Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which board to buy when I get my old age pension?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
To overcome the shock of opening a letter starting "Our records show you are approach State Pension age" I would like to spend the first few weeks' hard-earned winnings on a snowboard. At present I have one bought dirt cheap in a Swiss factory outlet by a friend who works in Zurich. A make nobody has heard of (Frantic). I am a beginner, can now get down blues and easy reds without falling (much) and hope to improve a lot this coming season. I was wondering whether a better board would speed up the process but don't know what to buy. I have no plans to do anything in a park and will keep overall speed down, not wanting to have spectacular crashes (I have no problem with unspectacular ones). Mostly on-piste but also some off-piste. I am in the mountains much of the winter, and choose only the nicest days, with the softest snow, to board. If it's icy I ski. Or read a book or make a nice casserole. I want a flexible, forgiving sort of board which won't wear me out. I am regular but my daughter, who borrows the board, is basically goofy but discovered she likes to ride "duck" and although she is also a beginner she started riding fakie from the outset - her first button lift she went all the way up left foot forward, the next time she did the same right foot forward. So I guess I also want a board which is the same both ends, despite not wanting to get into the park. My daughter is a bit lighter and shorter than me, but, unsurprisingly, younger so the same board could possibly suit us both.

Any suggestions? Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
have a look at this website

www.truesnowboards.com

they do a nice ladies board that is a twin tip (true spirit) and has a good bit of flex, should suit an intermediate rider as well as a beginer ( I am getting one to learn a bit more freestyle sort of stuff although I have beeen riding for around 10 years now, (I doubt you will find me in a park though!)
You can contact them through the website for advice on choosing one.

Full price is only £225 delivered to your door, but if your daughter happens to be a student you could get a £75 discount!!

Tell them oopalley sent you! Little Angel
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yes definately get a better board it will make a massive difference.

I'd recomend a sapient solstice. Absolutely awesome board ( i ride it) great to help you improve

you can even buy one through me if you want!

other boards i'd recomend would be a nitro fate, ride vista.

i am not a burton fan but they make some decent boards in other people opinion and might be worth looking at!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
oopalley, thanks, I've sent them an email. snowangel., will look up those boards too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, when you try out a few boards try some that are 10cm or so longer than you are used to. It's not harder to control, just a different feeling. You'll also like the added stability.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, by the way i get you a massive discount when you buy through me!

I'd also be very weary of buying from an unknown brand, you may as well be buying a decathelon board!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Your welcome Pam,

To be fair, it is very difficult to buy a poor board these days, it's just a question of getting the right type for what you want to do, at a price your comfortable paying. The board you have is probably way more advanced than most boards on the market a decade ago, and we all survived!

An entry level board won't last you very long at all as it sounds like you are both going to progress very nicely and would soon grow out of it.

Equally though, an advanced board will be beyond you for the time being and might just put you both off, being generally stiffer and harder to control at slower speeds.

It sounds like a twin shaped board would suit your daughter whereas you might prefer a directional board.

I havn't had a true twin before (which is why I fancy one now), they are usually softer in the centre for riding rails and stuff so not so good when you get more confidence and want to get up to speed on the longer runs (and I am guessing you are a skier so you will likely want to, once you build up your confidence), but I should think it would be fine for you at this stage.

You can compromise with a directional twin which will be better at speed in one direction and is usually a bit stiffer than the true twin, but the twin shape means it is much easier to ride switch. (I have a Forum Joni Malmi which is a directional twin and a fantastic board but I think could be a little stiff for improving on).

A womens specific board will be narrower and softer so easier to handle. But it depends on your weight (weight is more important then height) and fitness, there are plenty of mens boards that could suit just as well. Don't limit yourself to a womens board just because you are women- there are fewer to choose from! I managed perfectly well on mens boards until a couple of years ago. -I don't think they did womens specific boards when I started!

Just a quick point on the weight thing... manufacturers tend to state a wide weight range on boards - this means they have a wider customer base - try to stick as near to the middle of the range as you can, this way you are riding as close to the weight it was designed for and not at it's limits.

Most importantly - remember that your daughter will soon want her own board anyway - so you should probably put your needs first!! Madeye-Smiley

Oh, and once you're in the market for an advanced board, you can't go wrong wtih a Nitro Black Widow. It really is great on the ice!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy