Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Non-baggy skipants?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

During the last winter me and a friend been wondering about people wearing the in our opinion much nicer tight/non-baggy skipants.

I've been looking at several ski shops and the largest of them all was able to tell me they are not made for men anymore Sad

He had like 1 or 2 pairs of ladies versions, but considering the 'slightly' different characteristics of a womans body i doubt that would be a suitable posibility Smile

Does anybody know a place where they still have such? Or otherwise simply schematics how to make them and materials used ? (the mother knows how to use a sewing machine)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What do you mean with non-baggy? Try soft shell pants which usually are a lot tighter and closer cut than the hard shell and well stuffed consumer models.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I bought some North Face ones last year, which weren't excessively roomy. Admittedly they are bird pants, but the blokes versions were of a similar cut.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have an old pair of strechy Berghaus ones that I no longer use.....when Berghaus made good stuff
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
demos, soft shell, hard shell Confused

everything I see is soft in my books... after all it does need to bend around the knee Wink
What I look for should be warm, without adding 4 inches to my legs Wink

Lizzard, I see lots of North face stuff, but nothing that i consider non-baggy/sloppy/wide.

The salesman pointed me at some quality Tenson stuff, which has a pad on the inside so you don't cut your pants with your skis (not tenson exclusive). (I have a few cuts in my current ones, which are "not so expensive")
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ronald, soft shell means it stretches if you put a fist or knee into it- no membrane.

Schneider USA is no longer the same as it was for good reason but I have a set of these (in red, DM would be proud wink )

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 18-10-06 18:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ronald, are you looking for a pair of tights? Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard, maybe his friends don't know how to check for soft shell wear. Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ronald, I ski in soft shell gear by Haglofs. It's quite closely cut and I find it very likeable. It's not thick, but it's not just a hard shell material either. Check their website and try to find pictures of people actually wearing that stuff, as it usually is more neatly around the body than ordinary ski trousers.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lizzard, I have plenty of tights I use for rowing, running, cycling, but they are not warm enough at subzero temperatures at speed, as they're not at all windproof, nor do they keep the snow out of your boots Wink

demos, your description Might just be close to what I look for, will take a look at the site and see:)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How about these?

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wow. Where did you find those. My days of youth have suddenly come to mind. Everyone wore that stuff then!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
These are the ones I wear - close cut enough? Not quite like the adidas 80s, but considerably neater lines than usual shells... And they are totally wind and snow-proof, as any good soft shell would be these days.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't see the problem -if you want closer fitting pants then there are plenty of options like Patagucci, Arc'teryx , other softshell mountaineering pants, Goretex XCR etc.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ronald, you won't really want anything like what Lizzard, is pimping. No thermal insulation to talk of, no water resistance. About as much practical mountain use as your running tights. Why do you think no-one wears them anymore?

Anyway, just to contradict the "big" ski shop you spoke to, shows just how little they know. If you really, really want a pair try any decent ski racing supplier (e.g. Bartlett's). They'll have of of pairs in as lairy a set of colours as you might want.

They're designed for racing and precious little else, unless you are in fact a Ronaldette and have a particularly firm bum.
ski holidays
I think I saw some nice figure numbers my ACG (Nike sub brand) in TK Maxx and thought to myself, goodness who would buy those Wink I did though. In Hammersmith. Twisted Evil
latest report
parlor, I have ACG pants and one thing they ain't is skin tight Toofy Grin
latest report
David Murdoch, if people wear it in -10C it should be reasonable Smile

The Haglofs demos is showing looks pretty good to be honest, and since its all modern stuff it should be okay right?

and 'big shop' meaning they are much more dedicated then the remainder of the bunch around here, who are basically outdoor sports, camping etcetera and stock a few skis for winter :/
snow conditions
You can wear the comp gear in -10 for the time you ski down the hill - otherwise you cover yourself, totally, to keep warm... Lizzard is just pulling your leg - those were the days, really. I wore them, they worked in Finland, if the weather was cool and not too cold, or not too wet (like half of the time).

Otherwise, the soft shell products are very good these days. Haglofs is not the only one - but I have a fetish for them. Scandinavian, technical and still not very much worn outside the Nordics.

You should better check mountaineering shops which cater for ski and trekking.
snow conditions
There is a shop who have Haglofs nearby (one of the few of not only) Got some liner gloves from Haglofs from them, so going there and ask them about this...

demos, you don't by chance have the name Haglofs call your pants right wink (only very small pics on Haglofs.se)
latest report
Ronald, "big shop" meaning UK ski supermarket targetting the 1 week a year average Brit skier. Limited stock, limited knowledge, limited experience - IMHO.

But, I should have asked - what do you wnt them for? If you are competitively ski touring then you probably want something akin to your cycling pants.

Haglofs stuff looks excellent - a chum has a full set and is well delighted. I believe it's quite good value for money.
snow report
demos, e-Bay, where else? They were being sold as 'retro'and 'rare'. 'Rubbish' would be nearer the mark.
snow conditions
Lizzard, That's fantastic stuff. I should check out if any of our skipants would still hang around at my dads... I hope you didn't pay too much. Though I would like to charge a lot of course for getting my things out.

David Murdoch, Haglofs is indeed good. But it's on the expensive side unfortunately. And hard to come by outside Nordics in my opinion.
latest report
Lizzard wrote:
I bought some North Face ones last year, which weren't excessively roomy. Admittedly they are bird pants, but the blokes versions were of a similar cut.

...... the mens version have a "dancing cut".

Plenty of Ballroom Laughing

(I can't believe how much mileage I've gotten out of this joke)
snow conditions
Lizzard, I too have a pair similar. Paid a fiver for them in Zara a few years ago, no idea of the make and wore them on several trips (for a dare wink ). They were quite comfy and (surprisingly) warm and waterproof. Sadly due to my expanding waistline they no longer fit. Ronald, if you want them send me a pm and I'll post them on. No idea of size but I'm 5'8" and when they fitted, 32" waist and 70kg dripping wet. Laughing
snow conditions
halfhand, oh come on, they look great on a slightly overweight middle-aged man - look at those sexy Italians you see in Montgenevre on the weekends!
ski holidays
You want pants - see bloke on the right
http://www.gaperhunter.com/images/large/0817131639dscn3997.JPG

maybe there's something in your current wardrobe you could use (better to tuck them in your boots)
http://www.gaperhunter.com/index.php?id=365&curmonth=052006

say it with flowers
http://www.gaperhunter.com/index.php?id=327&curmonth=042006

but trousers/pants are only half the story
http://www.gaperhunter.com/index.php?id=141&curmonth=012006
ski holidays
Lizzard, I'm beginning to get an insight in to your mind (a dark and scary place Skullie ). Maybe I'll post a pic - should keep the trolls of the forum. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Erm...I have a pair very similar to Lizzard's (OK...all black and Rodeo rather than Adidas), and still wear them every week for race training. Oh....and I did the Haute Route in them too (although they were a bit too warm for that).

Quote:
on a slightly overweight middle-aged man
...fits the bill I suppose Sad
snow report
Why on this earth would you want to look either like:

1. A child sex pervert

or

2. Some kind of 80's ski throwback - aka the Gapers!

Tight pants indeed, big is the way to go, plent of room to breathe and more insulating!

Layer, air, layer air etc....

A
ski holidays
adam_button, I'm sure demos will like your comment a lot, assuming you actually read the thread like a wise man would before posting.

Add something constructive, or don't comment please, the haglofs demos showed does't make you look like a 300 pound gorilla, which i'm far from, nor are they non-insulating tights.
snow conditions
Ronald, Ah, I don't have to comment much. As long as my wife likes the looks and considers what I wear stylish (and me myself consider technical enough), I really don't care more. It's true though that a minimalistic pant/jacket combo could, with some standards, seem a bit homo-esthetic. Well, there you go. Will there be another comment on that issue now?

I can put two layers inside the pants, and actually one good layer underneath is plenty. Too much air between layers is counterproductive anyway, unless you really have the balls to protect...
snow report
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but those pants demos shows ... They're Haglöfs, but what is the the product name? I checked out the website and there are so many different pant and those in the picture here look so good to me! Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
As it turns out I've got a haglofs catalog in front of me. Looks like the OMNI II pant. Haglofs do about 6 different soft shell pants.
snow report
Thanks a lot, kiwi1, I 'll look into that!!
snow conditions
Strid, Yes, they are OMNI pants - two years now. So probably OMNI II is now the answer.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy