Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl or Solden? Which has the best skiing.

Poster: A snowHead
I have been looking at a few ski resorts in Austria and i have narrowed it down to Ischgl and Solden.

Both look good but i was a little put off with Solden as the village looks spread out and most of the Hotels are not close to the lifts, but the piste map looked good with plenty of long runs and its got a glacier.

Ischgl however looks more compact and the piste map seems to me has a big extensive area into Switzerland. The only thing that puts me off is the runs back down to the resort as i have read other reviews it can get busy with to many out of control or beginners.

So out of the two, which is best for extensive skiing, ski to the hotel and good apres ski?

Any recomendations of good Hotels in Ischgl or Solden.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When are you looking on going? The runs down to Ischgl can be problematic in peak season but should be fairly ok/decent off peak.

I havent been to Solden but i have been to Ischgl and i enjoeyd it immensly - great nightlife too...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
surfski, It's easy ebough to avoid the runs back down to Ischgl using either of two gondolas......
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
surfski, I went to Ischgl this year and Solden in 2005.

I think both resorts have busy runs back to the resort as there are only a couple in each of them.

I think they are both excellent areas, but I think the lift system in Ischgl shades it for me.
The uplifts from the resort in Solden seems to get very busy at 9AM.
Wheras the uplifts in Ischgl seems to be more consitent throughout the morning (probably due to people sleeping off hangovers).

I stayed in the Birkenhof in Solden (via Neilson) and that was a nice little family run place.
In Ischgl I stayed in the Fliana as part of a DIY trip - a very nice hotel.

There are loads of great hotels in Ischgl - catering for a higher end budget.

Next year we are staying in the Hotel Albona (via Inghams) - this too is a good 4* hotel.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ Markus, im thinking of going the 2nd week in January as the slopes in other resorts seem to be quiet.
Is the snow relaible that time of year in Austria as we have always gone to Italy in January the same weeks?

@ Ski, yes i have heard that if it looks too busy, i can use the gondolas to get down to the resort so thats no problem for me.

Sounds to me Ischgl sounds right for us as we hate crowded and long queues for the lifts.

I have looked at Inghams and the Jagerhof Hotel looks nice and it says it has a moving walkway to the lifts and the centre of the village.
Can anyone recommend this hotel and is it in a good location Puzzled
Also is English widely spoken in Ischgl Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
surfski, obviously there is the possibilty of having rubbish snow, but historically Austria seems to have very good early snow. Couple that with the fact that its mostly pastureland and not too rocky, this normally ensures good conditions in December and early January. Ischgl is also one of the higher Austrian resorts so you should be fine... Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
surfski, can't comment on the hotel itself, but it is in a good location for all 3 uplifts (I just checked my Ischgl streetplan).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't know the Jagerhof but it looks pretty central on the map .... The town is fairly compact but a bit hilly in places and most times I've been there we've tended to get lockers to leave the skis in cos the apres tends to make you forget where you left them.

If you're going independently the Romantica is in a top location .. right next to the piste and the Trofana Alm - well worth a visit.

http://www.romantica.at/html/en/index.htm
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
surfski wrote:
Also is English widely spoken in Ischgl Puzzled

English is widely spoken/understood by every major ski resort in Austria. Austria is host not only to Germans but many other nationalities inc Brits, Scandi's and crazy Dutchmen amongst others. Whenever there's a mix of nationalities in Europe, English tends to be the 'common' language.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the info from everyone. Smile

@ RichA, Where can i find a streetplan map of Ischgl as i cant find one anywhere on the net Puzzled

@ Markus, sounds good then if there is not to many rocks. It means it doesnt have to have alot of snow to cover the slopes, we should be fine. Very Happy

Looking at all the hotels mentioned The Albona looks ok but its not central compared to the Jagerhof, both are with Inghams.
Checked availabilty in January and its either 6th or the 20th for both Hotels. I think going on the 20th would be a better bet as the resort may have more snow.

@ DB, Sounds OK as im no good speaking German.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ISCHGL. No Contest!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Markus wrote:
surfski, obviously there is the possibilty of having rubbish snow, but historically Austria seems to have very good early snow. Couple that with the fact that its mostly pastureland and not too rocky, this normally ensures good conditions in December and early January. Ischgl is also one of the higher Austrian resorts so you should be fine... Very Happy

90% of the Ischgl ski area is above 2000m.

I've been to Solden and Ischgl (same places as Bleaks for some funny reason Very Happy ). I wrote a trip report for Solden here.

I'd advise you to go to both. They are both fantastic. I'd go to Solden first though, because frankly once you've been to Ischgl, you'll not want to go anywhere else ever again. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agree with Bob: ISCHGL, no contest.
The first time I went I stayed in 'Piz Tasna' and recommend it wholeheartedly, the friendliest place I have stayed at, very informal, superb food, wonderful 'wellnes' (no swimming pool, mind you). Very short walk to the lift... no not a ski lift, a lift that takes you down into the Dorftunel where you get onto a short moving walkway to Fimbabahn. AND, you can ski back directly to the hotel.

But if you settled on Jagerhof it is just in front of the 'Dorflift' I just mentioned, and close to where I stayed, if memory serves. Late in the evening apres the Apres... you will have to walk up an incline as the lift will have probably closed for the day...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Turns'n'turns, We have decided to go to Ischgl January 20th with Inghams and staying at the Jagerhof Hotel as it looks very central and right next to the moving walkway to the lifts.
Not worried about doing to much Apres as we are normally to tired by 10pm and in bed just after.
http://www.jaegerhof-ischgl.at/

Lager, looked at Solden very much but we did'nt like how the slopes were layed out on the piste map. It did'nt seem very well linked and it looked a bit of a nightmare if the weather was bad and prone to wind closure on the lifts.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
surfski, I'd appreciate some feedback as we are going in March and staying at the Jaegerhof too.
snow conditions
surfski wrote:

@ RichA, Where can i find a streetplan map of Ischgl as i cant find one anywhere on the net Puzzled

http://www.ischgl.at/index_wi.php?menue=ort&sub=ortsplan

double click to enlarge and the Jaegerhof is number 43

there used to be a really good 'interactive' map on one of the offical Ischgl websites but it's either gone or I can't find it anymore
ski holidays
hayley t wrote:
surfski, I'd appreciate some feedback as we are going in March and staying at the Jaegerhof too.

Sure will let you know when i get back. Just hope the snow is as good as last year in Austria.
snow report
RichA wrote:
surfski wrote:

http://www.ischgl.at/index_wi.php?menue=ort&sub=ortsplan

double click to enlarge and the Jaegerhof is number 43

there used to be a really good 'interactive' map on one of the offical Ischgl websites but it's either gone or I can't find it anymore

Is this of any help, http://www.ischgl.com/winter/ViewLink.asp?Link=http://www.ischgl.com/winter/userfiles/PDF/ortsplan_06.pdf&Site=ISCHGL-WINTER

I just had to find some sort of streetplan but it would be great if i could find a map with all the hotels, shops, etc locations where on the map with the index numbers.
snow report
RichA wrote:

Here's a map that can be zoomed in on http://www.ischgl.com/winter/userfiles/PDF/ortsplan_06.pdf
snow conditions
Is there any such thing in Ischgl as a ** or *** hotel offering a combination of single and twin rooms to a group of 10 ish men for a long weekend mid-end Jan for max £50 pppn b&b, walking distance to lifts ?
latest report
Hi Masmith,
We have booked this place:
http://members.aon.at/schmid.ischgl/
for the end of February - cost is €59 per person per night (so this is less than your £50 budget Very Happy ). I have not been to Ischgl yet - but my uncle and a group of his friends have been going to Ischgl for the last couple of years - this year some of them stayed in the Schmid Pension and they thought that it was one of the best pensions that they have stayed in over the years. My uncle did not stay there this year but he said if/when they go back next year there will be a scramble to get into the Schmid pension. The girl that deals with the bookings is Simone - she seems extremely helpful and has very good English. A couple of our group had to book into a pension next door:
http://www.tanzer-ischgl.at/
This one is a bit more expensive - €75 per night (even though on their site I think that it was advertised as €65).

Hope this helps,

Killeagh
snow report
masmith wrote:
Is there any such thing in Ischgl as a ** or *** hotel offering a combination of single and twin rooms to a group of 10 ish men for a long weekend mid-end Jan for max £50 pppn b&b, walking distance to lifts ?

Accomodation owners in prime locations do not tend to rent out in advance for a few days. By renting to you for a few days they would most likely lose a full weeks rent. If they have space they will probably book you in at short notice. The hotels that will take part-week bookings in advance tend to price accordingly.
snow conditions
DB is spot on - It took me about 30 emails to different hotels and pensions to get a room Friday to Monday - that was for the last weekend in March.

In the end I had to pay through the nose to get a room at 200E a night.
snow report
DB, stephen bleakley, thought as much, worth a shot though.

Killeagh, appreciate the links, will bear them in mind nearer the time.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy