Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding positions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello fellow snowHead's!

I got a pair of K2 fujatives last season, altho I am tempted to get this years version..... (i kinda prefer the graphics more... yes, i know, very vain Very Happy)
Mainly got them because they suited me when testing them and cheap. However i didn't pay much attention to the positioning of the bindings at the time, which are mounted off centre, i.e. a few cm back from the middle; just wondered what difference does this make in terms of normal piste skiing, using them in the park and in powder? And if I get them re-mounted, what difference, if any would it make to the strength of the ski and my ability to say, actually pull off some tricks?

Oh and I guess I would class myself as an intermediate skier, can handle reds and blacks..... don't like moguls(!!!) and am attempting to learn (get the courage) to get into a bit of freestyle.

Cheers!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cee, of our regular posters, I think spyderjon is the expert on these matters. You could send him a PM if he doesn't turn up to answer this.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cee, Sorry but I'm not familiar with the K2 Fujative bindings locations......I think WTFH & Edmund009 are up to speed on the K2's, however the basic premis is that the more forward the position (within reason) helps turn initiation.

The ski's various binding location markings are basically designed for mounting for 'Mr Average' so they're going to be ok but not the best for 'you'. I'm a fan of the using the Campbell Balancing method for determining individual binding location but only once any boot balancing/alignment work has been done. There aren't any Campbell Balancers in the UK & I'm in the process of manufacturing my own. My recommendation would be to mount your bindings so that your Ball of Foot is over the CRS (Centre of Running Surface) of the ski. Any competent tech should be able to do that for you.

However, the above mounting method is for piste/off-piste use & I'm not sure how this location would work for park use. I think that the ideal locations for general use & park use are likely to be different so you'll probably have to compromise if you're planning on doing both.

Re-drilling once shouldn't weaken the ski for normal use providing the old holes are properly plugged etc - not sure for jumps though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cee, Are you saying you want to get more into freestyle? if so, moving the mounting point towards the middle wil improve the ability to ski switch, swing weight, doing rails etc, so it will be a substantial difference. Normal piste-type carving will be trickier though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cee, as skibomb said - mounting them nearer the middle will make them easier to ride switch, etc, but will make piste and powder skiing more difficult.

As for re-drilling, it depends where they are currently mounted, and where you want to remount them - if it is only to move them 1cm forward or back, then I would advise against it, as the two sets of holes will be pretty close together, which could cause problems.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cee, so long as any holes are 10mm apart or more there is NO PROBLEM with redrilling skis (within reason, you don't want swiss cheese to slide on)

anything less and the ski should be helicoiled and within reason not a major problem, wouldn't want to do to many like that if you are hitting bumps, jumps & rails etc.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So, new job -> more money -> another pair of skis.... seems like a plan Cool

Oh well, I can dream Sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cee, how far out are they?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wear The Fox Hat, front part of the binding is about 4-5 cm from where the markings say core center.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cee, OK, do you see a marking that says "Mid sole mark"?
Now, put a ski boot in the bindings - is there a mark on the side of the boot - about half way along. Does it line up with the Mid sole mark, or where does it line up?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wear The Fox Hat, it doesn't line up on the mid sole mark, but on the +3cm mark. Also, just noticed one of the screws on the binding is coming loose, such that i can see part of the screw in between the binding and ski, but i cant seem to tighten it down.... any suggestions?

Thanks
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cee wrote:
that i can see part of the screw in between the binding and ski, but i cant seem to tighten it down.... any suggestions?

Thanks

Take it to the shop before that puppy rusts.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cee, what comprex says!
As for where they are mounted - that's about perfect (in my book) for 50% on piste, 40% park, 10% powder. Moving them forward from there, and forget about powder, and lose a lot of control on piste at anything faster than a slow walking pace. If you just want them for the park, take them forward maybe another 2cm, but don't blame me when they handle like a big steaming pile of poo when you're facing forward, and on the snow. Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers for the advice, will go to my local dry slope (Christchurch) / shop and get them to look at the binding. Always an pain when I go in there, always end up buying stuff! Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy