Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Valmeinier

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Please Help - Valmeinier resort looks very good and very family friendly

Very good accommodation, very cheap accommodation, nice and high 1800m so i would expect snow on Christmas Week

BUT whats the catch? anyone been before

To me who just wants to mess around with 2 non skiing wife and kids (5 and 3) and have a white christmas, it seems to good to be true

Your advice is appreciated !!

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CrowJersey, Perhaps a nice Austrian town with things for the wife and kids to do. Eldest could start learning to ski. Zell am Zee would have a fair bit to do for them, and there is a nice swimming pool in Kaprun (15 mins on the free ski bus).

I haven't be to Valmeiner, but a friend said there was not a lot there.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cant i need to self drive and i live in the Channel islands - so its France all the way, as im looking at a 10 hr drive with 2 young kids!!

But Thanks for the advice
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
CrowJersey wrote:
...just wants to mess around with 2 non skiing wife...

CrowJersey Shocked Usually one wife would have been enough, I'd have thought - but two... and to choose two non-skiing ones rolling eyes tusk wink Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
LOL, LOL, LOL Embarassed Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My first skiing trip was to Valmeinier 2 years ago.

The skiing was excellent and the lift system was generally okay - there were the odd long drags but i have heard that the worst ones have been replaced. I also had the best snow i have ever experienced, but that was the last week in January.

However, it is very small and purpose built and i could imagine it being a bit dead and there is nothing for non skiers - its only real purpose is skiing.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CrowJersey, Reasonable ski resort, easy ski access to Valloire. Not sure what the resort can offer for non-skiers though, could be a bit limited. What about basing yourself further down the valley and travelling daily to some of the other Maurienne resorts.
Pretty snow sure at that time of year, well it better be as I will be just down the road in mid december.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Reasonable ski resort, easy ski access to Valloire. Not sure what the resort can offer for non-skiers though, could be a bit limited. What about basing yourself further down the valley and travelling daily to some of the other Maurienne resorts.
Pretty snow sure at that time of year

I have been to Valmeinier (with Snowcoach) and it is cheap, convenient and basic. A bit of a hassleWha to get over to Valloire, but do-able. But definitely nothing for non skiers. And I wouldn't be super confident about snow cover at Christmas - it is not so much a function of altitude, as a function of precipitation. You can't really be confident of snow anywhere at Christmas. The so-called snow-sure and high resorts are a bit bleak and functional and not guaranteed good snow either (was rubbish in the Espace Killy last Christmas). If you want charming, and Christmassy, then Austria would be better, but if it absolutely HAS to be France, there are better places than Valmeinier, which is best described as a good value destination for keen but impoverished and not too expert skiers! Our small resort is called Les Saisies, and at 1650m has a better snow record than higher places in other areas. But even so, Christmas can be mild and warm rather than cold and snowy (in which case Valmeinier would be grim). Erna Low feature some nice apartments in Les Saisies. BUT if you want your kids to have English speaking group ski instruction you need a more Brit-oriented resort. We have been to both Les Gets and La Rosiere in the first week of January ('cos cheapest in the book) and had a good time. Megeve is much more sophisticated and picturesque, but also more expensive. What kind of accommodation are you thinking about?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yeah would echo the posts above about non skiers - Valloire would be ok at best for those not skiing but essentialy apart from a crescent of buildings at the base of the pistes there is little else there...It was a good while beck when i last visited but doubt too much has changed.

Just out of interest when you say cheap accommodation what kind of figures for the xmas week?

I just searched on ski-planet.com and saw the following in Valmeinier for €829 :

http://www.ski-planet.com/reservation/online_affiche.php?TypeLog=&StationID=46&DteFrom1=23%2F12%2F2006&DteFrom=2006-12-23&NbNuits=7&DteTo1=30%2F12%2F2006&DteTo=2006-12-30&Nbpers=&envoyer=Search

How about Praz-sur-Arly - nice village and a good base to get to some decent skiing without the Megeve prices:

http://www.ski-planet.com/reservation/online_affiche.php?TypeLog=&StationID=93&DteFrom1=23%2F12%2F2006&DteFrom=2006-12-23&NbNuits=7&DteTo1=30%2F12%2F2006&DteTo=2006-12-30&Nbpers=&envoyer=Search

Or Les Houches - close to Cham so plenty for non skiers to do and with the height of the mountains around it - should be white of sorts regardless of the weather...

http://www.ski-planet.com/reservation/online_affiche.php?TypeLog=&StationID=22&DteFrom1=23%2F12%2F2006&DteFrom=2006-12-23&NbNuits=7&DteTo1=30%2F12%2F2006&DteTo=2006-12-30&Nbpers=&envoyer=Search

Good luck
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It appears that some of the building in the area may well fall down. Another excellent news story from mysnowsports
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, Well spotted, think I would be more worried regarding the comment about the pylons having to be resecured before use Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Firstly Thankyou for the post - really helpful as have all on the topic

Accommodation really i would prefer Hotel H/B it is christmas after all we are going away for

Orignally i was planning to go to Morzine but concerned with it only being 1000m

I will Ski and i want my kids to try aswell or if not aleast play in the snow tabboggan's etc etc

So really i am just after the Family Christmas holiday in the the Snow (hopefully)

But i will consider anything i it has that little something Special
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
quick thankyou for all your advice

I have just book les carroz for christmas week

H/B hotel, ski to door, flood lit slope behind with cannons, KIDS are free for the week too!!! adutls only 560 euros

Bargain!!

Will report back after my stay
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy