Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courmayeur

Poster: A snowHead
We're just filling in our Serre Che season pass application for next year, and amongst the free days in other resorts nearby (L2A, ADH, Milky Way, and Puy St Vincent), is an additional offer of 6 free days in Courmayeur. So, what's the skiing like, is it worth a detour through the Mont Blanc Tunnel on the way to Serre Che in mid-March, and where can we stay (we may have the dog with us)?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Helen Beaumont,

I stayed up in Val Ferret..forget the name of the hotel but its popular with hikers. And Courmayeur IS worth a detour, I'd say.
Helbronner is a good lift from which you can get down onto the VB and bus back or the skiing in Courmayuer has some good fun slopes and excusions. The best lift, I think, is Entreves but make yourself familiar with the way back as its not always possible to ski back down but this lift has the least queues and the best/most parking. Dumping the car for the main Courmayuer lift is painful as the lift is centred pretty much in the village. The piste skiing is fun Italian-style cruising IMO.

Nice snacks/toasties on the hill, oh, and pretty sunny
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Currently considering the Hull-Zeebrugge ferry option,on a Thurs or Friday evening, as we can be across the channel earleir, and down to the slopes the same day. Newcastle-Holland way too expensive.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helen Beaumont, I've enjoyed skiing at Courmayeur - plenty of scope for everyone and a fantastic setting. I've been unlucky with mountain restaurants, but others rave, so I've just been unlucky I reckon. I've never actually stayed there. Skanky is a devotee, I think.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nothing wrong with Courmayeur as one would be skiing next to Mont Blanc. It is at the Italian side of Mont Blanc Tunnel. A bit far from Serre Che/L2A, ADH, Milky Way, and Puy St Vincent.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen Beaumont, Sorry to hijack your thread, but have you taken your dog before & is it affected by the altitude?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We have skied a couple of times and stayed in Entreves. There is a good hotel there called Auberge de la Maison with a fantastic restaurant opposite but I can't remember the name. On both visits the snow was good and the restaurants relaxed and good value. Well worth a visit.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
saikee, I know it isn't next to Serre Chevalier, or lcose to the other resorts, but as we have a free lift pass, and were looking for a new resort to ski, we thought we'd give it a go. geri, we took the dog twice last year, she wasn't affected by altitiude at all. In fact, as it was cold, she was full of energy, and demanded long walks every afternoon. The colder it got the more lively she was, and it was -20 over Christmas. When it snowed she went really crazy!!!
Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helen Beaumont, is that common to all the resorts on the Grande Galaxie pass? Never skied Courmayeur, sounds like a good trip for a day off.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lizzard, I don't know, it's new this year.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen Beaumont, not finding it on ADH or 2Alpes, but neither website is the best I've ever used, I have to say. Possibly I will be stuck with Alpe du Grand Serre for extra days out as usual. Will certainly be using my four Serre Che tickets though (assuming you have snow again this season).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We went to Courmayeur a couple of years ago. I enjoyed it, though you can ski most of the good stuff in a couple of days. Get right to the very top if you can - there's a small gondola that takes you up but it only runs for a few hours a day because of the weather. There'll be hardly anyone up there, so the ski back down is nice and quiet, but steep at the start and quite narrow. You could get some off-piste in up there, too.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Helen Beaumont, I am amazed that your dog can go even crazier than it is normally wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, she's lying fast asleep next to me at the moment. But then, we haven't had any visitors today, so she hasn't had her tea fix. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Courmayeur is great - especially the second valley - very picturesque with great off piste terrain
latest report
Nice place Courmayeur. Not especially large, so easily skiable in a day if you keep moving. Not been for a few years so memory may play a few tricks - but I can get up-to-date info. from the family.

http://www.courmayeur-montblanc.com/inglese/home_ing.htm

The Youla is the small cable car to the top. There is one that goes higher (Arp) for purely off-piste, but it runs even less frequently and may not get renewed when its time comes up - worth it for the views though. The run from Youla is great but unless you go off-piste not always worth the wait.

The side above Val Veny gets a lot of shade but goes quite a long way down, so if the conditions are poor can quickly shift from ice to slush. If the snow's good though the slopes are generally quieter -except around lunch, and very good. The restaurants at the bottom of the Zerotta chair are good and can be a very good sun trap.

The path between the bottom of Internationale & those slops can get a bit hairy at the bottom (just above a restaurant that I've never visited) and a lot easier if not too busy. It's only short though and really only causes problems if you're lacling in confidence or there's someone like that strewn across it (I've been one of those, so think I can say that guilt free). Internazionale (image from bottom of slope) and Gabba (short) are both great fun, though you Internazionale can be tiring if you're out of practise. The Val Veny cable car from Entreves tends to be quieter than the main one in town, and you can get to it first after the tunnel. There's also no wlaking involved from this lift, whereas you'll often have to walk from the main one.

The "main" side of the mountain above the town has the main wider slope between Plan & Col Chercrouit, with a few parallel lifts and slopes. This is where most of the lessons will be. The smaller two chairs up from Chercrouit on the right (as you look up the hill) lead to a slightly different area of skiing with a good restaurant (requires poling) at the top of the left hand one (from where you can see Cervinia/Matterhorn). This lift also leads to a great slope called Stadio (slope under the background lift in the image). The right hand one goes up to Pra Neyron (new lift I link) from where it's possible to ski to a chair that joins up with the top of the Zerotta lift. The left hand one often has a smaller queue so I've often skied it at busy times. Just below the top of the Zerotta lift (where there's an outdoor swimming pool in summer) is a good little restaurant/café with snack food but well done and a great view.

I've only done a couple of the blacks and not very well, so can't comment on them really.

There will soon be a new gondola up from Dolonne at some point (see film at link above). Those who went with Mark Warner long enough ago may remember the Hotel Telecabinne with the two-man bucket gondola that ran up from the hotel in Dolonne. I think that there has been some discussion that this may eventually replace the main lift from the town centre, but I'm out of date with the news there, and may have got the wrong end of the stick.
snow conditions
skanky, thanks. And everyone else.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, if you plan going let me know and I'll get some restaurant recommendations for you (aside from K2 for pizza and Maisn d'Philipo(sp?) for spectacular).
ski holidays
skanky, OK, now to find some accommodation, they all seem to accept 'small' dogs.
latest report
Every time I have had a week with guides in Chamonix, skiing off piste, we have spent a day in Courmayeur. There is some wonderful off-piste, much of it far off-piste (especially the runs from the tiny top lift (I can't remember if it is "with guide only" like at the Valluga). Also Helbronner (Italian side of Mont Blanc) can be very exciting, but south-facing so the snow can be crud.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, more recently (relatively speaking) I've always stayed in the Camosci because we know the owner. It's a good hotel, with the two main downsides being (a) quite a walk from the town centre (b) it can be very difficult to get served in the bar (no barman half the time). If you have a car though, it's on the way out to the Val Veny lift so getting there is easy - but the owner will run you to the lifts if you want. My parents have stayed at a couple of others (Scoiattalo and another right by the main lift) in summer which they have liked. Years and years ago I stayed in the Edelweiss and that was good then.
ski holidays
Definitely worth a visit. Much pleasanter than average town and good restaurants, beautiful scenery, potentially good but crowded skiing. That's my dim recollection of it.
snow conditions
Weekends and wednesday afternoons are the most crowded (Wed afters as that's when the schools ski). Bad weather, and you can have the slopes to yourself. The Gabba area is also normally teh quietest, and Stadio is also generally a quiter slope. Buts yes, when it's full, it's very full.
latest report
The Gabba will be anything but quiet on 23rd November!
snow report
thanks for that Skanky - I have booked to go to Courmayeur at the end of January and am looking forward to skiing the VB ( if it is open! ). There was a separate thread on the VB six weeks back or so that I started.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont,

The tiny hamlet of Val Ferret is almost all hotels AFAICT...bound to be something there at the last minute...and its handy for Val Veney and the Entreve lifts which get you into the Courmayer lift sys.
ski holidays
JT, there's even a campsite or two there. wink Actually, Val Ferret is also good cross country skiing (I've tried it) and off-piste area (I think it's heli-skiing but could be wrong), apparently.

laundryman, I can't see the chairlift in that photo.. Puzzled

hibernia, good luck with the VB. I really like Courmayeur, but then I do have familial connections and I did start going when Steve's Bar was still there.

Meal recommendation: http://www.lamaison.com/ It ain't cheap, but it's worth it.
latest report
skanky wrote:
Actually, Val Ferret is also good cross country skiing (I've tried it) and off-piste area .

There has to be a joke lurking about Val Ferret's off-piste area. Perhaps Scarpa will supply the punch line.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I may have found some accommodation, says it's at La Saxe?
ski holidays
Uphill from the main town, on the other side of the valley from the lifts. The K2 pizza place is somewhere up that way.

You can see it here. The Val veny cable car is off the Piazzale del Funivia at the top of the map, and the main cable car is at the bottom of the map.

Which hotel?
snow report
skanky, a private apartment.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, ah right. Very quiet and residential up there.
snow conditions
skanky, I don't mind taking the dog to a hotel, but I find it's better to leave her if we have an apartment. Less people going to and fro past the door.
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, makes sense.
latest report
skanky, she settles herslef down quite well when we leave her, I suppose it's from being in rescue kennels, as soon as anyone gets outside the door, she barks. It sounds terrifying, but Frosty the Snowman will tell you she's a real softie, although a bit crazy, hairy,and with a liking for a cup of tea.
Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, I wouldn't of minded but I did have my snout in there at the time Very Happy
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, rolling eyes
snow conditions
As skanky pointed out there will be a new 8 person gondola between Dolonne and Plan Checrouit which is due to open in 2006/07. Also the old Pra Neyron chair at the top of the gondola will be replaced by by a six-pack. ( source - where to ski and snowboard 2007 ).
latest report
Helen Beaumont, Can't help re the dog, but we have skied at Courmayeur several times and really enjoyed it. The last time was Jan 2005. we stayed at the Hotel Berthod which was small, and very friendly : http://www.hotelberthod.com/ and is a short walk from the main lift (about 5 minutes). Lots of nice restaurants in the village and a very good one just on the left by the nursery slope as you get out of the gondola. We also had great snow Very Happy snowHead (took me a while to dig out the hire car!).

Definitely worth a visit IMHO.
snow report
AxsMan, still searching for the accommodation. The one I though was Ok has now sais they won't accept a three night stay, only one week, despite what their ad said.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy