Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beaurocratic loop on the French Railway?

Poster: A snowHead
SNCF has launched a promotion of cheap rail fares between Paris and various Swiss destinations.
19€ each way to Geneve, Zurich, Berne etc. Seems really good.

Now my French is getting better, but I can't quite believe I've got this right.

Aparently:
u can only book these fares up to the 17th Oct
They are for Journeys between the dates of 17th Nov 06 and the 17th Jan 07
But, (here's the catch)
U can only book 30 days ahead of your journey date Confused

Isn't that what this means?
SNCF wrote:
*Offre valable uniquement en 2nde classe du 10 au 17 octobre 2006 au départ de/ à destination de Paris pour des trajets internationaux effectués entre le 10 novembre 06 et le 17 janvier 07. En vente jusqu’à 30 jours avant la date de voyage. Tarif non échangeable et non remboursable, dans la limite des places disponibles. En vente exclusivement sur VSC.

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/daily/deals/lyria/suisse1006.htm#
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
admin, "on sale *up to*" 30 days before" and I *think* from 17th October?

EDIT: I think my from 17th is wrong, looks like 10th-17th? Which is odd as 17th is 31 days before 17th November, so you can't book less than 30 days before anyway.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 13-10-06 10:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My French ain't great either but doesn't it mean you have to book at least 30 days in advance?
snow conditions
 brian
brian
admin wrote:

U can only book 30 days ahead of your journey date Confused

For sale up to 30 days ahead of the date of the journey.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
my french is not too shabby. you;re right Admin, that's a damn strange offer
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jusqu'a can mean "until" as well as "up to" so surely it means you have to book at least 30 days in advance?
snow conditions
 brian
brian
skanky, I thought that too but they're for sale between 10-17 October for journeys 10 Nov to 17 Jan.

So the book "up to 30 days before" condition stops you buying on say the 16th of October for a journey starting on the 11th November.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Arno, yes that's how I understood it, but isn't that what "up to" would mean in that context, ie. they're for sale for a particular date up to 30 days before that date and then no longer on sale ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ideally we need a snowHead who can translate French for us......................................... wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian, yes to both posts. I was on a bit off a tangent, mentally, when I did the date calculation. I was trying to see if I could book our holiday within that time, but it's about two weeks earlier than we were planning to go.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And some people wonder why more of us don't travel by train Wink When SNCF is as easy to book as easyjet I guess I'll be happy to take the train rather than the plane. Language barriers aside, the complexity of booking direct with SNCF makes it just to difficult a proposition at the moment.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
boredsurfin,

Offer valid only in 2nd class from the 10th -17th of October for international journeys to and from Paris travelling between 10th November and 17th January. For sale up to 30 days before the date of travel. No exchanges or refunds, limited places available. For sale exclusively on VSC.

NehNeh
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
brian, i think "up to 30 days in advance" could mean "30 days or less in advance" or "until 30 days before departure" - but in this context, it would be pretty perverse if the former were the correct interpretation.

i'll stop acting like a lawyer now wink
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Arno, got you. SNCF may well be perverse but I think the latter is correct. Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
brian, Useful to know there is an alternative to Google for translations wink

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 13-10-06 11:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
OK, I've been throwing dates at their online booking system and I've found a few trains at 19€ - That's on a TGV which takes under 5hrs from Paris to Berne! Cool

However, just to make those conditions all the stranger there are trains available to book up until Saturday the 9th Dec Confused
This (57days away) almost matches SNCF's normal booking criteria which has a 60day booking horizon.
latest report
 brian
brian
boredsurfin, indeed, www.babelfish.altavista.com !
latest report
 brian
brian
admin, I think 10th Dec is when the Swiss railway changes to its winter timetable.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
admin, SNCF only opened up bookings from 10th Dec today - according to the 'Man in seat 64' rail website who had inside info it should have been the 9th Oct ie last Monday - but when I emailed SNCF last week they said the winter timetable was not accessible to book until today - but there are other time limitations too - it should now normally be 3 months in advance I believe, but at this changeover point they are phasing in the bookings but I think now running until 9th Jan - then there is another date when the next block opens up if I remember correctly.
Hope this vaguely makes sense - I looked for Swiss links today but there seems to be nothing in Dec there possibly because they don't open up the bookings for the new timetable I think until November - info from a Swiss loving snowHead in a previous thread.
So may be a great offer but am not sure how you access the early/mid-Dec dates and still book 30 days in advance! Confused
ski holidays
I'm waiting to book SNCF from paris to bourg st. maurice for February 23rd (overnight), but thought it was exacty 3 months before. Since this is the french school holidays, I expect that that this will be a pretty popular train, so I was going to try to do it on November 23rd. Is it usually possible to book at exactly 3 months before? Is it ever possible to book more than 3 months before? Thanks
ski holidays
I speak semi-fluent french having lived there on and off in my lifetime and studying it at uni at the moment. The small print actually says the tickets are on sale until 30days before the journey date. However this summer I travelled from Geneva to the South of France with SNCF and they had the same stipulation stated in the small print exactly like in your case. I booked less than 2 weeks before I travelled and when I noticed this I tried to contact SNCF but could never get through (probably because i m english!). Anyway i proceeded to buy the ticket and everything was fine.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jml, the tickets do turn up day by day at midnight. Although that's French time so it could be 11PM here Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy