Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France's first heated chairlift

Poster: A snowHead
The issue of heated chairlifts has been discussed before in this topic.

This article in French reports that Karellis in Savoie is the first French resort to install a heated chairlift.
The project costs 5 million Euros and carried out by Doppelmayr.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Google translation of the article above
here

Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are France really that far behind Swizerland and Austria that they've only just come across heated seats?? Shocked
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
it says on the page 'translate this article'

why has it taken them so long to invent something that will stop as freezing our butts off?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is outdoor heating the best use of fossil fuels? If I had a personal carbon allowance I'd want to spend it on something essential like actually getting me to the slopes than keeping my @rse warm rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've never experienced heated seats but I think I'm with rob@rar, quite keen on pull down covers I've tried in Switzerland once; to keep the wind off the tender bits - the rest I rely on decent quality clothing. Wind's this issue not the ambient temperature.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have to agree with the last two... You are on the mountain in the mid of winter surrounded by snow, either wrap up or stay at home in front of the fire. We have enough energy supply issues in the world without wasting any more. I realise it's probably a relatively small amount but it's symptomatic of a general (bad) trend
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'll put in my tuppenceworth & agree with the last three......even if the technology was principally for keeping the seats free of snow - (It has been shown that direct labour costs to the lift operator are reduced, but I don't think the figures properly represent on-going maintenance and an accurate lifespan of the technology)

.......mind you ChickenDhansak, if you upgraded to a Chicken Vindaloo it might negate the need for heated seats at all..... Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wouldn't it be easier to give the lift attendants a brush each and they could simply brush the snow off the seats before you sit on them! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
boredsurfin, ....that would be far too easy and far too sensible....... Toofy Grin

Mind you I have seen some lifties in Les Arcs using those Power Blowers to clear seats - same ones that gardeners use to chase leaves about the place.......
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BernardC wrote:
boredsurfin, ....that would be far too easy and far too sensible....... Toofy Grin

Mind you I have seen some lifties in Les Arcs using those Power Blowers to clear seats - same ones that gardeners use to chase leaves about the place.......

Yes, seems to be quite common, although some of the lifties use standard brooms. Perhaps only the very best lifties get promoted to use power blowers?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, covers are great. 6 folks on a 6 man chair, pull the cover down...luverly chubberly
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There should be a pecking order of chairlifts and the 6 man detachable with cover and soft, padded seats ranks highly on my list.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BernardC, Being a 'local' I seem to be recognised and the seat gets swept on our village lift, I guess you'll enjoy the same traetment on the lift your having built wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boredsurfin, ....I imagine that I will have my own 'personal' chair at least...... & perhaps a personal assistant to assist me, should I require assisting... Toofy Grin
snow report
I have to say, I found the use of pull down covers incredibly useful, and missed them when they were only exposed chairlifts. Going up high, your exposed parts of the face need most protection. Cheeks and nose. Pull down covers're useful, v useful.

Not sure what a heated seat would do other than make snow melt and dry it, and make sitting on the chairs uncomfortable if for long rides. Confused
snow report
Quote:

There should be a pecking order of chairlifts and the 6 man detachable with cover and soft, padded seats ranks highly on my list.

Covered chair lift = cheap Gondola !
snow report
Peter S, .......Covered Chair Lift = A LOT better than long Drag Lift..! Toofy Grin
latest report
Came across heated lifts in Austria last year for the first time.... All wrong if you ask me A) as others have pointed out - we are out skiing - we expect to be a little cold, lets not make melting the snow even easier! B) When you sit on them - it feels like you have wee'd yourself - a sudden warm sensation that you aren't expecting.... or is that just me Embarassed
latest report
Quote:

Covered chair lift = cheap Gondola !

But for the lazy among us, with no need to take skis off Smile
ski holidays
came across heated seats in Saalbach and St Anton for the first time last year .. have to say it might well be a waste of energy but they are damn nice on a cold day .. in fact if you end up on a chair where the heater's not working it can be a major dissapointment !!

a Swiss person was telling me that electricity was v cheap there because they have a lot of hydro electricity and so most homes are electrically heated .. i imagine this is the case in most well developed mountain areas so it might be that there is actually very little carbon impact assuming that the lifts are electrically powered
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy