Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes - November

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I'm after some advice. I have two weeks holiday remaining from work, and rather than grab a week lying on a beach somewhere, I thought "why not get some early snow!". We worked out that three trips to Tamworth including skiing sessions and petrol would more or less equate to a long weekend in Tignes.

I've found a few places offering accomodation, and found details on the lift passes. My only problem now is getting there. I live in the midlands, but cannot find any of the low-cost carriers offering flights to Chamberry or Geneve in November. It seems they all start in mid to late December. I even checked the ski-train, which is also in December. I even looked at driving, and setting aside the almost 900 miles, petrol alone would cost £200.

Can anyone offer any advice on the best way to get there in November? Preferably flight and transfer. I'm trying to keep this to 3 days, and as cheap as possible since I'm saving my cash for Xmas in Courchevel. But also to prove quite how cheap you can get a flight, long weekend glacier skiing including lift pass and accomodation in comparison to a few trips to the 'local' "I can't believe its not snow" centre.

Thanks in advance,

Jarv

PS As an alternative, I am open to other suggestions about other areas of Europe which will have decent snow cover in November and be suitable for Intermediate/Advanced and wannabe Expert level.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jarvski, can't help with Tignes, but have been to Hintertux in Nov and there was enough open then for a weekend. Ryanair flights to salzburg are reasonable prices. Then you'd have to hire a car (2.25 hour drive) or train to Mayrhofen and taxi/bus the last bit (about 20-25 mins by taxi). Hotel Rinderof would be ideally based for walking to the gondoler.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jarvski, can you stretch your budget and time to a full week? You could take advantage of this offer. A bit more expensive than a weekend's trip, but maybe better value for money?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jarvski, Why insist on direct flights? Geneva-Tignes is long enough that you probably need bracketing 1/2 days off so fly via London, or probably cheaper, Amsterdam.

Rent a car for the transfer and stay in Val d'Isere - there ought to be marginally more nightlife. The Mercure should be open and should do cheapish rates.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jarvski, Check out BA's fares as well as the LCCs. How far are you away from Stanstead/Luton ? If you fly at unpleasant times (late evening/early morning) you can find some good deals.

Transfers - as in getting on a TO bus - do not happen out if season. But - with careful flight time planning you cann hire a car for 'just' the three days you need.

It takes 3 hrs to get to Tignes from Geneva or Lyon, and in November you'll probably not want to ski past 3pm anyway.

I wouldn't stay in Val d' - what life there is will be in Val Claret (IMO).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jarvski, I'm not sure about your comment "cannot find any of the low-cost carriers offering flights to Chamberry or Geneve in November". Loads of us are flying to Geneva for the PSB in November (which you could also come to if you wished) and the majority of us are flying to Geneva either from Luton, East Midlands or Bristol with either Scum-easyjet and others using BA from LHR (also not a bad price).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jarvski, a big factor in short trips is speed and price of transfer. There is a shuttle bus from Salzburg to Obertauern (supposed season runs from November to May) for €39. There are a lot of resorts close to Salzburg - the glacier at Kaprun is possibly within an hours drive.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for the responses so far. Let me try to respond to some of the points raised.

Ray Zorro, I shall have a look into Hintertux shortly.

rob@rar, Looks good, but I'm not sure I fancy a week of ski-school, although most of the time I'm open for improvement, this time I just want to chill out. Shocked

David Murdoch, I'm not so bothered about direct flights, just simply getting there as quick as possible as it is only for a weekend. Like Ray Zorro said, for a short trip, speed of getting there and transfer is critical. Plus like ski said, I guess it will only be suitable skiing until mid afternoon.

Ray Zorro, Ive had another look on Easyjet, and not sure why I couldnt find it the other day, but managed to get a price on flights for 2 people to Geneva from East Mids, including ski carriage for £150 return. (the ski carriage was more expensive than the passengers!).

I think I need to spend a bit more time this weekend working out the possible dates of departure and return. Then investigating the flights situation and best way to get a transfer to resort. I shall also look at Hintertux, and Kaprun.

Also just found this : http://www.holidayautos.co.uk/cgi-bin/liveweb.sh/QSearch.w?ctryref=GBR&lang=EN&aff=xOneAccount

Might make sense to do our own transfer, and split the cost !

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jarvski wrote:
rob@rar, Looks good, but I'm not sure I fancy a week of ski-school, although most of the time I'm open for improvement, this time I just want to chill out. Shocked

There's not a huge amount of terrain available on the Grand Motte in November, and a fair chunk of it is taken up by ski clubs putting up GS lanes. You might want to bear that in mind when deciding where to go for a bit of pre-season frre-skiing. I'm not sure what it's like on the other glaciers at that time of year.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd agree with Ray that the Hintertux glacier may be in better shape than Tignes in November. Other ones to look at are Solden (now pretty extensive, sometimes with two glaciers operating) or Stubai (lovely scenic valley). It's best to check with resorts which lifts are likely to operate - things can be fickle on glaciers.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, Oh right ... I wasn't aware of that one. Aaaargh.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jarvski, IMV there'll be enough for three days at Tignes....if you're lucky the Leisse will be open - which has some really really nice bumps....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You can always fly to Lyon or Grenoble - a couple of hours later you could be sat looking at the lush green slopes of the Espace Killy....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Action plan abandoned campers.

Managed to find accom @ £160 for a week
Lift passes @ £47 quid
Flights @ £200 appox (inlcuding taxes, and ski carriage) (for 2)
Transfers - nightmare

Was hoping for a cheap and cheerful 3 days skiing in November for £200 per person to prove that it can be done.

--
Looked at Zermatt, Kaprun, Hintertux, and also Tignes.

In my view leisure skiing in Early November, is just awkward because none of the ski travel providers are geared up for it, thus you have to do all the individual components yourself. So spiralling prices for each component, mixed with long transfers totally put me off the idea of a cheap long weekend. I think I will just save the £200 quid for some beer or Xmas pressies in Courchevel. Also like has been mentioned earlier, I was a little put off by the idea that the glacier's could well be over-run with folks on training courses rather than leisure skiing! Plus it seems a lot of them, although they have snow, aren't in perfect condition yet.

Thanks for all that helped though, I had fun navigating all the different sites looking for flights, snow conditions etc.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy