Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The ratio of male : female skiers ?

Poster: A snowHead
GrahamN, your figures are fascinating; you either have a very good memory or keep all those photos of anonymous gangs of people in ski gear! They are even more skewed than I would have thought - I have in the past been on a ski course on my own (Sally Chapman) but though there were more men, women were reasonably represented - and I room-shared with one of the others. I am probably more ready than the average woman to do this kind of thing, I am very used to extensive travel, on my own, for work purposes and it doesn't bother me. I have several times been the only woman on a sailing course but that is a big advantage because unless the boat is absolutely full you get a cabin to yourself! But I would hesitate to enrol for a ski clinic if I thought I was going to be the only woman on a physically demanding course. I am reasonably fit and strong but that would still make me probably the physically weakest in the group so unless I was absolutely sure that I was going to be technically towards the top of the group (and how could you know that?) I would not want to go.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hmmm not sure about this. From my own experience blokes vastly outweigh the burdz, take a look around dicks or any such place in Val, St Anton etc it's always bit of a sausage fest as they say.

On instructor courses and clinics I find It is 80 - 90 % blokes. When teaching in the uk probably around the 50 / 50 mark.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think there are more interesting ratios worth investigating...

% of people spotted wearing brand new Timberlands at the airport
% of blokes with beer guts wearing pink Crew Cowes Week shirts
% of Snow+Rock bags on the luggage belt
% of Hoorays wearing brogues and who think it cool to sport a country shirt and tie under their ski jacket
% of blokes who wear suits all week at work attempting to look a bit grungy on holiday in the hope they might overturn the already incredible odds against pulling a babe half their age

... I could go on. Any more?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
In St Anton it is approx 10-1

This has been in large part due in recent years to the huge increase in the very large groups of guys from the UK & Ireland. Hopefully now some of these groups are discovering that there is Apres Ski beyond St Anton and will disperse to Ischgl ,Solden and beyond Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bode Swiller, What have buddy boots got to do with anything? You, young man, are I think just being a tad supercilious...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stanton, There's great apres ski in Rotterdam...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Murdoch, I hope that doesn't mean you fall into all the categories I outlined... and a bit less of the "young" if you don't mind. I've done the apres in Rotterdam and breakfasted at Hotel New York to recover but... tis a bit of a schlepp to the lifts Confused
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller, yes yes but which half of your name is male and which is female?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David Goldsmith, don't wait for the NHS, I recommend you go privately for help.

Am I the only person who's seen these types hanging round resorts / airports. Its far more pivotal to the health of the sport to know these ratios than mere male:female.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
excellent post bode if I may expand...
% of charlotes, sophies, bens, charlies etc etc who use Val, Verbier and other resorts as an extension of the Kings road to talk loudly, smoke marlboro lights etc etc. Often known to gob off about their skiing but actually couldn't carve a rib roast let alone a turn.
% of young, baggy panted boarders & 'freeriders' away from their media studies courses or IT jobs for a wk, often found at the top of a line talking hardcore this, sik that blah blah blah then slipping down rather tamely...
% of regional accented male grps slaughtered by the time they are off the coach and in resort.
% of euro rock played at the mooserwirt.
% of those wearing jesterhats at an age where the ought to know better.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jake, at last a fertile and observant mind shows up. Another...

% of sideways types who say "stoked" at least once in every scentence.

You see it's not about male:female it's about sorted:stupid. Thank you Jake, respect... ah darn it there's another one.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jake, by the way I'll defend the Mooserwirt's euro rock til my last breath
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There's always more male instructors than female - I'd say 80:20, although there does seem to have been an increase in young, female snowboard instructors! Shocked
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think I'll give tray riding a go this season then! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bode Swiller,

Apres in Austria would not be same without German EuroRock! Its all part of the Gemütlichkeit Very Happy

David Murdoch,

Dont tell anyone about the Apres in Rotterdam.
snow report
I was in a Royal British Legion club on sunday night and they had Eurorock on the telly (some Sky channel or other) while the bingo was going on in the function room. A truely bizarre cultural exerience, some blue haired old biddy came through and turned it down in the end.
latest report
FenlandSkier, Just out of interest... what was the ratio of blue haired biddies to eurorockers?
snow report
Well, the bingo must have had about 50 people in and the bar full of the eurorockers consisted of 3 old blokes, varying shades from blue through white to grey on the old 'uns but hard to put an exact number on it.
latest report
So, there you have it... based on this extensive survey, blokes looking for luuuuurve should avoid St Anton and instead head for Lincolnshire where, by my reckoning, it's around 94% old biddies. Perfect. Who cares about skiing now?
ski holidays
rob@rar, at the risk of returning to the topic of the thread wink

I've been thinking about this for some time. I have been disappointed by the small number of women on various courses. I think the reason why women don't do ski courses are complex, but fundamentally it has to do with the lack of self confidence that many women have. If you are worried that you won't be able to keep up, and that the men will make fun of you if you make a mistake*, then that will put you off. The marketing of a lot of courses also looks rather macho - like the pictures of Phil Smith leaping into the air on a Snoworks course - a lot of women, myself included, think "I don't want to do that, I just want to ski nicely". The same sort of thing applies to courses in other sports I've done (motorcycle racing, car rallying, high performance driving etc).

I had a very bad start to my skiing career, breaking my leg within 1 hour of starting my first course, so my confidence has been rock bottom, and it has taken private lessons to get me to the point where I feel I could cope with a course. Not all women have had such difficulty, but even so, a lot of women lack confidence, and I think that is why you will find fewer women doing courses where their shortcomings might be exposed.

As to the ratio of men to women in general - you find that men outnumber women in almost all sports, aerobics (and yoga and pilates and stuff) excepted. As a women who likes sport, it is just something you have to learn to accept and get on with!

PS * We all know that if a man makes a mistake and falls over it is because the exercise is very complicated and difficult, if a woman makes a mistake and falls over it is because women can't ski. You could substitute "ride a motorcycle" or "drive a car" or anything else for "ski" Very Happy
snow conditions
docsquid, all very fair comments. But surely women have cottoned on to the fact that it's all bluster and bravado from us blokes? What's to be scared of?
ski holidays
3.25:1 Puzzled
snow report
Fatadder - I hope you're not studying English at Uni wink Very Happy

Fatbob - v good point about actual total skiing days - as an hypothetical example, take a 14 day ski break, with 50% male and 50% female attendance. I'd bet that more blokes tend to spend 14 days out on the hills, whilst many more ladies take a day off here for a little shopping, a day off there for a perm and nail manicure, maybe another for a soak in the hot tub, ohhh and why not just have a little lie in today since it's snowing outside wink Very Happy Very Happy

I'd Come on Down and hedge my bets at a 70:30 male/female global average ratio...

Cheers me snowies snowHead
ski holidays
Mrs B and my 2 kids (both girls) shy away from lessons. I had to promise the kids I wouldn't put them into school this year before they got enthusiastic about the trip, (ungrateful or what?)
Me, I'd go into lessons tomorrow and any other day.
Regarding the ratio of Males/females I'd say it was 70-30% Male-female.

Totally off topic
I was on a blokes trip to Morzine and L'pool were playing in the European Championship. 6 of us were in a bar watching the footy with music in the background. A girl who was obviously trying to get some attention started dancing by herself just next to the telly. After a few minutes of this my brother in law said "Either get your kit off and we'll stop watching the footy or f*ck off". She sat down amid laughter. Toofy Grin
snow report
mostly ski twicea year,one with family wife & 5 daughters, more females than you can shake a stick at, one with 4/5 rugby types who seem always to be in lady free zones, although said ladies probably sneek straight out back door as we arrive.
so as for ratios,potluck for you single fellows
snow report
skied today and noticed 80:20 male:female, approximately and also 30:70 skiers:snowborders!!!!! Shocked Shocked snowHead
snow report
"30:70 skiers:snowborders!!!!!"

What a living nightmare wink Very Happy wink Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy