Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Take your own ski's / hire them dilemna

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon everyone.

I'm going away in January and am deciding what to do about my ski's.

I currently have some Salomon x-scream's (which I've discussed on here before).

They are great but my urrent dilemna is this....

Seeing as Jet2/Easyjet etc charge so much for the transportation of ski's , would it not be better to hire them out there given the cost and quality of today's hire ski's?

I will be skiing mostly Reds and Black's and a little off piste. Am 36, 5' 8" and weigh 14 1/2 stone.

Would you take your own and is there a better hire ski than the X-scream?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JAnuary - Snow might be patchy too- worth getting them scratched to bits?

Edit: I say this, as MANY of our guests in the Chalet last year were pondering the same question. Infact the guys who came out Xmas and New Year- mid Jan said they'd hire them in future!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 17-10-06 11:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jack Hallam, I'd take them, they're your skis and are set up for you. Ok, there is a risk of damage, but when isn't there? Cuts out all the hassle of getting to hire shop, costs of hire and insurance and returning them.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jack, take your own, trash 'em and buy more when you get home.

Sorted Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd agree. Take your own. They're yours, so use them and avoid the hassle in resort of sorting out your hired ones (which whilst unlikely, could be awful). I take mine any time of season, December all the way through to April. And let this be a lesson to you - always fly with BA! Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd take your own - what's the point of having them? If they get trashed then you'll need to buy some more snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sell them and pay for the rental with the proceeds
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jack Hallam, what resort? If I'm going somewhere with top notch hire gear then I'd hire every time. The big modern Intersports in Austria for example don't mind if you swap skis through the week, demand a tune up and if conditions change this can be a real boon. In Jan the hire shops won't be deluged so you might have a wide choice.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jack Hallam, You'll save a bit of money not carrying skis....but renting will work out a bit more expensive. On the other hand, you could use it as an excuse to try some newer skis.

So - why not take your skis, but then rent for a couple of days ? This will be cheaper than renting for the full week, but you'll be able to compare old technology with new.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd take my own - making sure the bindings have been professionally checked first.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Take your own.. take a petex candle with you, repair any minor damage daily, get them serviced if it's really bad, half way through the week. No point owning your own if you don't use them!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Take em' ski 'em, service 'em. Or if you prefer to rent, sell 'em. But don't let cost be the only deciding factor, think of convenience, enjoyment and the fact that they are shiny things. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The year before last I delaminated my skis, but hiring for the last week of the year I couldn't find anything I liked so much, particularly on breakable crust which I ski easily on my Volant Chubbs, so I bought another pair second hand (skied on for one week) at half price. Sorted - I'm skiing well again.

Don't ever pay £15 each way with Easyjet and Ryanair: combine your skis with someone else in a double bag and it costs the same as a single bag.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd sell those skis, it wouldn't be hard to get a better hire ski than those, although it can depend where you go, but even then you would have to go to quite a backwater IMV. Even the old Bandit XX are better than the Xscreams.
My friend is on his 3rd pair and he finds them very comfortable but I just don't get it...!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy