Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heel Lifts for Snowboard Boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been boarding for about 6 years - getting on okay.
I'm on my second pair of boots since I started, the first were quick release which I didn't take to at all.
I've had my current boots for a couple of years. They are really comfy. They don't rub, my feet don't hurt at the end of the day, so I believe I'm doing a lot better than most.

HOWEVER, when turing I can feel my heel lifting slightly.

I have very very slim ankles compared to my calf. (I can't get a pair of normal boots to zip up around my calf (too much time at the gym and walking I think))

So I think the main problem is with the stiffness of the boarding boot I can't pull the laces tight enough around my ankle. I don't think they will physically go that small.

I think putting some sort of heel lift underneath (or in?) my liner would help.

SO can anyone suggest a make of heel lifts.

I know normally the best thing to do would be new boots, but I like these boots and would really like to hang on to them.

Any suggestions please.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
See a good boot fitter, get them to cut an ankle pad from medium density foam and stick it between your liner and your boot. It'll fit like new.

Good luck.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
parlor,
Thanks for that suggestion.

I'm stuck up in Fife in Scotland, does anyone have a suggestion for a good boot fitter in the central belt of Scotland.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agree with Parlor - It's not a difficult job to do - a piece of foam cut to look like a big spanner it'll grip around the ankle bones and take some of the excess volume out.

Alternatively and a much more pricey alternative would be to invest in a Zip Fit liner. This isn't going to come cheap but a zip fit will last longer than your shells and then when you need new boots you can take your zip fits with you to get the smae excellent comfort and heel hold in your new boots
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dme,
Do I need to get a zip fit liner from a boot fitter too, or is this something I can buy on the internet/mail order.
I'm not opposed to spending the money, just to parting company with a pair of boots that don't otherwise cause me any problems.
I had enough problems with hire boots and and my first pair to not want to repeat the experience.
I only manage to get away for one week a year (plus an occasional day to Aviemore), so I don't want to loose the first couple of days of my hols with boot problems,

Thanks everyone for your help.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
SnowboardVicky, Go with parlor's route, a (good) bootfitter will keep them fitting well and if your boots are still comfortable and stiff enough for your riding style, keep them as long as they stay waterproof and in one piece. The 'new gear every year' crowd either ride with Shawn White or talk bollux . . . there aren't that many in the first group wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Okay, I've done a quick google search and there is a boot fitters in Edinburgh called Footworks (Inside the Snowline shop).

I will make an appointment to go in and see them unless someone shouts loudly and tells me there's a reason I shouldn't go use them in particular or suggests someone else.

Thank - looks like a may be on the road to getting sorted. I'll let you know how I get on.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SnowboardVicky, If you're only doing one week a year the zip fit may be a bit extravagant because you're not going to get any change out of £150. You would also need to get it properly fitted by a decent boot fitter.

On the basis of one week a year I would probably go with the ankle foam solution.

To be honest you are only suffering a problem that probably 98% of snowboarders suffer with at some point in time. Unfortunately for the most part snowboard boot design is still some way behind ski boot design and in terms of heel lift issues they are far from perfect.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SnowboardVicky, can't give you anyone very close but you might want to try Snowlines in Edinburgh, Cairngorm mountain sports in Aviemore, or craigdon in perth, all of these places should be able to resolve such a simple problem with ease Little Angel
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
i was helping a mate choose some boots at TSA last season and she asked about heel lift. the assistant was of the opinion that heel lift wasnt about poorly fitting or adjusted boots, but was caused by a boarders technique. actually 'poor technique' were the words he used - but im with the way i board im never going to say that about some one!

maybe have a days private lessons on your next trip and specifially tell the instructor you want to eliminate heel lift.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SnowboardVicky, my previous set of snowblades used soft/snowboard bindings, i found i had some heel lift, i bought a set of vans boots (cant remember the model though) and this did the trick, will post again when/if i remember.
graeme
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i think they where the vans fargo boots, i know they deffo had the boa lace system in them. internal liner held heel in place,
graeme
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy