Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Online Ski Tips Videos

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Here's a bunch of videos I found the other day, Bode's in his earlier days, so he doesn't look quite as finessed as he does today.....

Carving

Carving 2

Pole Plants

Steeps

Difficult Snow

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 17-10-06 18:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
veeeight, thanks for those links. Although I'm probably not qualified to criticise Bode's skiing (!) he does seem to be skiing with a little A-frame in the Carving video. Or am I imagining it?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's a lot of things going on in Bode's skiing in that video, some good, some not so applicable to today's technique.

But to answer your question directly - in that particular clip at 00:48 - look at the angle of his skis, and the amount of outside knee angulation he is using to hold that edge. Outside knee angulation to this degree is often mistaken for an a-frame, especially with that amount of edge angle, and the inside knee hasn't got any room.

Also - look at his edges at the transition. Do you see a sequential edge change, or a simultaneous edge change?

Here are my thoughts on a-frames, as posted on another forum:

+++++++++++++

Time for my $0.02.

In recent years, there has been a lot of talk and focus on "parallel shins".

In my view, this was mainly to acomplish one thing - "Simultaneous Edge Change".

More recently, the focus has shifted from parallel shins, to "are the skis doing the right thing on the snow", because, someone could have an A-frame and yet both skis are doing good things on the snow. Purely down to:

1. Individual bio-mechanics
2. Alignment
3. Outside knee being used to fine tune
4. Tactics (Bode etc.)

To summaris(z)e, as long as a near simultaneous edge change is happening, and both skis are being worked effectively, parallel shins should not be the focus. Click Here for another viewpoint
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
veeeight, thanks for those comments, I'll step through the video frame by frame to see if I can spot what's going on. I wish I had a better understanding for the mechanics of skiing, and a better eye for actually seeing what's happening!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why not do an instructor course? Even if you have no desire to teach, it will at least improve your skiing, and give you the ability to assess and develop your own skiing!

Come by for a chat at the Metro Ski Show, I'll be at the stand that's in my sig, in the Canada section of the hall. Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
How long ago where those clips done do you think?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
veeeight, I hoping to visit the show tomorrow (thanks to j2dave), so I will pop by your stand and say hello (how will I know it's you?). I have thought about doing a BASI 3 and got as far as speaking to a couple of BASI Trainers to see I'm at the right level. Maybe one day...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, Look for the youngest guy on the stand Laughing

Renry, Bode signed a 2 year Rossignol deal in 2002, so somewhere in that timeframe.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had a quick look at the carving video - I haven't had time to have good look at things, but quite like the concept of the instuction with the pictures. Perhaps a bit of homework before I go next year might be useful to suppliment what my instuctor might be trying to communicate (I've mentioned that English is not his first language). Is the on-line video the sort of thing that I need as a beginer or is there an actual Video or DVD that might be more useful to me - I guess I need beginers carving technique - Thanks
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nothing, and I say again, nothing beats a 1 to 1 with an instructor.

No amount of book reading, DVD watching etc. is a substitute.

For some, reading and watching DVD's can augment their time with an instructor, but I find that when I get the techno-geek on the hill we have to spend time un-ravelling their mis-understanding of the information overload.

It's this simple:

1. Balance
2. Turn your feet (and/or roll your ankles)
3. Move to the inside using your lower joints, from the ankle up

edit: I've just watched the carving video again, and as a caveat, things (technique etc.) have changed since that video was filmed, so whilst there are a lot of good things, there are some that we just wouldn't do now.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
veeeight wrote:
For some, reading and watching DVD's can augment their time with an instructor, but I find that when I get the techno-geek on the hill we have to spend time un-ravelling their mis-understanding of the information overload.

That's why I like the instruction DVDs from Phil Smith, and dislike all the others I'e seen. Phil keeps everything simple, just gives you some easy to understand terminology and explanations of what's going on (to de-mystify the process), then illustrates this with some clear video of skiing in different conditions. Simple, straightforward and effective at improving understanding not necessarily ability. For that I agree with veeeight, nothing beats working with a good instructor face-face if you are trying to improve your ski abilities.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy