Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Backcountry Binding Adaptors

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just having a browse through some websites and catalogues and found adaptors for touring with ordinary Alpine gear.
eg.
http://www.wildsnow.com/articles/alpine_trekker/trekker_review.htm

Has anyone in snowheads ever tried such a gadget?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No but the reports are that they are OK for short, flat-ish tours but a bit of a nightmare if you're going across a steep side hill. The added weight makes them undesirable for long tours. Also they don't work with a lot of Look/Rossi bindings
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not used them myself but I understand that they make the whole set up quite heavy especially when used with downhill boots. Accordingly they are ok for occasional use but not generally recommended for multi-day touring. I am sure that the At cew among us will hav emore direct experience.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep - I've got a pair. snowHead

I've not used them rolling eyes , because I'd rather tour on my teles snowHead ... I have seen them used, and seen them ping out of alpine bindings doing kick turms. Shocked

Unless you have a fat ski/binding combination that you really really like, and don't want to change...then Fritchis or Naxos are (IMO) a better idea.... snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I used them once for a week, however we were just using skins with a guide to find the best powder. It was not a touring trip as such. The whole group of eight people used them with no problems.

One limitation is that they do not enable the use of ski crampons (harscheisen or couteax as they are often known), which would be a limitation for serious touring. We did manage one steepish climb, which was the Weisshorn - turn left out of the Kleine Matterhorn top station and start climbing, however the snow was in good condition on the ascent and not icy.

I liked them because it meant I could use my normal downhill skis which was great for the descents.

The other disadvantage is that they do add weight which is the opposite of what you normally want with touring gear.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

One limitation is that they do not enable the use of ski crampons

I think BCA do market a crampon for them .....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

turn left out of the Kleine Matterhorn top station and start climbing

Isn't that the Breithorn ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski wrote:
Quote:

turn left out of the Kleine Matterhorn top station and start climbing

Isn't that the Breithorn ?

Thank you - I think you are correct!

I knew it was somethinghorn. I seem to recall it took a couple of hours of hot slogging to get up it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hellfiresliding, I have not used Trekkers myself, and have heard of guides refusing to take people more than an hour or so off the beaten track with them because of the likelihood of them breaking. As ski says, something like the Frischis or Naxos would do fine as an all-round binding, so I'd go for those rather than getting Trekkers. I have them (F. Freerides) on my skis and find them fine for just about everything - have used them quite happily off-piste, hooning around on-piste, backcountry, bumps (although I wouldn't want to go competition-style in them). Only downside of mine is they are now getting a bit worn at the freeheel release - a known problem with that model, but I am led to believe that the more recent model is a bit beefier. Wouldn't really recommend them for proper racing, but then I wouldn't recommend the skis you'd put them on for proper racing either.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've used them. They're not too bad, it's quite difficult to get in and out of them and you really shouldn't plan to use them for long period of times. Great for little excersions though, OK on the way up then you have your alpine set up on the way down which is awesome. Not a bad option for having a little play around but not a real alternative to AT bindings.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've had a pair of Alpine Trekkers for about 10 years and they're fine for day tours, but I got mine before the Diamir binding was available, when touring bindings were really not good in terms of downhill performance. I have used them for various day tours including doing the Breithorn at Zermatt, but only one overnighter doing the Pigne d'Arolla, when we got turned around by bad weather on day two anyway.

They have various problems, as Arno says they're not ideal for traversing steep slopes because of the extra height and slightly precarious feeling, although the extra flex does give you a bit more available ankle rotation meaning it's sometimes possible to get the skins flatter on the slope when traversing, which can be useful. Don't agree with GrahamN's guide about them being notorious for breaking though - what they ARE notorious for is lengthening slightly during the day - you have to watch out for this and carry a coin or something to adjust them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy