you longer poles than you need ... and then offers to cut the bottom off them when you bring them back saying that they are too long Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
smolo, I think most people would like a straight matching pair. Toofy Grin I presume (hope) you are joking about shortening poles from the bottom.
ski holidays
gsb, mis-matching poles ... guaranteed anti-theft !!!

You should have seen the blue one before I managed to straightened it out enough to get down to the restaurant Shocked

I better not say too much Twisted Evil but ...

This has happened to a Swedish "free-skiing" mate of mine. He wanted new poles, went in to the shop and said what size he wanted. he was told that he should get poles 5cms longer. Skied witih them for a day and decided they were too long. Brought them back to the shop but was told he couldn't change them for the original size that he requested but that the man in the shop would cut 5cm off the bottom.

Hopefully one person on the forum will know what I"m talking about wink
snow conditions
smolo, was he sized with hand under basket? Laughing
snow report
Sounds like it! Don't they cut off from the top anyhow Puzzled This method is surely the only possible remedy Madeye-Smiley
snow report
smolo, I have previously taken handle off and used a pipe bender inside pole so it does not kink when bending the kids poles back straight.

White Gold, yes from the top.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gsb, I'm an expert at unbending poles Very Happy the trick is to not unbend them on your knee. Use something soft, like a couch or matress to lean the bend in the pole against. However if you happen to bend the pole to near right angles when you are on the side of a mountain with no matress close by, you are in the merde.

White Gold, The best rememy possible would have been for the person who sold the poles to take them back and give the customer the correct size ones.
ski holidays
Smolo - you're telling me kiddo! I wouldn't have accepted anything less! Smile
ski holidays
Not sure about Poles, i like spanish or french people myself lol

A
snow conditions
I like White Gold never use my straps after a broken thumb incident - it wasn't a big fall and i could not work out what had happened even after the concussion subsided. My favourite ski guide (very french) asked me if i used my pole straps, when I said yes he muttered something under his breath whilst shaking his head... I haven't used them since and have taken plenty of tumbles without repeating this injury.
latest report
I use the Leki poles with the trigger grip mechanism and can recommend them - although they do take getting used to.

Whilst you can get ordinary hand loops with them, I use the "glove attachment" that you put on around / with your glove (once it's on you can leave it on).

Once you're used to them they're a doddle to get on and off and release when you fall - so the broken thumb is much less likely. The fact that the pressure is spread around the hand would also probably reduce the risk of injury.

My experience is that they're much cheaper to buy in resort.

They also do a very nice version with a screw off handle and built in spirits flask!
snow report
Quote:

I like the grip/strap on the Scott poles. They're handed & the strap is 'held open' which makes it easy to get your hand in & out even when it's adjusted for a snug fit.

that sounds good. Was glad to see this thread as I have often wondered about the pros and cons of different poles, and I like the idea of very light poles which are easy on the hands, as I suffer from arthritis in the fingers. Getting them back on after a long icy chairlift ride with straps frozen stiff is a struggle. At least snowboarding gives your hands a break from poles, and a board is a lot easier to carry than a pair of skis and poles. Maybe I'll look for some different poles, and think about the alternatives to using a wrist strap too. Is the injury risk reduced if you use poles the way instructors always tell you - hanging from the hand then down onto the grip?
snow conditions
pam w - definitely have a look at the Leki poles.

You have a stap around your gloves and a plastic lug projects between your thumb and forefinger. All you do to attach the pole is hold the pole with one hand; spread your thumb / forefinger and push the plastic lug into the hole.

To unrelease yourself you press a button on the top of the pole. I use my thumb - but you could use the other hand.

There's a picture here - the picture in the middle shows the glove strap pushed into the pole.
snow conditions
I use the Leki trigger grips too and am very pleased with them. A lot easier than fumbling with frozen straps.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy