Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hi, first post.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. First post. I have a job in les gets this season and thought I should sign up to a ski forum and talk skiing.

First off, there doesn't seem to be a search function. Is this true. I was interested in the most difficult runs in the world and thinking about the Wall in Avoriaz but don't know if I'm good enough to tackle it. Has anyone skied this run and if so can you tell me about it. Apologies if this topic has een exhausted already.

look forward to contributing!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi skiben, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

You have to search for the search function - hidden in the User Facilities at the base of the mountains (picture in top left of page). Can't help you with your query but I'm sure others will be along who can
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skiben, welcome to snowHeads snowHead Never been to Avoriaz, so I can't help you there... cathy's instructions for finding the search facility are accurate - you could also follow this link
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skiben, welcome to snowHeads! I haven't skiied the Wall yet, but maybe some day. When do you leave for Les Gets?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat, that's 'skied' with ONE 'i'. As is skier, skis etc. Everything except 'skiing' in fact. Sorry, that one's been p!ssing me right off recently.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skiben, welcome! When I was in Morzine last season, I made my way over to the Avoriaz/Swiss border via Chatel and Morgins - only to find that the runs between Switzerland and Avoriaz were closed (had planned to go up to Avoriaz from Morgins and then back over to Switzerland to do the Wall), alas I did not do it because of the conditions. Although plenty of stories about it - generally people going down it on their back bottoms and taking out half the resort, and of course the moguls the size of chalets! There was an article on the most difficult runs in the world (including the Wall) in the Telegraph a few years ago - here it is!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 17-10-06 19:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skiben, welcome to snowHead 's. I haven't skiied the Wall either. But if I did there's a fair chance i'd be piiiiiising my pants Very Happy Lizzard, NehNeh
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skiben, Welcome to sHs. snowHead

I've been to Avoriaz but I haven't skied the Wall, nor am I likely to. Skullie
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skiben, Welcome to snowheads. I'm sure you'll have a great season - what are you going to do in Les Gets? I've never skied the Avoriaz wall, but I daresay David Murdoch will be along soon, and I know he has. Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skiben, Welcome to snowHead
I skiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiied into a wall once, but I suppose that is no help Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skiben, Welcome to snowHeads

The wall in Avoriaz form memory ( the last time I skied it was 1987) had quite a large drop down through a cornice or a steep traverse. Once you were past that it became a steep mogul field with the down hill side of the mogul 4 and 4 meters long. At the time it was challenging probably my 3rd or 4th season. Don't know how much the run has changed but there are some far more challenging runs Delirium dive at Sunshine springs to mind for that run you go through a control gate and must have full avalanche gear and must be part of a group. Some guys on here will have more info and be better qualified to discuss the most difficult runs in the world.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks for the responses guys

I leave November 19 for Chamonix, a weeks management training course there then off to Les Gets for set up week (and day off for skiing)

I'll be assistant chalet manager for a big chalet comprising 4 sub chalets, can't wait. food ordering, overseeing hosts, cleaning on saturdays, admin, stock control, inventories, guest welfare, reporting stuff thats gone wrong (although the chalet is being renovated as we speak, they're knocking through the walls and starting from scratch i think, so hopefully everything will work and is ready by the time I get there Puzzled )

I did a season in champoluc last year as chalet host it was great but v hard at first. I've also skied in bad Gastein, Alpbach 4X, serre chevalier and La thuile. i really want to make a breakthrough this year with my skiing.

ben
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Skiben, I'm new here as well so we're both in the same boat. I have skied in Avoriaz for the last 15years and feel I'm qualified enough to say congratulations on choosing les Gets, it's an awesome resort. In fact I was there for a couple of weeks in the summer!!

Le mur/The swiss wall is nowhere near what is cracked up to be!! I first skied it when I was 12 and I genuinely believe it's more a phsychological battle than anything else. If you're in the PDS for the season you should definitely make it one of your goals to ski it! Although I must warn you it gets a lot easier as the season progresses and there develops a heavy base over all those interesting rocks and the black ice becomes less!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
wacky jacky,

Tell me more about Les Gets! where to go at night, hotels, etc. My parents and sisters want to visit me but the only major operator is first choice but they don't have a first rate choice of hotels. I would appreciate if you could give me some info on everything to do with the resort. Best runs as well

Thanks, Ben
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
wacky jacky,

Tell me more about Les Gets! where to go at night, hotels, etc. My parents and sisters want to visit me but the only major operator is first choice but they don't have a first rate choice of hotels. I would appreciate if you could give me some info on everything to do with the resort. Best runs as well

Thanks, Ben
ski holidays
skiben, welcome to snowHead 's
snow conditions
skiben, the challenge presented by The Wall, like lots of runs, depends on the snow cover. With good cover, and fairly new snow, it is just a difficult run. The problem is that loads of people who shouldn't really do it are tempted to try, by its reputation, and by the fearsome signs at the top just designed to egg on the daft boys who have a few weeks skiing under their belt, rather than deter them. The truth is that people do come awful croppers and fall a long way, losing skis etc - so the chance of being taken out by some daft punter who should never have tried it is reasonably high.

So - have I done it? No. There is a chairlift down, and the time I was there the snow was extremely thin and icy, and I didn't like the look of it at all. My opinions didn't change as I went down the chairlift - the first section was steep, and icy, and rocky, and etc. However, I don't remember it resembling a "couloir" - more like a Wall, in fact! A wide, steep, drop off and a very long way down if you start falling.

I'm sure you'll do it during your season, because you'll be able to choose your day, and if you go down in the chairlift the first time you can suss it out.

There are loads of UK TOs who go to Les Gets, so your folks should be able to find accommodation without too much problem, especially if they avoid the French school hols. As usual in France you can readily find self catering accommodation through the tourist office. There are two "sides" to the skiing, and a little train which trogs around between the two lift stations, saving you a hike in ski boots. Though last time I was there it stopped, in very French fashion, for two hours at lunch time!

Being there for a season you will no doubt do the whole of the PDS, and get to know all the best places. Have a great time!
snow conditions
skiben, welcome. Of course, to search this site, as any other you can use Google, rather than the site search facility. So you may enter
Quote:
xxxx xxxx site:snowheads.com

where xxxx xxxx are your search key words. So, if you wished to find out about - say - terms and conditions, you would type
Quote:
terms conditions site:snowheads.com
and get this - with the first line being a bulls-eye.
ski holidays
Nice place Les Gets. Just in the middle of booking another week there for this season Smile Certainly a popular place.

Not skiied the wall, and haven't really felt the urge. Every time I go that way, I'm towards the end of a circuit of the PdS heading back towards Avoriaz / Ardent.

Le petit train in Les Gets is handy, but I always seem to just miss it. The last 2 years I've been there though, they have laid a snow path from the Chavannes side to Mont Chery lift. You just need to peel off on the right, rather than continue to the Chavannes chair+bubble. If you do it right, you only need to remove skis to cross the main road outside the Chery bubble - the other roads can be skiied or stepped over depending on weather.
ski holidays
skiben, Les Gets, the wall is not that harder run, if the snow conditions are ok, there are some biggish moguls. There is a lively Aussie bar in town if my memory serves me correctly (it was 4 years ago). Puzzled
snow report
Did the wall once in fairly icy conditions in 1989. I was an even more inadequate skier then than I am now. Fell 5 times, lost skis twice, and my thumb hurt for 3 months. The main problems seemed to be the first 5 or 6 bumps which were quite high and steep and required a good speed-control technique with lots of flex and extension into the valleys. I didn't manage that and that set the tone. But done way more challenging skiing since. Go for it.

Les Gets - a great choice - happy memories. Have fun.
snow report
I read somewhere that the steep part of the Wall averages 34 degrees, which is very steep for a piste, but not so steep in absolute terms. However it would be much easier if it didn't usually have big moguls.
Here is a photo (click to enlarge and the wall is at the top in the distance).
snow report
I have done the Wall in fresh snow and its a pussy cat (OK after dropping over the initial cornice). In icy conditions it was a monster and I fell quite some distance. skiben, I didn't find anything comparable in Champoluc but coming back from Alagna down Eagle Gully might be a fair comparator. you'l find plent equivalent runs in Argentiere on the Grand Montets

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 18-10-06 11:47; edited 1 time in total
snow report
do they have a 'wall' in all resorts??? we have one here in serre che on Luc Alphond run into chantemerle, i love it!

welcome to snowHead
latest report
Did the Wall last year, in spring conditions. It is steep for a "piste" altho I think it is actually classified as an itinerary rather than a black run. Apart from some "real" off-piste, it is certainly the steepest run I've skied. The top does feel like a cliff edge but you just have to get on with it - standing there dawdling won't make it look any better! It does shallow out a bit after the first 40-50 metres, which makes it a lot easier.

For the record, I didn't do it very well. It was the first morning of my holiday, and it didn't look that bad from below. So I did a quick blue and a red to warm up then threw myself off the top. It took my legs a while to remember how to ski moguls unfortunately! So the moral is: work up to it, it is not a standard black run. Whether you are good enough skiben, only you can decide, but if you are there for the whole season you can pick and choose the conditions. And yes it is usually busy, sometimes with skiers who aren't quite good enough, but if we never pushed ourselves we'd all still be on the greens, wouldn't we? Very Happy
ski holidays
skiben, top tip for starting your season in Les Gets. Head to Bar Bush and then take your leads from there. Becomes a bit of a gathering point for seasonal staff (as does the Boomerang). Bush is one of the nearest bars to where you'll be too (sounds like the Chaumiere from what you have said). As for the wall - have done it three times on skis and one time on bum. If you get good snow and are feeling fit go for it. If the snow is dodgy and it is full flailing punters the lift down will be far more entertaining!
ski holidays
Do they ever groom it? (I've seen a very steep slope groomed at Les Arcs with one machine on the flat at the top winching another up and down on a steel cable).
snow report
skiben, Any say hi to FIG and his lovely wifey.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Go for it if you are there for a season! If you manage the first 20-40m I think you'll be fine. I didn't do it as it looked rather icy but in decent snow I'd have given it a go and I'm not even a very confident intermediate.

The top is narrow and everybody seemed to drop in in a sideslip which wasn't helping the ice sheet but after that head over the the left (as you stand at the top) and I think you'd be fine. Rider the lift over it first to pick your route and wait for decent conditions.

aj xx
ski holidays
Quote:

Do they ever groom it?

Probably not, hence the "itinerary" status. You really need to think of it as a bit of off-piste which just happens to be marked & patrolled. If you are comfortable to nip over the side of reds and blacks and ski slope-side moguls, then give it a go, but if you're not comfy on moguls or steep blacks then you should maybe steer clear until you are.
snow conditions
skiben - I'd wholeheartedly agree with the comments above - how difficult The Wall is depends on when you get to it.

It is more benign earlier in the season as it's only pisted for avalanche control purposes - so the bumps at the entry and get big. VERY big. Like small cottage sized.

I've got two tips:

Take the chair up and over the run a couple of times before coming down it. There's some nasty cliff like things skier's right - and some drops you'd probably like to avoid about a third of the way down in the middle of the run.

Also, avoid the run like the plague if there are snowboarders kicking around the top of the run when you want to go down. (I've nothing against snowboards, but have just seen some horrendous carnage caused by snowboarders falling on the run.)
snow report
snowball, not they don't. The moguls are naturally formed and get more defined through the season by skiers. It's convex at the top for the first turn or two so you can't see what's next and it's quite narrow. There are always plenty of people losing various items of equipment and getting into a total mess.

Been to Champéry the past 3 seasons and only ever stared at it. A couple of years ago my instructor asked if I wanted to ski down it but I decided I wasn't experienced enough (he was a total nutter, it was only my second season). The occasional person has died on it after falling near the top and last year my instructor decided not to take me down it to learn about moguls as the snow was too crap. Will give it a go this year if the snow's better.
ski holidays
The second week I skied was in Les Crosets and our instructor, in a move that seemed designed to cut us down to size, took us to 'see' the wall.
It did look totaly impossible. He took us on a route which cut in on the run for about the bottom 1/4 of it. Compared to most of the run, this was relatively horizontal and the bumps were only about the size of baby elephants by now.
Oh, how we laughed at our own ineptitude - or at least the instructor did Twisted Evil

I've wanted to go back and check this run out for sooooo many years but I never seem to make it to the Porte de Soleil rolling eyes

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 21-10-06 18:24; edited 1 time in total
snow report
admin, I'll be there in January and let you know Toofy Grin Skullie
snow report
skiben, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
Walls scare the heck out of me (well, ones you have to ski, anyhow)
snow report
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=6826126&size=o
snow report
Wow! looks like a challenge! I'd love to try it! (And I've only been skiing for a week of my life).

Inspirational
ski holidays
Welcome skiben, I ski it every year although depending on the group I am with and conditions (sometimes this may not neccessrily be snow conditions but hangover) but not every week. It does depend on the conditions however. The worst for me was after a huge dump of snow. Then again I broke my leg many years ago on a flat off piste area and the nerves just go for me as soon as I enter virgin territory!!!! Embarassed !!!

I was with one guy who was far better than me and he couldn't do the wall, basically because as pam w, says it is mind over matter. He just stood above us and looked down and alas he psyched himself out of it.

Off the subject the coolest thing I have ever seen while skiing was while taking the chairlift up an old man @70ish was skiing it very slowly but very much in control, (you know the type). He was wearing a sweater, skiing the fall line and smoking a pipe. While all the young bucks around were skiing accross the piste side to side. Every 30 seconds or so a puff of smoke came up from his pipe!!!! Incredible and beautiful to watch.

skiben, Have fun in Les Gets and let us know how you get on. You will have a great season.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy