Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slow Skis

Poster: A snowHead
My wife claims the only reason she is a slow skier is because of her skis and if she had a new pair she would be much faster. Is this possible or is she just pulling a fast one?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Marvel,

Yes!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Has she got wax on them Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wax all the whole families skis religiously every year as part of the build-up before we go.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Marvel, Are they pink and do they have flowers or polka dots on them Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It is possible, clearly depending on a number of factors, such as correct wax, condition of the base, type of base, is the base a die-cut with lots of graphics etc. etc.

When I'm skiing with my mate (him on his Seth V's, me on my Mojo90's) - the complexity of his graphical die-cut base means that I'm consistently faster than him on cat tracks etc.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Marvel, I ski slower on my skis because a) I get scared if I go too fast, and b) I'm scared when i go fast because my skis aren't stable at high speeds, and yes, they have flowers on , similar , but not quite the same as these

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 16-10-06 19:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Surely if you want to go faster do less turns or go ski steeper slopes and conversely...or am I missing something here?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Unfortunately they don't have flowers or polka-dots but if you think it will make a difference I could do some a la Blue Peter.
They don't have any graphics or die-cut bases and the wax I'm using is Toko all rounder from S+R. I use a pocket wax on them every morning before we go out too but nothing seems to make any difference. Perhaps they're just carp skis.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
martski, hmmm, maybe, but it's the speed thing, it makes them flap about, and makes me feel very unstable on them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's not that they are not fast enough it's just that they aren't as fast as everyone elses on the same slope.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Marvel wrote:
I wax all the whole families skis religiously every year as part of the build-up before we go.

Are you sure you haven't done what my mate did - put cross-country (sticky) kick wax on his snowboard. Poetry in slooooooowwwwww motion rolling eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Marvel, that could be your wifes lack of confidence, perhaps she's traversing too far across the slope.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
martski, hmmm, maybe, but it's the speed thing, it makes them flap about, and makes me feel very unstable on them.

Modern carvers "want" to turn, so have a tendency to flap if you're not absolutely solid on them. You get more stability with less of a sidecut (but obviously they're harder to turn when you want them to).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
laundryman, Is that why I feel safer going fast with a slight egded curve rather than going fast in a straight line?
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, could well be. Also, the edge is going to slice through any crud lying about, which might throw you on a flat ski. However, I feel that I may be straying out of my depth!
snow conditions
laundryman, Never stopped you before wink Laughing
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing Laughing
snow report
Marvel, I had a boot alignment problem that meant when I thought my skis, in particular my right ski, were flat they were actually running slightly on edge. This slowed me down considerably on flats etc.
ski holidays
A couple of probable causes here. Some lack of confidence although she's a compentant skier on blues reds and the occasional black. I think her vivid imagination holds her back because of what might happen. I also think there maybe some boot alignment probs as she seems to find it impossible to get her skis truely parallel, they aways seem to be in a slight plough which will obviously slow her down.
ski holidays
Hmmm, I'm not so sure that boot alignment would have as much to do with an 'unwanted' plough as confidence.

Even so though, she may well be right: a new set of skis could indeed speed up her skiing for a number of reasons:
  • If she trys out a few pairs and finds one that really suits her, she's going to feel more in control, therefore will dare to go faster.
  • The process of trying out new skis will itself show her a lot about what is her and what is the ski: this benefits technique and is also a confidence booster.
  • The thrill of getting new skis will excite her and help develop a more positive demeanor toward the whole process.
  • Your agreeing to get her new skis will demonstrate your belief in her ability and your trust in her to make the right call which will boost her confidence.
  • If u get her new skis, bang goes her excuse!!! Wink

Don't buy before u try though - find a shop that has a really good range and ask them to do u a deal to test stuff out, say 2hrs at a time. It'll likely cost you one day's hire. Do it yourself too, even if you're not planning to buy and the two of u should have loads of fun.
    Most shops will be happy to do this: they'll usually even discount your hire fee if you come to buy from them.
  • latest report
    Confidence can be helped by taking a lesson!

A slight plough is often caused by not having the balance and confidence to use the outside edge of the inside ski.
    snow conditions
    pollittcl, Hi. Seems a long time since Castleford.
    latest report
    Marvel, If you're a lot heavier than her, you will go faster. It's physics. (Not than I'm saying you're a lardy or anything Little Angel .)
    latest report
    Frosty the Snowman, yes it is a long time, and I was in the UK for ages this summer and didn't even think about it (last time I logged on here was March 2nd). - too busy interviewing for a new job Shocked .

maggi, I wanted to say that, too but couldn't think of a way to say it!

I've also taught a number of ladies who have lost confidence and therefore been slow(ish), because they spend most of their time chasing their other halves down the mountain trying to go faster and steeper than they really want to, then falling and losing more confidence, therefore going slower and slower. Women do tend to think more of the consequences of falling than men, especially if they are mothers, but then many women ski runs that they don't enjoy because the men want them to - hmmm, maybe that's why there's more men than women in snow sports! Very Happy
    ski holidays
    Quote:

A slight plough is often caused by not having the balance and confidence to use the outside edge of the inside ski

that might also have something to do with alignment though, my husband can get on the outside edge of the inside ski on one turn, but finds it much more difficult on the other, even standing still holding onto the back of a chair on the carpet. He is particularly stiff and restricted in movement. He also lacks some confidence, and has had a couple of injuries which he doesn't want to repeat (two arthroscopies). These problems compound each other. Does your wife has custom footbeds, Marvel? A good bootfitter might be more important than a new pair of skis. The psychological points made by admin are also important and if she wants new skis, go for it. But speed, at our recreational levels, is all to do with confidence and ability rather than technical aspects of skis - my daughter, who is lighter than I, can go as fast on a pair of knackered snowblades dating from the first year they appeared as I go on my skis - and I'm not that slow. The points about lessons are important too.
    latest report
    Other than wax and the fact that people often think they are skiing with the ski flat when actually they are not, it seems to me there are several factors which might affect the speed of running of the ski. These are the weight of the skier, the width and length of the skis and their stiffness (this last decides how much of the weight is anywhere other than under the foot - I would assume that a stiff ski would be faster).
    Skier weight and width and length of ski basically add up to the weight per square inch on the surface on the snow.
    Allied to this, where there isn't much slope steepness I should think that momentum would be relevant, and hardness of the snow (ie how much do you sink in).
    Also, the more sidecut the ski has the more drag it will produce, but I don't know if this will be a major factor or not.
    snow report
    Uh oh!!!!!
    Now I am the proud owner of BRAND NEW pair of Zag skis, no excuses now!!!
    Husband has taken on board I'm slower than the rest of the family so has spent his hard earned money to buy me these fab skis, so no going back now. I have to prove him wrong. rolling eyes
    snow report
     You know it makes sense.
    You know it makes sense.
    Marvel,

Quote:

I have to prove him wrong.

..aah.....a womans raison d'etre......... Toofy Grin

Hope you enjoy the ZAGs .....happy Zagging..... Very Happy snowHead
    ski holidays
    I remember from university the fact that for displacement hulls (boats), the greater the length, the higher the limiting speed. If you want to go faster, you build a longer hull. I wonder whether this applies to skis. I have always supposed it would, although the mechanics are of course somewhat different.
    On a different note, I notice that even when on the flat my skis (hired) normally form a slight plough. I'm not pigeon-toed naturally, so I've always been puzzled by this. Maybe this happens because I'm knock-kneed with nervous anticipation Puzzled or maybe because I shouldn't have had that 3rd mug of tea at breakfast Embarassed
    snow report
    Marvel, which Zags? they won't be fast in a straight line but should go well everywhere else.

noggy, there's a reason why slalom skis are 155-165 and downhill skis are 218-225 or so ... You've hit the nail on the head; faster and more stable, but this is only straight line speed, and therefore isn't really relevant to Mrs. marvel's situation.
    ski holidays
    Mrs Marvel's new skis are Zag Freeride 75's 167cm, which according to the Zag website should suit her size and weight. They are rated as a go anywhere do anything ski and I'm hoping will help her progrees to the next level. We'll see at Xmas.
    snow conditions
    I have an extra pair of 2.15 meter Atomic Downhills she could use (nobody is using 218-225s anymore). They are really fast! Problem is they don't start turning until you hit 50k unless she skids. No really, she won't be slow anymore. I promise.
    ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy