Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So I got my new skis ..

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I got a new pair of skis via the internet. My question is, before I go skiing with them (can't wait!!!), do I have to get them prep'ed or waxed or something first or are they pre-waxed and have sharp enough edges from the factory?

Sorry, but I've only been using rented skis so far! Embarassed

Thanks,
Anders
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would get them waxed, or even do it yourself. A plastic scraper, wax and a cheap flat based travel iron are all you need. Be careful not the overheat the ski bases though. Plenty of how to guides around on the net. Or you could just arrive at the resort and get them waxed prior to hitting the slopes the next morning.

Skis do have a storage wax on them straight from the shop - but this is often not the best stuff for actually skiing. The edges should be sharp enough though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Strid, New skis are shipped with only a surface transit wax & the bases still contain crap in the form of dust, dirt & emulsifiers from the manufacturing process. The factory wax is also for protection rather than performance.

The crap needs to be cleaned out & by hot scraping with a warm, low melting point wax. Then the more wax applications you can give the skis the better as it really loads up the base which greatly improves performance & protection. Even better are the specific waxes just for this purpose like Dominator Zoom Base Renew or Holmenkol Base Prep for which one application is like 5 applications of normal wax. Between each wax cycle (leaving the wax to fully cool before scraping) give the skis loads of brass brushing & fiberpad passes. Top World Cup tuners may do 50 waxes & scrape cycles plus mega brushing on their race skis before they’re skied on so don’t think you’re being anal by doing it a few times!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wow, thanks, lots of good info here!!

I think I'll just hand them over to a local ski shop before I leave for a tune up before I leave! I just wasn't sure if I should do this. I think I will not be spending much time prep'ing them myself, if I can make people do it for me (unless it's expensive! Smile). How much will tune up set me back approx?

Thanks again!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In resorts expect to pay under £10 for a wax. A full tune (edges, base grind and waxing) from somewhere like Snow and Rock in the UK cost £25 if I remember correctly - this would probably only need to be done once you have ran over a few rocks and dented the skis a fair bit Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Strid, No ski shop that I've come across will perform a hot scrape clean to the base before waxing & they won't let a new application of wax fully cool/absorb before removing which adversely affects absorbancy. Unfortunately it's not just a case of throwing money at it! The factory edges will/should be ok but if you want the base prep doing right then either do it yourself or get a mate who's an experienced tuner to prep the bases for you.

The alternative is to go into your local ski shop & speak directly to the ski tech & tell them exactly what you want - ie: don't touch the edges, a hot scrape clean, a few coats of a universal wax that have been left to cool between scraping & brushing. Hopefully you'll get lucky.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon, Good advice.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That is a cracking advice! I will do all that myself then. That'll also save me the money, which is always good. It's actually not just one pair, but two pairs of skis, so it's really double the saving! Smile

Anyway, as I have no idea on where to start, could you point me to an online shop (preferably within the EU) that sells me the needed wax and brushes and what else I need? (I figure I can do with an old iron which I'm going to steal from my old (though still beautiful) mother). I tried to froogle search for the products you mentioned, but no cigar for me unfortunately!

Thanks!
Anders
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Strid, has the man two posts above your last got a deal for you! Wink . Well, possibly not given your location, but I'm sure he'll give it a try Very Happy . What's the shipping on 2kg of cleaning wax from Notts to Denmark?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Strid, As well as the UK I'm currently doing good business in Eire, the US & I've a couple of customers in Bugaria so supplying you in Denmark is not a problem wink. I can offer you a cracking tuning DVD c/w my own written tuning guide & I'd also be pleased to quote you for tuning equipment.

GrahamN, BTW I've just got a Datawax account for when you're next in the market.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 16-10-06 19:29; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Strid, Search for Ski tuning or ski accessories. Or even your nearest big city ski shop.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy