Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Tirol wrote:
Anybody been skiing at Ischgl around Easter time?

yeah, I've been there twice at easter ... once was 98 or 99 ... the same season they had the massive avalanche up the road at Galtur ... that was a very big season for snow and there was plenty of it around but it was a bit slushy in the afternoons ... i think it was a late easter and was pretty warm

went again 2 years ago and it was very good conditions but i think easter might have been around 25th March that year so fairly early

i've not been to the higher resorts you mention at that time of year but i imagine they would be better snow conditions purely because of the height although the Arlberg traditionally has a very good late season snow record ..

Ischgl is very good fun at Easter though as everyone's in party mood and the slopes tend to be fairly quiet in the mornings as everyone's getting over big hangovers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cheers RichA, looking at the piste map the vast majority of runs seem to be at or above 2000m so the snow should be good but having a glaicer nearby does provide a bit of security if things get warm.

For what its worth I found both Solden and the Stubai to be good options at Easter (Solden slightly better IMO due the main lifts coming straight out of the town rather than having to bus it). Fancied a change this year.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Neilski wrote:
JUST BOOKED HOTEL GARNI-IDA FOR A WEEK IN MARCH B&B 4STAR WITH INGHAMS @ 533PP INC FLIGHTS AND TRANSFERS SEEMED GOOD TO ME snowHead

Our group of 5 have just booked a 1/2 board week with flights & transfers to Total's new chalet-hotel in the centre of Ischgl from 10th April for £590 each. Seems an even better deal to me considering 5 year's worth of inflation and a sh1ttier exchange rate. snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
moffatross, Well done you snowHead You will have a great time Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Neilski, thanks. Smile I've had sixteen days skiing so far in 2011 but all of them have involved driving home at the end of the day. Skiing back to the hotel doorstep to enjoy a bit of Oom-Pah, gluwein & wheat beer will make a change. Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
moffatross, Just got back on Saturday. Hope you have a good a time as I did.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
moffatross wrote:
Neilski wrote:
JUST BOOKED HOTEL GARNI-IDA FOR A WEEK IN MARCH B&B 4STAR WITH INGHAMS @ 533PP INC FLIGHTS AND TRANSFERS SEEMED GOOD TO ME snowHead

Our group of 5 have just booked a 1/2 board week with flights & transfers to Total's new chalet-hotel in the centre of Ischgl from 10th April for £590 each. Seems an even better deal to me considering 5 year's worth of inflation and a sh1ttier exchange rate. snowHead

abentrot ?, it's fantastic in every way , the food especially but the location and the staff are both excellent , just remember to take no1 red piste back and you can ski/slide to within about 60 feet of the chalet Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gad wrote:
abentrot ?, it's fantastic in every way , the food especially but the location and the staff are both excellent , just remember to take no1 red piste back and you can ski/slide to within about 60 feet of the chalet Very Happy

gad, thanks for that. Having had three French Easter trips on the trot, Austria beckoned again & I was pleased we could get any deal in Ischgl within budget and what I've read of the Abenrot is all positive. But to have another snowhead give it the thumbs up is very reassuring. Very Happy

We're a mixed group (between 50 and 300 days skiing experience per person) but don't really know what to expect of the mountains above Ischgl and have no idea what the weather will do for the slopes over the next three weeks either. I'll pack my BC gear and should the opportunities arise, I'll be able to take advantage but as I like Austria for its deep respect for beer and its cultural understanding that wholesome food like fried potatoes, pork and stodgy desserts are essential for good health and happy skiing, a week inbounds on the last of the season's snow will be quite satisfying too. snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
moffatross, like you say it really depends how the weather plays over the next few weeks. In terms of comparison with French resorts much of the skiing is above 2000m (so a rough comparison would be above 2300m in a French resort given the couple of degrees C shift west to east). The other big advantage is that a lot of the skiing is north facing.

There are lots of off piste opportunities and I'd definitely take your gear and consider a guide.

http://www.schneesport-akademie.at/

I notice that http://www.freeride-map.com/index.php?cid=100&lid=2&cat_id=4 do a map for the area. The maps are quite nice, but I'm not sure they are really worth the money.

I've been skiing in Ischgl in the last week of April (and into May) and had fresh powder, but of course it is spring and so firn skiing is more likely to be on the cards and there's nothing wrong with that.

Along with a cold beer on a sunny terrace... Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
moffatross wrote:
gad wrote:

gad, thanks for that. Having had three French Easter trips on the trot, Austria beckoned again & I was pleased we could get any deal in Ischgl within budget and what I've read of the Abenrot is all positive. But to have another snowhead give it the thumbs up is very reassuring. Very Happy

We're a mixed group (between 50 and 300 days skiing experience per person) but don't really know what to expect of the mountains above Ischgl and have no idea what the weather will do for the slopes over the next three weeks either. I'll pack my BC gear and should the opportunities arise, I'll be able to take advantage but as I like Austria for its deep respect for beer and its cultural understanding that wholesome food like fried potatoes, pork and stodgy desserts are essential for good health and happy skiing, a week inbounds on the last of the season's snow will be quite satisfying too. snowHead

if i'm honest with you unless conditions change and it snows really heavily forget about the off piste and just take some decent carving skis because without the copious amounts of snow cannons that cover pretty much every run it would be pretty bad by now , it's very packed down with the dusting from the cannons covering the top.

but the runs are all easily do-able to anyone with any real experience and it's a great resort to build up your confidence, stamina and sausage eating abilities.

as for the abentrot there's a bad report just appeared on trip advisor , ignore it , it was someone from a mixed group of women and men but some of the men wore socks with sandals and they didn't like women wink , it mentions james who does the guiding and how good he was but they had the audacity to complain about him to the manager that he used the term "guys" to address their group complaining it was sexist rolling eyes .
some people are only happy when they're unhappy aren't they Mad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy