Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner Resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm looking at taking my Sister and 5 year old niece skiing early next year. So was just wondering if anyone could suggest a good place for beginners to start, as neither of them have skied before. I have been several times, so would also like somewhere with a few challenging runs too. I would also prefer somewhere traditional and quite scenic.

Any ideas?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obergurgl, if budget is not a problem. Not exactly difficult though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
La Tania maybe. It has a decent nursery slope, and is not too expensive. There are a couple of english-speaking ski schools, friends of mine used Magic in Motion without complaint. The runs back to resort are not the easiest but you can download by gondola. There is a new "green" but it is more like a blue. Word has it they will "improve" it for the coming season.
A good place to take kids as it is small and mainly pedestrianised. Not stunning to look at but no eyesore either. Easy access to the 3V for better skiers/boarders. Apres limited to a few decent bars, but I've been to a lot worse.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
davejsy, I think Megève would fit your bill, provided you're not going at either extremity of the season, when access to novice pistes is a bit chancey.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks guys, I'm liking the look of Obergurgl
at the mo -any idea where I can find a decent piste map for there?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.

Puzzled
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alpe d'Huez - big beginners area served by the main gondola. Good non-skiing for kids as well - skating, swimming, sledging area.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Courchevel 1850 or 1650, or Vallandry (part of the Les Arcs domain) are all very suitable. Good range of terrain suitable for beginners, very good British ski school in each resort, and possible to ski back home to you hotel/chalet at the end of the day which some people think is important.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
would second Alpe d'Huez....or Ellmau in Austria, massive nursery slopes, plenty to do off the snow and scenery is great.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Soldeu would probably fit the bill quite nicely too. Plenty of gentle slopes for the beginners - and the ski school has a very (very) high percentage of native English speaking instructors, which is always a plus when you're learning. The childrens section of the ski school is very good too - and they make use of Disney themed 'parks' to make the learning even more interesting for younger kids.

In addition to all of that, it's in a fairly large ski domain (GrandValira - nearly 200kms) and there is plenty of terrain for yourself within easy reach - ski over to Pas de la Casa via Grau Roig whilst they're in lessons, or just potter around above Soldeu and El Tarter.

Soldeu itself is an attractive little village - and if you stay in one of the Sport hotels, you're right by the gondola (not to mention being in very good accomodation). It's also good value - not cheap, but certainly not the excesses of some places!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davejsy, here's what I thought of Obergurgl:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=109339

We learnt to ski elsewhere, but from memory it's probably quite a nice place to learn - the nursery slopes are in the village and there's a nice area to progress to once you've moved from the nursery slopes. There are relatively few drag lifts... in fact the only ones on the main slopes are over in Hochgurgl. The village is nothing special, but does have a pretty fine set of ski shops.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
just to confuse things further, ill put my weight behind alpe d'huez.
Spent two of my first weeks there and loved it, some nice wide easy slopes central to the resort so they dont have to go miles up on a lift, which is daunting for some beginners and good craic with the ice rink etc:)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davejsy, Morzine, Les Gets, Avoriaz would all work and give you considerable scope to have your own fun. Easy transfers from Geneva, lots of accomodation espcially in January, Avoriaz not terribly traditional but dramatic and convenient.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One of the advantages of taking beginners to Andorra is that the Andorran resorts have a lot of ski instructors who speak English as their first language. Some might argue that they're not as good skiers/teachers as someone that's been living in the mountains all their lives but they should have the right skills to get a couple of beginners going.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alpe D'huez- excellent ski school for little ones!
snow report
I'd back Alpe D'Huez as well. Wide-open, nice, gentle lower slopes. Lots of contented looking families when I was there. Also plenty for other skiers as well. Not "Alpine charm" - but a friendly pace, I thought. Flaine is another French resort which looked good for beginners to me.
latest report
thanks everyone, much will depend on where my Sister can fly to the easiest, as she lives in Gran Canaria, so I imagine its going to be Geneva probably.
snow report
I'd back up the suggestion of Les Gets / Morzine if you are flying into Geneva. Quick transfer and very nice mix of skiing - pretty too. Les Gets may be the easier of the two if you are going to go off and do your own thing and then meet them back at nursery slopes.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy