Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What are the LONGEST skis you've skied on?

Poster: A snowHead
I am afraid that I only tip the scales at a paltry 218cm. And they were a very dull pair of sloppy Salomons.

Someone, somewhere must do a whole load better than that?

(P.S. I am only 175cm myself so I am prepared to take height differential into account...)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Am I the only person never to have skied skiis that were taller than me. 195s are my longest. (gosh that was a dull post)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
223 Blizzard Thermo DH boards circa 1986. Surprisingly easy things to ski, incredibly stable and pivoted easily. Didn't seem that long because everyone was either on 210 GS skis or 203 SLs. Wouldn't swap back from the dwarf skis we get now though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Best I can do is 207, although they were my very own - $20 in the US Army thrift shop in Garmisch.

David Murdoch wrote:
I am prepared to take height differential into account...)
Oh well in that case Linds has it - I think I saw her on 170's once didn't I? Wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
admin, rolling eyes
Remember there are a few shorter people going to be in 2's Alps with you in a copule of weeks
Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Various 213, 218, and 223 Salomon DH skis, and 213 Super G. All full Derbyflex, risers, 14 min setting DIN bindings.

Perfect for most wide open pistes unless you want to turnor avoid bump/people!

therefore I cannot beat the other 223. I have mates who have used circa 240's for speed skiing. Of course the short Japanese ski jumper probably have the best ratio of height to ski length.

give me 160-175 skis anyday.

(BTW anyone want any 200cm SL skis?)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
215 for me (Course GS) I think. Did ski some factory Lange SLs - must have been 205s.....felt like having two iron girders attached to my feet... not much bending there.

I remember wondering whether, on the last pair of straight skis I bought (P20SL's - lovely ski!) whether I could live with a ski as short as 190 !

and at 170 cms (I think) - I'm even shorter than David Murdoch,
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
205 I think now on 166 - Give me the short curvey ones any day. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
203 in Mont Tremblant, Canada. Straight as a die they were. Have had my photo taken with a pair of 228's. Ridiculous.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm going to have a go to the shortest 'longest ski' in the thread ;D

173 cm salomons, while I stand 184 cm heigh;)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hmmmm I've skied my instructors atomic race skis for a few hundred metres......(while he tried mine and pronounced them unskiable IIRC)

he is 6'3" tall... and those were his GS skis.... I have no idea of the number - but they were looooong

me - <160cm tall
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Am I the only person never to have skied skiis that were taller than me. 195s are my longest. (gosh that was a dull post)

no - in fact I have only ever skied 1 pair of skis shorter than me..... when I hired some in Italy they gave me these midget ski things that were lower than top of head height....

the italian instructors told me they gave me "english tourist" length.... (the downhill racer wants me to ski 170cm next time which he will get from some "friends" I'm thinking I'll end up on some uber stiff uber long-for me- skis and am trying to work out how to avoid the whole situation)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

No, i top at 11cm shorter then me Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For me, 189 Movement PowPow Ltd. Ski test at Cas. (im only 175 high)

But the last 5 cm probably dont count because of the big notch in the tails Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Atomic 215, huge great planks.

We didn't ski in the time when skis became shorter as we were having kids.

When we resumed ski-ing I hired some in Flaine and they presented me with some 178s, I remember saying something along the lines of "What the hell am I supposed to do with these tiny things".
snow conditions
little tiger wrote:
hmmmm I've skied my instructors atomic race skis for a few hundred metres......(while he tried mine and pronounced them unskiable IIRC)

he is 6'3" tall... and those were his GS skis.... I have no idea of the number - but they were looooong

me - <160cm tall

But you have the same length boots? Shocked
latest report
I tried a set of 205s at Pontypool a few years ago. They'd just had a new batch of Salomons in, and one of the instructors wanted to have a go on them so he swapped with mine. They were a tad fast for the wet Dendex and me.
snow report
fatbob wrote:
little tiger wrote:

me - <160cm tall

But you have the same length boots? Shocked

at that stage - yes boot sole length same.....

instructor has VERY small feet for VERY large person.... this is good for the skis.... but not so great for his feet (having helped treat some of the pressure sores on those feet I can assure you of the second part)...

My feet are normal sort of size for me sized people... current sole length 284mm - a tad shorter than when we could swap skis.... We did need to change din settings - but a mutli-tool clipped to instructors pants takes care of that very fast...
ski holidays
223 DH skis for a couple of runs and a pair of 249 Flying K boards for all of 500 metres....very scary
latest report
Like other people who learnt in the '60s (at least in Norway) I had my first lessons on skis which reached my finger tips stretched above my head. My current everyday skis are eye-height...
ski holidays
pam w, it does seem a rather 'date thyself' thread, doesn't it.
snow report
pam w, agree with that one 1971 Austria ski length was worked out by putting hand in air and ski measured to finger tips
latest report
228cm Atomics (?) I think. Longest owned 215cm Fischer RC4s.
ski holidays
kevinrhead, comprex, that was when men were men and we wore goggles made of seal bones and chewed pemmican and were grateful to sit around a primus throwing a handful of tealeaves in the billy can prior to rolling in the snow and thrashing each other with birch twigs Twisted Evil . None of yer namby pamby on sweets and hot showers.
snow report
I swapped skis with a friend for part of a run around 12 years ago - I think they were 227s. Not too easy to turn but smashed through everything once they got going. With hindsight I should probably have avoided the bumps though Shocked

There was a British female instructor who worked in Serre Che in the late '80s who wasn't much over 5'. She had a pair of 230s+ that she would regularly take out and ski pretty much anything on. Everyone used to watch in awe.
snow report
I used to have a pair of 195cm K2 TRC with Marker M28 bindings, lord knows how I managed to ski them all day everyday.

I'm 1680cm tall, the K2s must have beel a full foot taller than me!
snow report
In 1975 the son of the founder of Meribel, David Lindsay, lent me a pair of downhill skis to go down the Coire Cas on Cairngorm. He was doing a BASI 2 course on them, if I remember. Most people on the BASI 3 course were on skis at least 200cm long, and the interesting thing is that 'compact' skis (then 170cm to 190cm long) were frowned upon for ski instructing. Can't remember the length of those downhill skis, but I guess it was at least 220cm.

Bearing in mind that the original speed skiers - the goldminers of California in the Sierra in the 1860s - used skis 4m to 5m long, we're just playing at it!
snow report
I ski on 205s at the moment. For XC. For downhill the longest I've used is 193cms
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've skied only 205 Fischer WC SL skis which my shorter brother (just 180cm) owned. My own were 203. I never got to try the real WC GS stuff which was always between 210 and 215...
ski holidays
acualtly thats 168cm.
latest report
pam w, YOU HAD PEMMICAN?!?!
Going green Going green Going green Going green Going green
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:

Bearing in mind that the original speed skiers - the goldminers of California in the Sierra in the 1860s - used skis 4m to 5m long, we're just playing at it!

You mean something like these longboards Shocked
snow conditions
Dave Horsley, I'm not sure XCs count. Althoug, given the efforts involved I am inclined to give you the benefit!!

It's a fair comment that this does date some of us. I skied on 203 SL skis from 1984 until - oh - around 1996 I think then gradually reduced in length until finding myself on 167cm skis. Which is quite ridiculous.

It is interesting (for a whole bunch of reasons) doing the Inferno - where it has been usual to beg borrow or steal something a little straighter and narrower. I have no idea how I used to ski powder on my 203 SLs. Badly I guess. But the nicest things I have skied on (I know, I have mentioned this before) are the 210cm junior girls DH boards that a chum has. Allegedly genuine RD skis from Rossignol they are one of the nicest pair of boards I have riden. Silky, silky smooth - albeit immaculately tuned. Just a delight. Also just a little bit of a handful to carve on a narrow track...
snow conditions
Quote:

pam w, YOU HAD PEMMICAN?!?!

no, sorry, poetic licence... rolling eyes whale steaks, though, honest.
ski holidays
Mmm. Muktuk[/HomerSimpson]
snow report
I skied a pair of 223 downhill skis once - in a tight GS race! that's 58 cms over head height. The longest I ever owned were 207s Atomic red sleds (GS for you youngsters) - very fast, ex factory from Stuart Wilkie. I used to regularly ski around 200 - 203 which is 35ish cms over head. I much prefer my 155 - 165 modern skis though. Very Happy
latest report
Not the longest i've ever skiied, but comparitively, on my first skiing trip in 1991 i was 10 years old and about 4 1/2 foot tall. I have a picture of me on the slopes with a pair of Head 160's on my feet. 15 years on the skis i use now are only marginally longer Shocked
snow report
My first tele skis were 200 cms....and that was with leather boots ! Shocked
snow conditions
205 GS skis. Rock solid at speed.
latest report
1972 223cm Rossignol Descentes. A friend of mine bought them off a broke former US Ski Team member & I ended up buying them off him. I still have them mounted with some Look N77s if anyone wants to try them out.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy